cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized roam charges

Lololo
I'm a participant level 3

Fido has made unauthorized roaming charges to several lines on my account!

In order to start Fido Roam, one has to turn on "DATA ROAM" function on their smartphones - per https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/travel

I always keep data roam off on my phone! Turning it on by mistake is out of question (one cannot simply activate it by "pocket-dial"). Had it been on before I landed abroad, Fido would've charged me for every single day while I was abroad, instead it's a one-time charge (in all 4! cases on my different lines on my account).

Please contact me immediately for details and to solve this issue (your customer support by phone is a joke, with waiting time of 60+ minutes)!

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Lololo,

@Lololo wrote:...

...In order to start Fido Roam, one has to turn on "DATA ROAM" function on their smartphones - per https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/travel...

It's unfortunate you misunderstood the term data roaming. However that is not a Fido issue. It is a fact of newer cellular phones. Older cellular phones used to have a roaming setting as well as a separate data roaming setting. Disabling roaming would prevent all roaming while disabling data roaming would only disable roaming data, but allow for voice and message roaming. However, that separate roaming setting was removed from Android a while back (I'm thinking circa Jelly bean or Kitkat...). I'm not sure if iOS ever had a separate roaming setting, but I'm pretty sure they currently only have a data roaming setting.

That means, newer phones automatically roam. With data roaming disabled, it is still possible to roam with voice and messaging. The only way to prevent voice and messaging roaming is to enable a phone's Flight or Airplane mode. That's for all newer phones, regardless mobile provider.

The statement to enable data roaming on the webpage is to remind people it needs to be enabled to use data. Since phones now automatically roam, the use of talk and text is inherent because there is no other setting.

When your phone first connected to a foreign network, you should have received a SMS indicating your phone had connected outside of Canada with provided the daily rate for use.

Any use of your services -- using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad -- will trigger the Fido Roam charge 

Receiving SMS does not trigger the Fido Roam charges. However, you should note that the data within a MMS would be considered roaming data and would trigger the daily charge.

In addition, rejecting an incoming call should no longer trigger the Fido Roam charge either (see here).

If you opt out of Fido Roam, you would then use your services on a pay-per-use basis (see here for rates).

Had you used any of your services? Are your phones capable of Wifi-calling? Is it possible your phones used Wifi-calling services while abroad? Were you using GPS with your devices? With some phones the, High accuracy setting in location settings can still use data to provide a more precise location even with data and/or data roaming disabled. Were your phones on for the duration of your trip abroad?

Have you had a chance to view your bill details in My Account? It might tell you what usage caused triggered the Fido Roam charge. If you would like someone to go over the charges with you, you would have to contact customer support as they will need access to your account. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps ðŸ˜€

Cheers

Lololo

@Cawtau , thank you for the crash course in "roaming" notion.

You are misleading Fido customers by stating: "Any use of your services -- using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad -- will trigger the Fido Roam charge"

In order to start Fido Roam, one must (a) switch on Data Roaming function on their smartphones and (b) confirm that they want to use Fido Roam by texting "ROAM" to 222. It does NOT suffice to simply send a random text or receive/place a random call to activate Fido Roam (see below the screenshot from fido-roam-faq). I had done neither of the 2, but still was charged Fido Roam fee for a single day, each time I went abroad. If one does not do the above while abroad, "any use" of their services are charged on a "regular roaming" basis (i.e. NOT under Fido Roam program). I sent 1 SMS from abroad, Fido must charge me whatever their tariffs are for such service (~50-75c) and not Fido Roam fee.

It is unfortunate you misunderstand what "Fido Roam" means and what Fido themselves write on their own website on this topic:

20190927 fido screenshot data roam FAQ2.jpg

I've been with Fido since before they introduced Fido Roam and I have used Fido Roam service many-many times in various parts of the world. This is the first time they charge me without my consent (on 3! different devices, in 3 different geographies on different days, by different users, so a malfunctioning device or human error is out of question)

Hello again,

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. Is it possible you had previously travelled with plans which did not have Fido Roam. I have also been around since before Fido Roam, back in the days when Travel packs were available. Ever since Fido Roam was introduced, it was automatically enabled. However, when it was first introduced, only newer plans had Fido Roam while older plans did not. Older plans could be used on a pay-per-use basis or you could purchase a Travel pack. It sounds like you previously travelled with an older plan. When Fido removed their Travel packs, they introduced Fido Roam to most (if not all) of their post-paid plans. When that happened, Fido Roam was automatically enabled.

**edit**

Fido Roam.jpg

~ taken from Fido Roam - Everything you need to know.  **

So again, any use of your services -- using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad -- will trigger the Fido Roam charge.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers