cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

tommy44
I'm a participant level 3

Have a new lg g5 that i just purchased from costco, specifically for the wifi calling. Seems, sometimes it is enabled, and sometimes not? Bought this phone specifically for this feature, as we have a weak cellular connection where we live. When it works, it seems good, but most times it is not connected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

linz

34 REPLIES 34

murmur
I'm a contributor level 1

Because of the problems I had in not receiving texts and voice cutting out / calls going straight to voicemail, I did not want to be locked into a Fido phone. I wanted to make sure it worked first. The agent in the Fido store agreed with me.

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for your feedback @murmur

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with these updates. To clarify however, you can purchase a device from Fido and benefit from a 15-day satisfaction guarantee to make sure the phone suits your needs.

You can check out more details on this here.

HakimDewani

But I had it working on my phone before I had to reset

FidoManuel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @tommy44!

Welcome to the Community!

The Wi-Fi calling feature will kick-in only when it detects a weak connection to the Fido's network. If the mobile connection is stable, the Wi-Fi calling will not be triggered. 

Hope this clarifies why it's not active sometimes.

tommy44

Thanks for the quick response. Under "settings" "networks" "call" there is an option for "wifi preferred" which i have checked. The best reception i get is either 1 or no bars, yet the little phone/wifi icon in the top left doesnt show up. I have found if I put it in airplane mode, then turn on just wifi, the icon pops up after about 10 seconds. Do you think it is a network or phone issue? I am only on the 500/500 plan, so i like to save as much phone time as i can by using the wifi calling.

Thanks for your help

Hey @tommy44,

Thanks for the detailed info! Smiley

First, I'd like to bring a small clarification to how WiFi calling works: the cost of Calls, Texts and MMS are taken from the airtime and messaging buckets in your plan and the internet bucket of your Wi-Fi Network. Therefore, when using WiFi calling, minutes will be deducted out of your plan.

You can learn more here.

Did you try restarting the phone or doing a factory reset?

Hey @tommy44!

We never heard back; did you end up getting your wi-fi calling figured out?

Let us know! The info can definitely help others here on the Community Smiley

tommy44

Yes I did get it figured out. I found that if i put it into airplane mode, then just turn on wifi, it connects after about 5-10 seconds. If i leave it without putting in airplane mode, it doesnt connect as long as there is 1 bar cell connection, and that is sometimes iffy.

Thanks all for the help

cjjohnst

The WHOLE point of airplane mode is that it DISCONNECTS you from wifi . How did you connect to wifi on AIRPLANE mode?

Hello Cjjohnst,

Yes, Airplane or Flight mode disables the phone or device's antennae. However, you can manually enable Wifi and/or GPS when needed. The cellular antennae will remain disabled until Airplane or Flight mode is disabled. That is how you can use Wifi on flights, if they offer the service in-flight.

It should be noted that some flights also offer in-flight cellular services. If a phone or device does not have Airplane or Flight mode enabled, connecting to that network will incur Premium destination roaming charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

@cjjohnst when you enable airplane mode you just have to enable WiFi manually and it will turn on just the WiFi so you can use your phone on WiFi.

cjjohnst

Does that mean that I MUST use airplane mode at home in order to use wifi calling ? Please answer because NOWHERE else is airplane mode mentioned when using wifi calling. Regards Christopher

Hello again,

@cjjohnst wrote:

Does that mean that I MUST use airplane mode at home in order to use wifi calling ?...

No, you shouldn't have to enable Airplane mode in order to use Wifi-calling. Most phones have a setting to set Wifi-calling as preferred over the cellular network. For some reason, the OP's phone didn't perform that option correctly. With my phone (Airplane mode disabled), I have the setting to Wifi-calling preferred and it automatically connects via Wifi-calling when I have a suitable Wifi connection -- irrespective of whether or not I have cellular signal.

Are you having issues with your Wifi-calling? What phone do you have?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Happy to hear it's working now @tommy44!