I'm a Participant Level 1

Apple Watch Series 6

Will this be supported?

Accepted Solution

Re: Apple Watch Series 6

Hello Arnoldmp,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does not currently offer any smartphone or Apple watch plans. If they later choose to offer those plans in the future, that update would be available on Fido.ca.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello Arnoldmp,

Fido does not currently offer any smartphone or Apple watch plans. If they later choose to offer those plans in the future, that update would be available on Fido.ca.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

Is there any plan to offer data sharing with the Apple Watch? Seems like Fido is the last carrier to get on board. Is this a tech/infrastructure thing or is Apple not allowing it?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ztaylor,

@ztaylor wrote:...Seems like Fido is the last carrier to get on board. ...

To which other providers are you comparing? As far as I am aware, none of the Big Three's flanker brands are offering Apple Watch support (see here). That's hardly last.

@ztaylor wrote:..Is this a tech/infrastructure thing or is Apple not allowing it?

I would say neither. The different levels of providers (Big 3, 1st level Flanker, 2nd level Flanker) offer different products and services. The flanker brands (Fido included), likely made a business decision not to offer cellular support for the Apple Watch.

Adding more devices to a provider's offering lineup necessarily increases their overhead costs, which in turn would lead to overall price increases for all of their customers. There's a reason there is generally a price differential between the different provider levels -- different plan and service offerings as well as reduced device options. Some 2nd level flankers don't even offer devices; they're SIM only. It's the same with other industries as well. Look at Loblaws and No Frills. Loblaws usually has more product selection, but No Frills tends to be on the whole cheaper for the same products.

People have stated that they aren't asking for Fido to carry the watches, but to only provide the service. Providing a service without giving options for some people to access that service does not make sense. If the service is offered, people will expect that they offer the watches as well. They can't offer one without offering the other.

I understand there is one flanker brand which is offering Apple watches. However, that situation is rather different. Freedom's parent company is not a National provider so they are also trying to compete with the Big 3 as well. While Freedom is also a regional provider, their reach is greater than their parent company. Interestingly, their parent company does not offer Apple Watches or its services.

Currently Fido does not offer any smartwatch or Apple watch plans. If they later choose to offer those plans in the future, that update would be available on Fido.ca.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4