cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Payment Plan ... Cash Grab ??

MattinToronto
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

With  no baked in subsidy did you not just tell people who want new phones to pay the same for service, but pay more for the phone ?

Every person who paid X for their plan before will pay X plus >15 bucks ?

But with the same contract lengths and penalties ?

Seems like a sneaky way to make more on post paid customers. If you have plans to drop the price per month for plans to reflect the cost of the monthly payment that would solve my issue. Otherwise anyone who wants a new phone just got a rate hike no matter how you spin it. Would have been nice to get a heads up in one of those spammed out emails you send out....

9 REPLIES 9

mikem1
I'm a participant level 2

I always enjoy when they say a client is in accurate. I am not in Ontario but in Alberta. Change to the new plan, which costs the same. No subsidized. If I do exactly the same as one year ago, new iPhone 8 (which is what I do have now) on your "new" plan is $14.99 a month to finance and $85 for the plan.!you are wrong!!!!!' Do the math, I have 5 times and every time I pay significantly more. Try again without the rhetoric. Do hard cost and remember, some clients are actually aware and smart.

Hello Mikem1,

Welcome to the community!

What FidoSaad noted was that you're trying to upgrade your device with a previous subsidised plan. If you're doing it online, the system is providing you the plan rate for a subsidised plan which is no longer compatible with financing devices. That's why he noted it was inaccurate. If you do the math with the proper values, the total for the iPhone 7 and 10GB is $89.99 (even for Alberta).

phone.jpg

~taken from Fido.ca

Note the values are subject to change. If the system is not providing the correct values, you would need to contact customer service for the upgrade.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MattinToronto,

@MattinToronto wrote: With  no baked in subsidy did you not just tell people who want new phones to pay the same for service, but pay more for the phone ?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I quite understand. Do you mean you have a BYOP plan? Those plans do not have any subsidy towards a phone. If you wish to subsidise a new phone, you will have to switch to a plan which has sufficient subsidy for your desired phone. Depending on your choosen phone, there may also be upfront costs.

Yes, the subsidy model is different from a tab model or the more recently available leasing model.

With the subsidised model, the subsidy is incorporated into the plan (ie small, large, etc). On the other hand, with the tab model, the monthly plans and tabs are separate. Since the subsidy is incorporated into the plan, your plan does not automatically switch to a BYOP plan at the end of a contract. It remains your previous plan, should you wish to subsidise another device. If you did not wish to subsidise another phone, you would have to switch to a BYOP plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch.

You should note that the details of the in-market BYOP plans may or may not be the same as your current plan. It is not possible to keep your current plan and merely remove the subsidy.

Similarly, if you later decide you wish to subsidise a phone after switching to a BYOP plan, you would have to take a subsidised plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch. Again, the plan details of that plan may or may not include the details of your previous subsidised plan (or 'current' BYOP plan).

@MattinToronto wrote:..But with the same contract lengths and penalties ?...

If you do have a BYOP plan, you would not be on contract as those plans are month-to-month.

@MattinToronto wrote:.. anyone who wants a new phone just got a rate hike no matter how you spin it...

If you wish to subsidise a phone, you'll have to pay more than a BYOP plan. When your phone has been paid-off (fulfilled or buyout contract), you can certainly switch back to a BYOP plan. There is no rate hike.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @MattinToronto 

Welcome to the Fido Community! I shop mobile a lot we have multiple account in my family with diverse providers.  But Fido is the best everytime for me!

I understand your point of view but this is not Koodo it's Fido.  The way they calculate the phone is $0 and not a monthly cost associated towards the phone (tab) that would drop your phone cost / remaining cost. However... when you are close to your 2 year contract term and shopping for a new phone Fido in the past I was offered to renew in advance meaning they waved out the remain 150$ or so.

Plans amount change XL now we have XXL and next XXXL maybe Lol!  

