cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roaming charges

MrinalS
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I will be travelling to Mexico next week, so I have couple of questions about roaming charges.

1) I already disabled Fido roam on my account, so will I be charged for any incoming calls if I don't answer(I will disable voicemail from iphone as well as Fido).

2) Will I be charged for incoming text message(I will turn off MMS setting, to avoid data usuage)

3) I will keep my Data roaming off and will have local sim for data, will I still be charged by Fido for any Pay per use charges.

All I want is to know if someone called me and in case someone sends me a text message.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MrinalS,

Welcome to the communtiy!

@MrinalS wrote:

...1) I already disabled Fido roam on my account, so will I be charged for any incoming calls if I don't answer(I will disable voicemail from iphone as well as Fido)....

The Fido Roam charges will only incur if your phone uses services -- make or receive a call, send a text message or use data abroad. To clarify, did you disable roaming on your account or did you opt-out of Fido Roam? If you disabled roaming on your account, you would not be able to use any services abroad. On the other hand, if you opted-out of Fido Roam , your usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view those rates here.

With both roaming options, having calls go to voicemail and/or rejecting calls to send them to voicemail should not incur roaming charges (see here). However, checking your voicemail would be considered roaming as one must call the voicemail service. As far as I am aware, the voicemail notifications on iPhones use data so receiving those notifications would likely incur roaming charges. As you note, it would be beneficial to disable those notifications on your device.

@MrinalS wrote:

...2) Will I be charged for incoming text message(I will turn off MMS setting, to avoid data usuage)..

If you disabled roaming on your account, you would not be able to use any Fido services while abroad. If that is the case, you would not be able to receive any text messages. With either roaming option, it should be mentioned that while receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, any data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. Disabling MMS should prevent that data transfer. Though, it should further be noted that iMessages and RCS messages are sent (and received) as data and not as text messages (SMS).

@MrinalS wrote:

...3) I will keep my Data roaming off and will have local sim for data, will I still be charged by Fido for any Pay per use charges...

If you remove your Fido SIM from your device, you would not be able to use any Fido services and therefore would not be charged for usage. However, if you're referring to having two SIMs in your device, you should note that some phones might consider certain system data differently from user data and continue to allow the former usage despite data and roaming data settings disabled. For example, while disabling data and roaming data should prevent data usage on foreign networks, some mobile manufacturers (ie Apple) does seem to allow some data usage despite those settings disabled. And no, it doesn't seem to be a Fido issue. It happens with multiple providers as well (see here).

The mobile providers only know usage. If a device is using data when cellular data and roaming data settings are disabled, that's an issue with the device. The mobile providers have no access to a device's settings to know what settings are enabled/disabled.

It should also be noted that disabling roaming data does prevent roaming for voice and SMS messaging.

@MrinalS wrote:

...All I want is to know if someone called me and in case someone sends me a text message.

As mentioned, if you disabled roaming on your account, you would not be able to use any Fido services and therefore would not receive any calls or messages. However, if you wish to keep your device available for emergencies, there is unfortunately no 100% guarantee your device won't use other services and trigger roaming charges.

In order to prevent roaming charges, it is usually recommended to keep Airplane or Flight modes enabled for the duration of trips. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS or emergency calls. It would also prevent using a local SIM with dual-SIM devices. However, people need to know how their devices behave if they intend on keeping their devices available for those services. As mentioned, the mobile providers only know usage. No usage; no roaming charges.

For completeness sake, it should be noted that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers