Will VoLTE work if I flash my Phone with Fido specific ROM?

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Will VoLTE work if I flash my Phone with Fido specific ROM?

I just moved to Fido and I am really disappointed to find out that Fido does not provide VoLTE when you use a non-Fido purchased Device.

I have a Samsung S7 SM-G930W8 and there is a Fido specific ROM available for this model. If I flash that ROM will I be able to make VoLTE calls or Fido restricts those features by IMEI numbers?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 23
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 3

Re: Will VoLTE work if I flash my Phone with Fido specific ROM?

unless your lucky...the awnser is NO..you wont have wi-fi calling/volte/video calling....

i"ve made the "mistake" to buy from samsung directly...and never been able to have these feature after i bought my brand new s9+...  unless fido/rogers have change their mind wich i doubt...

if you read between the line...and want to save many long usuless hours with their tech support... just to know that you will need to buy their phone at the end for solution....

the real solution is to change your provider....sad but true

by the way its only a fido/rogers thing anyway...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 23
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

If you have a friend with an iphone, you could ask them if you could place your fido sim into their phone, and then sign up for wifi calling from within the iphone. Once you do that, remove the sim card and place it back in your phone. Once I did that, I hade WiFi Calling and VoLTE working on my google pixel 2. Worth a try. Check out my original post here:

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/message-id/38086

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 23
Highlighted

Hey @Yoda-,

Welcome to the Community!

I can definitely understand your surprise if this is not something you were aware of beforehand. 

The VoLTE service will only work on compatible Fido devices and the full details can also be found on our website here.

We can't guarantee that it'll work, but you can always try @thirstyturtle18 suggestion Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 23
Highlighted

thirstyturtle18.....maybe it worked since you had a pixel...but will take a look with my note 8 and the iphone of my brother...i will keep you udated about this....

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 23
Highlighted

this trick also worked for me when I had a note 8, and I also changed the CSC on the device.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 23
Highlighted

Once your adress is recorded on your iphone.....do you have to record it again once the sim is in the phone you want to use it??  Or you simply put to wifi calling toggle at on and thats all....?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 23
Highlighted

I only had to fill in the address on the iphone, and then change the sim into the phone I want to use and flip the toggle. That was all. So I only entered the address once.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 23
Highlighted

ok thanks.....will test it in the coming day...with an update

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 23
Highlighted

Ok....so far everything went well....however i had to call at rogers in my case....once the adress registered...i have put the sim on the note 8 and so far 4 hours laters it still working.....was about to switch provider before testing it...

Will gave an update soon to see if still work....

Thanks for this trick thirstyturtle18.....Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 23