cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting texts while roaming (with definitely zero charges)

teleute
I'm a contributor level 1

I'm going on an international trip for about 3 weeks, and due to the length of time I'll be getting a local SIM there. However, I would like to still receive my Canadian texts only, since that's my 2FA for banking apps and other things.

I would like to ensure that I will not possibly trigger Fido Roam while doing this. Currently I'm thinking of this as my plan:

1. Turn off mobile data/data roaming on the Fido SIM

2. Disable SMS downloads

3. Forward all calls on the Fido SIM to voicemail

If I do this, is it correct that I should still receive my texts, but not possibly incur any charges, or are there any potential steps I'm missing here?  If these will work, how do I forward to voicemail automatically?  I tried to use my phone setting to do it, but I got an error message (I do have voicemail on my account).  I see there's a code to do it, but it wants to know the number - I tried looking up what the Fido AB voicemail number is, but I got conflicting results.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

teleute

Ugh - this is sounding like not a worthwhile plan then. I wish I had some way to mark on my account to just *not* allow Fido Roam, without blocking incoming texts.  I'm tempted to leave my sim here in an old phone and use an app to forward the texts.  I don't love it, but...I also don't love paying $15/day when I don't want or need to.

You mentioned that checking voicemail incurs charges - but presumably only if I did it via the Fido sim, right?  Like if I used Skype or something to call and check my voicemail remotely that wouldn't be any extra charges on your end, right?

Hello again,

You can certainly opt-out of Fido Roam. If you choose to opt out, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view the pay-per-view rates here. You can also request a roaming block on your line. However, in doing so, you would not be able to receive text messages.

If you use an app to forward text messages, you should note those forwarded messages would go against any messaging allotments in your plan. In addition, if you were wanting to forward those messages to your local SIM number, you might consider verifying your plan includes International text messaging. Some plans may only include Canadian text messaging (while in Canada). That is, some plans do not include text messages to International phone numbers.

Remotely checking your voicemail by calling your number from another line would not incur roaming charges. You should note, though, app calling services (ie Skype) often charge for calls to mobile or landline numbers (see here). As well, using a local SIM to call your Canadian phone number to check your voicemail would likely incur long-distance charges with that local provider.

You should note this forum is community-driven and not intend as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to your account. If you would like to opt-out of Fido Roam, you would need to contact customer service . In addition, they can also be contacted via Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

teleute

Ah - the pay per use thing is very interesting.  To confirm:

1. I opt out of Fido Roam

2. Any time my phone might attempt to do something that would use data (even if that was not my intent) - I would pay just for those individual usages?  Would I be notified ahead of time, and have to agree?  Or would it just charge me if my phone magically ignored my settings and tried to use data?  If I could choose no, that would indeed be perfect.

3. I should continue to receive MMS texts as normal, without Fido Roam enabled and without pay per use charges for this.  Correct?

As for Skype charging for calls, I have a full long distance package on there I pay for so I'm not worried about that.  That's why I specified whether it would incur additional charges specifically on your end or not.

Fwiw I did originally attempt to contact customer service about this, but the person insisted that incoming SMS would trigger Fido Roam, and never mentioned the pay per use option at all.  So it wasn't exactly a helpful transaction.  If it sounds like disabling this will meet my needs I will contact service specifically to do so, though.

Hello again,

I cannot speak as to what was previously discussed when you contacted customer service. However, the Fido Roam page does state:

...you'll be charged only on the days you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data when travelling. ~taken from previously provided Fido Roam link

Receiving SMS should not trigger roaming charges.

If you opted out of Fido Roam, any usage would be on pay-per-use basis. As such, you would only pay for those individual uses.

When your device first connects to the foreign network, it would receive the initial Welcome Abroad text message notification. However, subsequent connections in the same region would not receive that notification message again. In addition, you would not receive additional usage notifications each time your device uses services. As far as I am aware, the only other notification you would receive would be for reaching the data roaming cap as outlined in the Wireless Code.

While data contained within MMS does not count against any data allotments while in Canada, it is considered roaming data when abroad with either Fido Roam or pay-per-use. As mentioned below, you might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone in order to prevent unintended roaming data usage.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

teleute

Alright, good to know - sounds like I have a (workable, if a bit convoluted) plan.  Thank you!

teleute

Okay, so looking/thinking more, here's my new current plan.

