Victim of fraud!!

I'm a Participant Level 2 dijo_65
I'm a Participant Level 2

Victim of fraud!!

Hi,

I have been a recent victim of fraud where someone was able to access my account and approve themselves as an authorized user. They then proceeded to upgrade my phone and take it for themselves, as well as sign me on to a contract (from being a month to month user). All of this was unauthorzed by me. I have a case opened and fraud department was supposed to call me back in 48 hours. It has been a week now, and eveytime I call customer service they are just promising me that I will hear from fraud department by the end of the day.

I am getting very impatient and worried that someone out there has my personal information and access t my account. I also now have a plan and contract that I definitely cannot afford to pay for. Please help me. I need fraud department to look into this ASAP. 

This is crazy that someone was able to impersonate me either via chat/phone and be validated by FIDO customer service. 

I am tired of waiting!!

Accepted Solution

Re: Victim of fraud!!

Hello Dijo_65,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that there was fraudulent access to your account. Have you taken the appropriate measures? At the very least you should change your passwords and cancel your credit card...

If you haven't already done so, you might consider informing the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. You should also consider the advice here. It may seem like a hassle, but any preventative measures taken now are definitely better than trying to sort out stolen identities after the fact.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 19

Hey @dijo_65 and thanks for reaching out.

I do understand why you would feel that way. I can assure you that the security of our customer's information is really important to us,

I would like to take a look at your account to see what was done so far.

I'm sending your a PM now to get this looked into. At the same time, I would like to let you know that you can also reach us through other channels for anything related to your Fido account.

You can find our Contact Us page here.

Talk to you soon Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 19
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@dijo_65 Did you file a report with your local police also?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 19
Highlighted
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello Dijo_65,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that there was fraudulent access to your account. Have you taken the appropriate measures? At the very least you should change your passwords and cancel your credit card...

If you haven't already done so, you might consider informing the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. You should also consider the advice here. It may seem like a hassle, but any preventative measures taken now are definitely better than trying to sort out stolen identities after the fact.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 19
I'm a Participant Level 1 bellapaniccia
I'm a Participant Level 1

EXACT SAME THING JUST OCCURED TO ME AND THEY UPGRADED BOTH MY CELL PLANS....IM SOO UPSET YOU HAVE NO IDEA

I CALLED FIDO TO REPORT MY EMAIL INFORMATION WAS CHANGED ON MY FIDO PROFILE AND THIS IS WHERE I NOTICED EVERYTHING THAT WAS FRAUDED, THEN

I CALLED FRAUD DEPT

I CALLED CANADA POST

I CALLED TRANS UNION

I CALLED EQUIFAX

I CALLED UNITED PARCELS SERVICE

AND STILL I HAVE NOOOOOOOO **bleep** RESULTS...IT JUST HAPPENED LAST WEEK BUT I WANT EVERYTHING TO BE EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS BEFORE IT WAS FRAUDED...IMMEDIATELY.

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY HACKERS ARE ABLE TO DO ALL THESE IMPORTANT CHANGES AND I (being the account holder) NEVER BEING ADVICED AT A MINIMUM VIA TEXT...

MAKES NOO **bleep** LOGIC. THEY ORDERED 2 BRAND NEW IPHONES 7 PLUS AND HAD IT DELIVERED TO A DIFFERENCT ADDRESS.....HOW COME I WAS NOT GIVEN NOTICE....

I MEAN THIS IS INSANE THAT I WAS NOT SENT AN EMAIL OR CELL TEXT...

THEY CHANGED ALL MY PROFILE AND EVEN MY EMAIL..

THIS SHOULD NOT BE PERMITTED WITHOUT ORIGINAL EMAIL ACCEPTANCE

NOW, IM STUCK WITH ALL THE HEADACHES

PLUS EVERYTIME I CALL FIDO......I GET FRENCH OPERATORS....HELLOOOOOOOOO

I WANT ENGLISH SPEAKING AGENTS...

I HAVE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH THAT I DO NOT NEED TO SPEAK IN FRENCH....

HIRE MORE ENGLISH AGENTS...I HAD THE PLEASURE OF SPEAKING TO 1 AGENT WHO WAS VERY NICE AND WAS ABLE TO SPEAK ENGLISH....HIRE MORE ENGLISH SPEAKING AGENTS...OR BILINGUAL...

NOT JUST FRENCH ALONE....RIDICULOUS FOR NOWADAYS TO NOT HAVE SERVICE IN BOTH OFFICIAL LANGUAGES FLUENTLY

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 19

Hey @bellapaniccia!

Thanks for posting Smiley

We take our customer's account security as a top priority and we have measures in place to prevent fraudulent activity like this from happening. That said, when it does happen we do our absolute best to rectify the situation as quickly as possible and with no impact to our customers!

From your post, it seems you've already spoken to customer care regarding this and they've opened an investigation with our fraud team. Once the fraud team receives it, they'll take care of reversing the charges and bringing back your account to the way it was and they will contact you to confirm!

I understand that it's frustrating, and there are some delays involved but rest assured it will be taken care of Very_Happy

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 19
I'm a Participant Level 2 amirvf

Hello,

The same thing happenned  to  me today. Some people probably had access to my  Fido information and they have purchased an iPhone 7 256GB with that information from Pont Clair.  They have also ordered a new phone line.

I noticed the unauthorized activity the moment it happenned and I called Fido Customer Service right away.

The agent  opened a fraud case and wanted me to wait until the fraud team contacts me.

Unfortunately no one called me so far and I noticed that after almost 12 hours from my report, the package including the iPhone 7  has been shipped to lucky thiefs!!! (I received the UPS shipment tracking number in my email)

I think this is a clear fraud and most probably the leak comeas from within the Fido system itself, since it has been exactly similar cases published here.  I instanly changed my account password, but I do not understand why fraud team does not interact instantly and cancel all transactions and shipments?

Fido customer service    been notified instantly after the fraud, but   the package has been shipped 12 hours after my report!!! That's why I am suspicious that there are fishy activities from within the Fido. 

Anyways, I will also file a police report, but it is very strange that Fido customer service, or the Fraud Department had enough time of 12 hours to at leaset cancel the shipment and prevent further money loss for Fido. What could justify this delay and subsequent loss if some activities from within Fido intereferes with these simple issue. A simple call to shipment department to put shipment on hold to have the case fuly investigated. Is it that much difficult?

There is also another possibility. Maybe  Fido  database is not highly secured . This is also probable because according to my research I have noticed that log-in informations from within the Fido account including username and password are being handled through third-party (janraincapture.com). Maybe here comes  the source for a leak.

Anyways, nothing justifies the delay of Fido customer service / Fraud team to fail to put the shipment on hold.

I think these phone are finally being sold through kijiji to innocent people. At the end, Fido will block the IMEI number of the phone, but there would be additional victims (buyer from kijiji) through this delayed of action from Fido/Fraud team.

Any comments from Fido team?

Thanks,

Amir

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 19
Former Moderator FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hi @amirvf!

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for the details and I'm really sorry that this happened to you. 

Regarding Janrain, they are really secure and I don't believe the leak is coming from there. Lately there's been a lot of SMiShing attempts on our customers. You can read more about it here.  If you fall for one of these scams, chances are your information was compromised, which then facilitated the fraud.

No worries though, this situation will be resolved for you. Simply wait for the fraud team to contact you. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 19
I'm a Participant Level 2 amirvf

Hi  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 19
Former Moderator FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Thanks for the details @amirvf! I'll make sure to forward the feedback to the right persons. 

I'd like to take a closer look at your investigation, I'll send you a PM in a few minutes.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 19