Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charged

ggangwoo
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi community,

I went to Mexico on 15th June and got an automatic roaming massage.

I didn't want the service, so I turned on the airplane mode.

But $12 charged on my bill!

I read postings that apps automatically use data in short time.

Does anyone get fee waived for this kind of situation?

$12 isn't a lot of money, but I didn't want the service.

3 REPLIES 3

Lololo
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hi @FidoSaira ,

I must flag this topic as not answered. You are misleading Fido customers in your answer below, where you say:

"

The following usages would trigger the fee:

• Outgoing SMS/MMS
  • Calls (making a call, responding to a call)
  • Using data on apps
  • Retrieving voicemails

"

The fee is triggered ONLY when one turns on Data Roaming on their smartphones AND confirm through text ROAM to 222 (it does NOT suffice to trigger the fee by sending/receiving a random SMS or placing/receiving a random call!), as per here: Fido-Roam-FAQ and here Fido Travel  (see screenshots below).

It has been like this since Fido introduced this service several years ago and I have never received a notification from Fido of change of "rules".

I was recently charged on my several lines on my account these fido roam fees, (a) without having data roaming on on my phones and (b) without any confirmation by SMS to 222 those respective days! I requested an investigation on this, requiring full refund!

20190927 fido screenshot data roam FAQ.jpg20190927 fido screenshot data roam.jpg

Hello Lololo,

I also replied to your other post here.

@Lololo wrote:..

The fee is triggered ONLY when one turns on Data Roaming on their smartphones AND confirm through text ROAM to 222 (it does NOT suffice to trigger the fee by sending/receiving a random SMS or placing/receiving a random call!), as per here: Fido-Roam-FAQ and here Fido Travel  ...

As explained in the other thread, modern phones automatically roam. The statement to enable data roaming on the webpage is to remind people it needs to be enabled to use data. Texting Roam to 222 does not enable Fido Roam, it only confirms your current status -- enrolled or not enrolled. If you opted-out of Fido Roam, texting Roam to 222 would return with not enrolled. However, Fido Roam is enabled on applicable plans by default.

You're right, there as not been any change in the rules. Fido Roam has always been automatically enabled on applicable plans.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoSaira

Hey @ggangwoo

Fido Roam is automatically offered on all of our postpaid plans, but we do offer the possibility to disable it as well. You simply need to contact us in order to do that though.

That said, I definitely understand that getting an unexpected charge can be unpleasant no matter how big or small it is.

To clarify, upon your arrival in a covered destination, we notify you via text message about the charges of using Fido Roam. The message you receive does not count as roaming, therefore it is not something you would be charged for. Rest assured though we only bill you for a legitimate usage.

The fee is only triggered if there is an outgoing usage that we detect through your Fido SIM card. The following usages would trigger the fee:

• Outgoing SMS/MMS
  • Calls (making a call, responding to a call)
  • Using data on apps
  • Retrieving voicemails

If you haven't made any such usage, you can reach us to through these channels and we can double-check your invoice. We can also send you a PM here if you like that.