cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Receiving Shortcodes (and some other texts)

cormant
I'm a contributor level 1

TLDR: I don't receive shortcode texts as well as general text messages from some numbers (seems to be Bell Canada numbers and potentially others). Can't be hardware, must be network or software-related. One thing (a verification text from WhatsApp while I was setting up my phone got through) makes me think it may be a settings or software issue)

For about six years I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, originally from Bell Canada. I used the phone on both the Bell Canada and TMobile (in the US) networks without issue. In March of last year I joined Fido and at some point after joining (I don't know how long) I realised I wasn't receiving shortcode texts - e.g. verification texts.

I was told by Fido that since I had onboarded a phone with them that they couldn't give me technical support to help solve the issue. Fair enough!

In early September I upgraded (through Fido) to a Samsung S20+. However, this did not solve my shortcode issue - I still wasn't receiving them on my new phone (however, see below). I talked to Fido support and they suggested getting a new SIM card, since I had just continued to use my old one. I did and that didn't fix the issue. I also tried that SIM card in my girlfriend's phone and I couldn't receive shortcodes to that phone, either.

I tried three times to escalate the issue with tech support (once with Fido, twice with Rogers). The second time I called, the technician determined that it wasn't just shortcodes I wasn't receiving, but also texts from Bell Canada numbers (possibly more, that's the only one tested). I do receive texts from Rogers and Fido numbers. The last time it was escalated Rogers came back and said there's no blocks on my number and they don't think the issue is coming from their end.

*So now I'm completely at the end of my rope and looking for ideas, because there are certain apps and features of my new phone that I literally cannot access because I can't receive a verification text. I also can't delete/log in to some accounts*

To detail things that have been checked:

- APN settings (I've tried many, also shouldn't affect texts)

- AdGuard (no texts whether or not AdGuard is running)

- SIM card in my phone

- SIM card in a different phone

- Whether the company sending the text is permitted on Canada's text network - I don't receive *any* shortcodes - Google, Facebook, DoorDash, TD Canada, the CRA, etc - I get none of them

- The settings of the Messages app (unless there's some super obscure setting)

The one thing I will note is that when I was setting up my new phone and my apps and settings were transferring over from my old phone, I received a verification code from WhatsApp. However, once the new phone was fully set up I once again stopped receiving shortcode texts. *This makes me think that there must be a setting that is affecting things - after whatever setting from my old phone was restored on my new phone, it shut off the texts again*

Please help me, Fido Community, you're my only hope!

10 REPLIES 10

toho2k
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am trying to turn on 2 factor auth. from my web hosting provider, siteground.com 
I am not receiving the sms codes they are sending to verify my phone. They claim that other Canadian customers have been able to verify. Can you advise?  Thanks 

FidoAnthonyZ

Hello @cormant,

Happy to hear you were able to get the WhatsApp code. There shouldn't be a setting impacting you not receiving certain short codes. We allow all short codes found in this list.

-FidoAnthonyZ

cormant

Thanks. But you can see why this is frustrating from my perspective, right? So apparently there are no settings that would cause my to have short-codes blocked, and Fido/Rogers telling me the block is not coming from their end, then what is it? Something must be happening, somwhere, for me to not receive these kinds of texts across two different (flagship model) phones on this specific network.

So, if there are any crazy ideas that people have, I'm open to trying them because there are literal features of my phone I can't use

Hey @cormant

According to the information we have available here, all approved short codes are listed in the link provided above. These are the ones approved by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA).

If the messages you're trying to get are originating from a short code that isn't on this list, we'd recommend contacting the relevant organization or business to request an alternative way to communicate or authenticate, and suggest they provision their short codes in Canada with the CWTA and Canadian wireless carriers. If the short code is on the list on the other hand, we'd suggest double-checking that the correct code is being entered and to try sending ``Help`` to that same number to see if anything comes back through. 

cormant

Hi again,

I'm guessing that Microsoft, Google, TD Canada Trust, the Canadian Revenue Agency, and other companies are all approved (none of which I receive texts from). It also doesn't explain why I don't receive texts from other carriers, such as Bell, as noted in my original post.

Still appreciative of the suggestion!

Hey @cormant, I will try my best to help you out!

Have you played around in your messages settings? Specially under the "Permissions" section?

Let me know!

cormant

Hi,

All permissions granted. Doesn't explain why I can't receive texts from some carriers and not others

Hey @cormant

In this case we could take a closer look to review some additional troubleshooting steps. You can contact us through any of the available channels on this page. 

Otherwise, we can also send you a PM from here if you would prefer! Let us know. Smiley 

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @cormant

I can understand how this would be a worrisome situation. Thank you for providing all these details, it helps us have a better understanding of the situation. 

You mentioned that you had tested your SIM in a different phone. Can you confirm if you had the same problem with the other device? You also specified that the messages were working fine at some point before the configuration of your new phone. Have you had a chance to try and reset the phone to factory setting to see if you're able to receive these messages while using the default settings?

cormant

Hi again,

I've just tried resetting the phone now. During the setup process it was able to verify my Samsung Account using shortcode text, but everything I've tried since then (including verifying WhatsApp and Duo) has not worked. This time I didn't restore any apps or settings; just using the 'stock' everything

EDIT

I was actually able to get a code for WhatsApp. When I switched the country code setting for my phone number in app from CAN +1 to USA +1 it worked. Even though the country code is the same; could be just coincidence. Duo still doesn't work, even when I try that same trick

But, anyway both the Samsung and Whatsapp verification texts came from the same number to my phone - if that means anything?