Wifi Calling

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 tommy44
I'm a Participant Level 3

Wifi Calling

Have a new lg g5 that i just purchased from costco, specifically for the wifi calling. Seems, sometimes it is enabled, and sometimes not? Bought this phone specifically for this feature, as we have a weak cellular connection where we live. When it works, it seems good, but most times it is not connected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

linz

Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi Calling

Yes I did get it figured out. I found that if i put it into airplane mode, then just turn on wifi, it connects after about 5-10 seconds. If i leave it without putting in airplane mode, it doesnt connect as long as there is 1 bar cell connection, and that is sometimes iffy.

Thanks all for the help

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 23
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 murmur
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Re: Wifi calling

This is unfair..Fido store did not have the phone I wanted. So..now my option is to find a carrier who has wifi calling with existing phone?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 23
Highlighted
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @murmur,

We don't want to see you leave Sad

What model were you looking for?  We can have a look at your options, just let us know and we'll PM you!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 23
Highlighted

I was looking for samsung Note 9 and bought one at Best Buy, as recommended by the Fido store I normally deal with. I didn't realize I couldn't activate wifi calling if I bought my phone elsewhere. I do have a better connection with the new phone if I am close to the wifi, but not everywhere in the condo.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 23
Highlighted

Hey @murmur

You had a chance to try to add Wi-FI calling following the instructions here

There's that section that says ( How do I enable Wi-Fi Calling on my Samsung device?)

Let me know how it goes on your end.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 23
Highlighted

I did try the instructions and because I bought an unocked phone, it is ineligible according to the link about which devices can use it.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 23
Highlighted

@murmur

I was in the understanding that this phone you bought from Best Buy was a Fido device.

When it's not a Fido phone, some features might not work.

We do appreciate your feedback concerning this and I will make sure to share your situation to the right team.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 23
Highlighted

Because of the problems I had in not receiving texts and voice cutting out / calls going straight to voicemail, I did not want to be locked into a Fido phone. I wanted to make sure it worked first. The agent in the Fido store agreed with me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 23
Highlighted

Thanks for your feedback @murmur

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with these updates. To clarify however, you can purchase a device from Fido and benefit from a 15 days satisfation guarantee to make sure the phone suits your needs.

You can check out more details on this here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 23
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1 cjjohnst

The WHOLE point of airplane mode is that it DISCONNECTS you from wifi . How did you connect to wifi on AIRPLANE mode?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 23
Highlighted

@cjjohnst when you enable airplane mode you just have to enable WiFi manually and it will turn on just the WiFi so you can use your phone on WiFi.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 23