cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up service fee

Arvalledor
I'm a participant level 2

The website says "pay no setup service fee when you activate any device online", I purchased a byop plan, and got charged with the set up service fee. Will i get that service fee refunded once i actually acitvated the sim in my phone?

29 REPLIES 29

Olaayiwola

Was literally begged by your sales rep to take the sim on entry into canada promising no charges and I only have to pay at the end of the month for an originally $50 but currently discounted $40plan. Sweet deal right, well got my bill and instead of $40 I'm supposed to pay roughly $113. Apart from being lied to i don't know how to feel about this. Totally unethical and unnecessary on your part to sell me a discounted service for $40 knowing I would have to pay over two times the discounted price and conveniently forget to mention that part. I understand the tax but $60 for a setup fee. really ? Nicely played but totally uncalled for

RiteshPoddar
I'm a participant level 3

The exact same thing happened with me.

Fido - let me know what is this scam? Even I bought a new Fido sim earlier this month. Nothing was mentioned or said while making the purchase. I was told I will be charged $40 for my billing etc. But now when I look into billing details in your app I see $60 service fee. I would have never bought your sim if this was the case. As a new comer got scammed into this trap with such high useless service charge. I read above that this fee is waived who activated or upgrade their device online. I haven't activated any device nor upgraded my device. Its just my old phone where I inserted your sim. This fee should be waived off or else I don't want to use your service furthermore. I am scared how much I will be scammed further in future. This is sheer looting. Will be definitely going to CCTS if this fees is not waived. Enough of their scams and dirty tricks to loot customers 

Hello @RiteshPoddar,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you were charged the fee without being aware. You mentioned you purchased a SIM card, this would count as an activation. The fee is charged weather you activate an account, a new phone or upgrade your device.

Though it isn't charged when you activate online. When continuing with your purchase online, there should be a little message stating, one time fees ($0) and your agreement confirmation would also state that there are no activation fees. It's possible there was a system issue that led the fee on your bill, but we can definitely take care of that for you.

Feel free to reach out via there methods shown here and we'll be more than happy to help.

kumudu5777
I'm a participant level 1

Hi Fido team, i also facing same issue, but there is no way to contact you. could you please contact me and do the needful because, i was not informed any setup fee. 

Hello Kumudu5777,

Welcome to the community!

You should note that the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We do not have access to customers' accounts or the ability to make changes on their accounts. As mentioned by FidoAnthonyZ, if you wished to discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

RiteshPoddar

Then please take care of the same.. I should not be the one suffering from your system issues and paying unnecessary hefty bills. Requesting you to review and waive off the extra charges urgently.

Hey @RiteshPoddar, Alex here! 

We sent you a PM here on the community so that we can take a look at your account and help you with this.

Feel free to get back to us whenever you get the chance! 

RiteshPoddar

I haven't received any PM nor any resolution yet. Seems it was a biggest mistake after coming to Canada to get your FIDO SIM 

Pissed_off_

Olaayiwola, the exact same thing happened with me. I've filled a CCTS complaint that was accepted. Let's see what happens.

Hey there! 

Were you able to get in touch with our customer care about this? If not, please send us a message on Facebook/instagram or X (formerly twitter) so we can look into it with you.

Pissed_off_

Hi, yes, I did reach out to the customer service but was told it was out of their hands. Contacted CCTS as a last resort.

Hello @Pissed_off_,

I'm sorry to hear that you've taken these mesures. Feel free to contact us on Facebook or Instagram and we'll be happy to help. 

Olaayiwola

They really got me good and I knew I definitely won't be the only one. Currently looking for another service provider cause if I'm forced to pay the $113 that would be the last time they get a dollar from me. Imagine paying $60 extra for something I could have done myself cause I was purposely not informed.

Pissed_off_

Exactly, they say that it's a normal thing and that you should know about the charge. However, you can't really expect foreigners to know, especially at the airport! 

I hear you! We do our best to make sure everyone is aware of any charge and when refunds are to be expected. 

Almaali

Hi,

I am a student and got my Fido first month bill.. along with my 50$ fee I am also charged a service fee of 60$. Is there any way I can opt for a cheaper monthly plan? Also is there any way my service fee be waived ?

Hey @Almaali , to save the $60 setup fee you need to complete your activation on Fido.ca through self-service. As for your plan, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to verify what are the best options available for you. 

Raghuanth_13

Hello Team, I purchased it eSIM from Fido store. The store person told setup fee will be waived. Still I am seeing the Setup fee in my bill statement. Can you help me on this?

Hey @Raghuanth_13! Philippe here.

To clarify, did you activate a new account with us or did you just purchase the SIM card for one of your existing lines?

If you did activate a new line, you would have to pay the activation fee if you did it in store, unless there was a promotion that covered that at the time. In that case, the credit is usually added on your second or third invoice after activation.

yriyadh
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi, I have an existing tablet plan that i needed to change to get the new tablet plan and a tablet. it seems the fido chat says there is a 50 dollars setup fee. is that normal? I could do that online but how can i keep my existing tablet number so i had no choice to call for change. am i missing something here? could i just do it online and avoid this?