Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Series 3

AJ12345
I'm a participant level 1

When is Apple Watch support coming?

I want to buy one of the new cellular models.  So far only Bell and Telus are supporting. What about Fido!

40 REPLIES 40

Hey @Redline45!

I moved your post to this thread as it deals with the same topic.

I can confirm that Fido will not carry Apple Watch at launch. This will be something we look at as we build system functionality to support this technology. You can definitely still buy Apple Watch Series 3, both the cellular and non-cellular version and bring it to Fido. You’ll be able to pair with a compatible iPhone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, but not our LTE network. You can check the most recent compatibility on Apple's website.

Hope this helps Very_Happy

fischersd
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

I know you guys are at the mercy of your parent (Rogers) on this, as you're using their network, but I think Rogers needs to provide more information on this.  As the country's original GSM (formerly TDMA) carrier, I think Rogers owes its customers an explanation why it hasn't put support in place for the GSMA eSIM which would have supported the Apple Watch.  It's certainly not a case that Rogers wouldn't have known about this months (likely over a year?) in advance.

The least Rogers owes its customers is a timeline for implementation of the changes necessary and an ETA on when the Apple Watch will be offered by its carriers.  (and do Fido the benefit of not delaying its launch - no reason why the two carriers couldn't be launched in parallel).

The holiday season is coming, when all of the carriers roll out exceptional deals to try to poach from each other.  If the plans offered by Bell and Telus are comparable to many of the plans we enjoy on Fido and Rogers, and there's still no commitment on this, it's likely to be a tipping point for a considerable number of your subscribers.

mat84
I'm a participant level 2

Sorry Fido,

I've been with you for almost a decade, and I like the plan I have, but I realllllllly want to use my Apple Watch 3 with your cellular service. If you cannot support this or give an indication that you will support it eventually, then I'll be leaving for Bell in October when the iPhone X comes out.

If anyone feels this way, please chime in.

Thanks,
Mat84

Miad

Couple of my colleagues and friends left fido to bell, however bell is a bit more expensive, just because use their apple watch.

my wife and I will leave fido next month.

thanks fido to not supporting us

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Miad 

Welcome to the Community!

We definitely don't want you to feel that way! We are looking at this technology for our customers, but at the moment we don't have any updates as to when.

On a side note : 

• You can buy Apple Watch Series 3, both the cellular and non-cellular version and bring it to Fido. You’ll be able to pair with a compatible iPhone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, but not our LTE network. You can check the most recent compatibility on apple.com/watch.

• Did you know that using any Apple Watch by connecting it through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi allows you to enjoy its most popular functionalities (e.g. GPS, heart rate sensor, health apps, etc.)? Apart from the cellular capabilities, both versions have almost the exact same features. The ceramic back and the capacities are different. Features that need a cellular connection, like call or text, still work on any Apple Watch. You just need to connect it to an iPhone close by through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.

martinalex

I've been with Fido since they first arrived in the Lower Mainland well over a decade ago (apart from a brief period when I had no cell phone at all.

I have purchased the Watch 3 with LTE, and if Fido doesn't move to support it, I will be moving to another carrier also. I can't imagine they would be so shortsighted as to have NO intention of supporting this device at all... I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Hopefully, not too much time...

Jamie3

I love my plan with Fido, but unfortunately I want to be able to leave my iPhone at home and use my Apple Watch Series 3, and since you don’t support Apple Watch I will be switching to Bell.

jfpoulin

Bell Support the Iwatch only? 

Hey there @jfpoulin

Welcome to the community Smiley

We're unable to provide more details on other service providers. For accurate info, I would advise you to contact them. On our end the Apple Watch 3 is still not supported on you network, though as mentioned by @FidoNick

You can definitely still buy Apple Watch Series 3, both the cellular and non-cellular version and bring it to Fido. You’ll be able to pair with a compatible iPhone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, but not our LTE network.

Hope this clarifies

fido7926
I'm a participant level 3

Can you give us a simple yes/no on whether you'll have Apple Watch cellular support for the impending launch of the Series 4, expected in a few weeks? That way I can start planning now if I have to switch. Thanks for your time.

Hey @fido7926

As much as we would love to give you a different or more specific answer, we cannot make speculations as to when exactly this service will be available. 

fido7926

So now that Rogers is supporting the Apple Watch Series 4, does that mean Fido will as well?

Hey @fido7926 ,

Thanks for checking in! 

We don’t currently support Apple Watch. Keep an eye on fido.ca for updates on our products and services.

fido7926

A Fido call representative finally gave me a definitive answer: Fido will not be supporting Apple Watch cellular.

Hey there, 

We won't carry Apple Watch Series 4 at launch. We are constantly reviewing our device line-up, however, at this time we will not carry any Apple Watch on Fido. Keep an eye out on fido.ca for the latest products and services as suggested Smiley

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Jamie3 We'll be sad to see you go. Sad

If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know!

Snapcase-

To use Apple Watch series 3, carriers need to modify their networks in order to support the integrated sim. However, Rogers and Fido have not done so and have not announced any plans. Bell and Telus awill

work however there is no support for Virgin or Koodo either. 

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey mat84!

We definitely don't want to see you leave!

I moved your post to this thread as it should clarify things for you. 

Let us know if you still have any questions!

Hello Redline45,

Welcome to the community!

It doesn't appear likely that Fido will carry the new Apple Watch any time soon. In a statement to MobileSyrup, a spokesperson said: “We expect a lot of excitement around the new iPhone models and that is what we are focusing on. Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple Watch. Carrying the Apple Watch will be something we look at as we expand of our device portfolio.”

If Fido does not offer the Watch, I think it's rather unlikely they will provide support for a Smartwatch plan.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

In a statement to MobileSyrup, a spokesperson said: “We expect a lot of excitement around the new iPhone models and that is what we are focusing on. Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple Watch. Carrying the Apple Watch will be something we look at as we expand of our device portfolio.”

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Apple Watch Series 3 Canadian availability and pricing
In a statement to MobileSyrup, a spokesperson said: “We expect a lot of excitement around the new iPhone models and that is what we are focusing on. Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple Watch. Carrying the Apple Watch will be something we look at as we expand of our device portfolio.”

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Apple Watch Series 3 Canadian availability and pricing

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @AJ12345,

Welcome to the community!

On September 12th Rogers said on their twitter that "Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple watch" then I came across this article here.

So its not clear what they are doing but as usual if or when they do it will be announce on the website so we will just have to keep an eye on the site for updates.