The point is you getting the phone at $0 and generally if you are like me and compare them all. (Except Freedom cause they don't really have a network.)  then you are likely to come to the conclusion/ choice you pay 0$ for the phone (its kinda included in the plan cost) but you have no upfront cost.    While Koodo runs a tab but really it's all the same at the end if you look at the plan cost!   the fact that you see the tab going down and lets say you tab is now 150 left to pay. for maybe you could switch to a BYOP plan that would be cheaper but the plan are often as expensive and you probably have a better plan now. so there is no incitative to pay it off faster.  On the other end you get a deal when you are closer to the end of your contract with Fido. Sort of a negotiating par. That is on top of other promo current at the time of your renegociating.

I do not know which pubilicity email you are refering too so maybe post a screenshoot.  The pub changes every day!  if you are shopping check the Fido.ca for the latest promo. 

Hoping prices are going down in Canada.  Or there are the E-sim possibility if you love Google like me! Smiley

Cheers!

petemj
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

It looks like a cash grab to me as well. My old small plan for $40 a month  allows me to get a new phone in the "small" range for $0 every 2 years.  Now i cannot even add a new phone to my plan as it forces you to select a more expensive plan and pay 10 or more bucks a month.

Hello Petemj,

Unfortunately, the cost of new phones has increased over the years and the amount of subsidy contained in some older plans is not sufficient to adequately subsidise those phones. It's not a cash grab if the phones cost more.

One perk of being a loyal customer is that Fido will generally allow you to keep grandfathered plans. While  there may be slight price increases to account for the rise in cost of providing services, those plans will usually be cheaper than the in-market plans. If you wish to keep your plan, you could purchase a new phone outright or subsidise a phone with upfront costs (if it's still possible with the amount of subsidy contained within your plan). Alternatively, there might be some new older phones for which your current plan might have enough subsidy. The newer phones cost more. If you want a new phone, you'll have to pay more.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mikem1

The difference is in the removal of subsidized plans. I have went trhough this scenario with 5 different carriers. Rogers and Fido both have done this. 1 year ago, I got an Iphone 8 on the subsidized plan for $85/mnth on the large plan. $0 down, that's it, period. Now to do exactly the same thing again, I have to pay $95/mnth for the same plan and then finance a new phone, let's say an Iphone 7, yes a downgrade, (they still offer, even though Apple discontinued)....... So now, it is $95 + $14.99 /mnth (oh yeah, after bill credit). So now, for the same  plan "upgrade" and "upgrading" the phone to an Iphone 7 (haha), I would be paying $110 /mnth. I don't care how you slice it, this is definately more than the $85/mnth with the subsidized Iphone 8. I have asked calling in to have this clarified and no one can do the same as I had before. IT IS MORE. there is plenty of retoric, but they can not do it. I have checked 3 other national carriers that are competitors and the best had $110 /mnth, I would get 20GB /mnth and an Iphone 11 with $0 down on thier subsidized plan, with no extra "financing" charge. I have been with Fido for almost 10 years and I feel there is no loyalty to the client. 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @mikem1

Unfortunately that is inaccurate. If you're currently on a subsidized Large plan and looking to upgrade again, you will have to switch to a Fido Payment Program plan.These new plans are much cheaper, and you can find details on what's available for you line on Fido.ca

So for example if you're currently in Ontario and looking to upgrade with an Iphone 7 on a 10 GB price plan. You'll be financing that phone for less than $90. For an exact quote, we would invite to reach out to us at these channels, and an agent will go over the available promotions and bill credits applicable.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to check out our Fido Payment Program FAQ page.

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @petemj 

Wow! They may not carry older phone as long as they used too cause it changes so fast!  the phone are more expensive or newer.. or what kind of phone for $0 can you get on small plan?  In which province?

If you BYOP it is sometimes more expensive because the plans are different.

But again there is often promotions and they can change daily so look often and be ready for so you score a deal. 🙂

Good luck to you ✌️