1. Unenroll from Fido Roam in favour of the pay per use model.

2. Disable mobile data, data roaming, MMS, etc...for my Fido SIM, as mentioned before.

3. Completely turn off my Fido SIM.

4. When I know I need to receive a text, briefly turn the SIM on just long enough to get the text.  The text receipt should not incur a charge, and if there's any background usage that leaks through data being turned off it should be minimal, and charged individually rather than triggering a whole day of charges.

5. Check my voicemails if needed via Skype and my long distance calling plan there.

6. Loudly escalate to my banks that they should really give an option for an authenticator app rather than texts so that this is less of an issue in future.  Happy

I'm still interested to understand whether I have to agree to pay per use when it happens or not, or what type of notifications I might get - but I think this plan should minimize the risk of extra charges.

Hello again,

@teleute wrote:

...The text receipt should not incur a charge, and if there's any background usage that leaks through data being turned off it should be minimal, and charged individually rather than triggering a whole day of charges....

You should note that the pay-per-use rates for data are often not per KB. Depending on destination, it may be per 10 MB or per 50 MB, etc. Even if your phone uses a few KB, you would be charged for full X MB as outlined in the rate. Those rates can be viewed in the link provided previously.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

teleute

Also still want to confirm the best way to find the current number to check voicemail, since searching gives conflicting results.  Is there an official list of voicemail numbers?

Hello again,

In order to check your voicemail from another phone, you would call your own Fido phone number and accessing the system when your greeting message plays (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

teleute

Ah - I thought there would just be a central number to phone where I'd have to enter my number as the mailbox to check.  Guess I was mostly thinking about getting that VM number back when I thought I would want to fwd calls to it, but seems like that but is moot now anyway.  Thanks.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Teleute,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, the Fido Roam charge incurs when your device uses Fido Services abroad. That is, the charge will incur when you make/receive calls, send text messages or use data outside of Canada (see here). The mobile providers only know usage. If a device is using services when its settings are set not to use them, that's an issue with the device. The mobile providers have no access to a device's settings to know what settings are enabled/disabled. If you wish to receive text messages, there is unfortunately no 100% guarantee your device won't use other services and trigger roaming charges. 

That said, there are things which can be done to prevent unintended usage. Ideally, enabling Airplane or Flight mode on a device or removing the SIM card would prevent the device from accessing the foreign networks. However, those actions won't allow the device to receive text messages.

As you note, disabling data and roaming data are also generally recommended to prevent unintentional roaming. Those settings would not prevent roaming for voice and text messaging. However, some device manufacturers might not prevent all data usage when connected to foreign networks (see here). For whatever reason Apple chooses to allow that data usage despite those settings, it would be considered roaming data. Customers would need to know how there devices behave when connected to foreign networks.

While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. In addition, if you subscribe to the Premium Voicemail-to-Text add-on, those notifications would also be MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would still use the networks and likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

As already mentioned, making or receiving calls abroad will incur the Fido Roam charges. While letting calls go to voicemail does not incur any charges, you should note that checking your voicemail would incur charges. I posted a brief summary here in response to similar questions.

I mentioned Wifi-calling above and some usage would be considered roaming. There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling . I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). If you have a device and plan supported for Wifi-calling, that may be an option for receiving those text messages.

From your post, it sounds like you may have a device capable of dual-SIMs. You would also need to know how your device behaves when roaming. Dual-SIM functionality is not standardised. It may not operate the way you think it does. As previoulsy mentioned, the mobile providers can only know a device's usage. They have no knowledge or access to a device's settings. If a device uses services without the customer's intent, it is still considered usage and would incur roaming charges.

If your device connects to a foreign network, it will likely receive the Welcome Abroad text message. That message would include any fees associated with using Fido Roam. I understand receiving that Welcome Abroad text message can be concerning if you did not wish to use the service. Receiving that text message does not necessarily mean that your device had used services. I was able to confirm that merely receiving that message does not incur roaming fees (see here).

As long as your device does not also use other services (ie data) when your phone connects to the cellular networks, there should be no roaming charges incurred.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers