Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges

Aj37
I'm a Contributor Level 1

hi everyone,

i recently traveled outside of Canada and before I left the country I checked with the representative I won't be charged for roaming if the device roaming is turned on but unfortunately, when I checked the bill I was charged for data roaming for many days when I enquired about this they said I received text messages because of that I was charges $14 per day 

what should do can I complain to any upper authority such as CRTC

Please advise 

8 REPLIES 8

patrickchan
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

when i travel my airplane mode is turned on (as i board the plane), once i get to for example Hong Kong airport arrival gate as pass customs. i then goto purchase an Hong Kong local prepaid sim.  then i check on fido voicemail every three days. 

Hello Patrickchan,

Thanks for sharing your travel routine! People should note, though, using your Fido SIM to check voicemail would be considered roaming usage and incur roaming charges. Of course you could check your voicemail by calling your Fido phone number from a different line, but it would likely be considered a long-distance call for most mobile phone plans. How do you check your voicemail?

Cheers

FidoVan

Hi there @Aj37,

Fido Roam is a service that lets you use your data, talk and text from your existing Fido postpaid mobile plan (not available with Data and Text only and prepaid plans) in the U.S for $12 a calendar day or internationally in tons of destinations for $15 a calendar day. The daily fee covers each calendar day of usage until 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET), regardless of which time zone you are roaming in.

With Fido Roam, you'll be charged only on the days you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message, or use data when travelling. receiving text messages and/or letting your calls go unanswered to your voicemail will not trigger the Fido Roam charge.

Have you got the chance to review your invoice?

1. to check the days for which you were charged Fido Roam for?
  2. to check which type of usage that happened on those days that triggered the Fido Roam charge?

For more info about roaming charges, you can follow this link.

biggie1
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello. If I am using Fido Roam, can my spouse use my phone as a hotspot so she can avoid roaming charges? Thanks!

Hello Biggie1,

Welcome to the community!

I am not aware of any reason why you wouldn't be able to create a Wifi-hotspot with your device while travelling under Fido Roam. You wife should consider enabline Airplane or Flight mode on her device for the duration of your time away. She could then enable Wifi manually when needed.

While your device's hotspot should be similar to other Wifi-accessed internet, I'm not sure whether it is compatible with features such as Wifi-calling. Even traditional modem/routers need to be properly set-up for Wifi-calling to function properly. If your wife's phone is supported for the feature, she should note that some Wifi-calling usage is considered roaming. With the exception of some Wifi-calling usage, your wife would not be able to use her device for voice or text messaging without incurring roaming charges.

You should note that with two devices using your data, your allotment could get used up quicker than usual.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Aj37

yeah I checked the invoice it only says fido international roaming but I never turned on roaming on my device and never used data and make calls with the network 

Hey @Aj37,

We'd be happy to look into it and review the situation with you. In cases like these, we would need to access your account to take a closer look at the details on file and you can contact us on these channels to get started.

We hope to talk to you soon! 😀

Aj37

Thank you i will be looking into it