Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving short code text...

Othersky
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

Today I swichted my cell provider from Bell to Fido.

At the local Fido store, after inserting Fido Sim card, it recognized Fido network right away and all setting seems fine and works ok (even though I'm not always getting LTE (H+))...

After few mins later I noticed that I'm not getting short code text messages  (i.e. Bank alerts or whatsapp verification code) anymore as well as MMS message from other provider except Fido/Rogers. After few hours, I did a factory reboot and I tested again but still same problem. It seems like there are few ppl having same issue.

Can someone help me to solve this issue?

My phone is unlocked Xiaomi Note 5 Pro and there was no problem at all with Bell.

Thank you in advance

22 REPLIES 22

cormant

@Othersky,

You've described a problem I've had for TWO YEARS now, even after buying a new phone from Fido directly. Fido/Rogers have been zero help in resolving (sorry to Fido/Rogers people reading this but it's true; forum posts, calls, in-person visits - it always ends up with a shrug).

Can you please tell me you've found a solution after all this time???

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @cormant!

Is it a specific message from a shortcode that you cannot receive? If so, do you happen to know what shortcode it's meant to come from?

For it to work, the shortcode needs to be on the approved list. Is it on that list?

Let us know Smiley 

cormant

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying. You can see my detailed post here: https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Support/Not-Receiving-Shortcodes-and-some-other-texts/m-p/166618

It's all short codes (I'm going to harzard a guess that TD Canada Trust and the Canada Revenue Agency are approved to distribute texts on Canadian networks), plus some texts from other carriers.

This firmly has to be a Rogers/Fido issue. Over two years and two phones, including a flagship phone bought from Fido and multiple sim cards and no fix. It's to the point that it affects my day-to-day life. Not just because there's features of the phone that cost several thousand dollars that I cannot access or use, but also because I cannot access or delete accounts from companies, confirm appointments, etc. It's unreal that this is still an issue for me.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for directing me to the additional information @cormant.

This definitely shouldn't be happening and we need to check out your account in order to fix it. On your end, we'll need you to gather specific examples (exact day, time) of messages you aren't receiving.

We're sending you a private message, we'll continue there in order to get to the bottom of this. 

pbountr
I'm a participant level 2

A few months ago my phone stopped receiving sms short codes. Today I changed my phone device to the 11pro max and I am still having the l same issue. 

Apple says it’s not in their end, Fido says the same and the apps are also saying they see no issues! I need this fixed ASAP!! 

Hey @pbountr! I hope you're doing well. Smiley

I've moved your post to this thread, as it should have the answers that you seek.

Keep us all informed here if it works or not.

pbountr

@FidoPhilippe  Hello. I’ve tried everything. I checked out the towers and there is a TELUS, Rogers and Bell tower within a few blocks. I’m also on LTE so that’s not an issue. I’ve deleted the apps and downloaded them again. Nothing is working. This Is becoming extremely frustrating. 

please help! 

Hello @pbountr,

Are you not receiving all short codes or only some in particular? 

pbountr

@FidoAnthonyZ  Hi I’m not Receiving any short codes at all 

Hey pbountr!

Have you checked the list of short codes approved by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association? Are the short codes from which you are attempting to receive messages on this list?

You can find the list on txt.ca.

You will only be able to receive text messages from officially approved short codes on this list.

Let us know! 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Othersky,

Welcome to the community!

Where did you purchase that phone? Is this phone the one you have? If it is, according to the specifications listed on that page, these are the band/frequency specifications for that phone:

• 4G FDD-LTE1/3/5
          TDD-LTE 40/41 (120MHz)
  • 3G WCDMA 1/2/5/8
  • 2G GSM 2/3/5/8

The phone has all of the compatible band/frequencies for 2G and '3G' (note Fido/Rogers GSM network is to be decommissioned by December 31st, 2020). Unfortunately, that phone does not have any compatible bands/frequencies for LTE. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. Coverage depends on corresponding bands/frequencies on your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here

Could you please clarify what you meant by there was no problem at all with Bell. Were you able to access their LTE network with that phone? It doesn't have any of their main LTE bands/frequencies either. If you were able to access their LTE network, it would have been using band 5. That's interesting as it's generally used for extra bandwidth within cities and rural coverage and not one of their main LTE bands (see here). 

On the other hand, if you were only getting HPSA+ (H+) with Bell using that phone and only getting HPSA (H) with Fido/Rogers, the discrepancy could be your location relative to their cellular towers. It's possible your location is farther from Fido/Rogers' towers than you were with Bell towers.

Not being able to connect to the LTE network shouldn't affect your ability to receive SMS from short codes, though. With regards to receiving MMS, do you recollect with which protocol your phone was connected, H or H+ (or Edge, E)? If you were connected to H or E, it's possible your signal was not strong enough to receive MMS.

If you have a different phone (or version) could you please provide its specifications or a link to which phone you actually have?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Othersky

Hi Cawtau

Thanks for your reply.

Actually there are many different version of Redmi Note 5 series..

Mine is HongKong version (its official name is Redmi Note 5 and it looks like Note 5 Pro Indian Version but little bit different) and based on its information it says

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz 
3G: WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8
4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20
TDD-LTE B38/B40

First of all, what I meant by 'there was no problem with Bell' is I could connect to 4G network, get SMS from Short Codes (Bank Alerts and verification code) and MMS from other providers than Bell.

• Band/Frequency Issue: With Bell, I always get 4G.(my phone says 4G but not LTE) After switching to Fido, I usually get H+ and sometimes H but never 4G/LTE. I think it is my fault to switch to Fido without checking (or assuming that Fido should have similar frequency as Bell). As you said, as 3G (H+) network is to be docommissioned by Dec 2020 which I didn't know at all..I feel like I made a mistake. I should check more and didn't fully trust what the salesman said. I think there is nothing I can do about this right?
  • SMS from Short Codes: As you said, this should be afftected by band issue. Not sure why I'm not getting messages from Short Codes. One thing that I can was from Fido when I install my Fido App. but nothing from normal Banks...i.e. BMO or PC financial...etc. Is there any solution. I will call customer service tomorrow but do you have any idea to slove as this is the most important for me?
  • MMS from other provider: I tested with one friend today. I will test few more tormorrow.

Thanks in advance

Hey @Othersky,

Welcome to the Community Smiley

Only short codes that are approved by The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) can be received on your phone.

You can find the current list here.

If the short code is part of it and you're still not able to receive it, let us know and we'll send you a PM Smiley

Othersky

Hi FidoClaudia,

Thanks for your reply

Yes, all of them are in the list (i.e. BMO Alert, Whatsapp verification etc).

BTW, what is a PM?

I just noticed that one short code for verification code of an app (similar to Whatsapp) is not in the list.

But I had no problem to get their text when I was with Bell...(I'm trying to find their short code number. I will let you know if I find)

Thanks again

Hello again,

@Othersky wrote: ...BTW, what is a PM?... 

A PM is a Private Message. Certain issues can only be looked into (and hopefully resolved) with access to your account details. This forum is public, discussions regarding accounts are done via PM since gaining access to your account requires verification of some personal details. You can access your private messages by clicking on your username --> clicking on envelope icon.

You can also send PMs to others by hovering the pointer on the intended recipient's username and clicking Send Message.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Othersky

Thanks Cawtau

• After re-set APN, now I'm getting 4G (but not always tho...which is acceptable :)). Thanks again.
  • Short Code message: I talked customer service and they did reboot but still not receiving...
  • MMS from other provider: Not getting MMS from other providers even Rogers. I can receive only from Fido

@FidoClaudia Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks in advance

Thanks for the update @Othersky

Sending a PM your way!

Badawy0118
I'm a participant level 3

Same issue here , not receiving confirmation messages from Uber 

Hey @Badawy0118!

Welcome to the Community Smiley

Were you able to follow the steps provided by our members to see if that helps?

Badawy0118

Hi , I did but no use , I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and it worked fine thank you