Will my phone work on the Fido network?

Highlighted
MVP
MVP

Will my phone work on the Fido network?

Hello,

Your device must be compatible with the Fido/Rogers network, which uses:

GSM ~ EDGE (2G) ~ on band 5 (850MHz) and/or band 2 (1900MHz)

UMTS or WCDMA ~ HSPA (3G) / HSPA+ (4G) ~ on band 5 (850 MHz) and/or band 2 (1900 MHz).

To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:

• Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz) and/or
  • Band 7 (2600 MHz) and/or
  • Band 17 (700 MHz)

The more compatible bands/frequencies a phone has, the greater likelihood of service. That said, the phone does not need to be compatible with all of the bands/frequencies in order for it to work with the Fido/Rogers networks. Access to the networks would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all of the towers use all of the bands/frequencies.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

** Edited to add labels **

Accepted Solution

Re: Will my phone work on the Fido network?

Hello,

Following acquisitions from the 2014 Canadian 700 MHz spectrum auction, Fido/Rogers now also operates band 12 (700 MHz) in some provinces.

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 22
  • LTE
  • Network
  • Unlocked Phone
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello,

Following acquisitions from the 2014 Canadian 700 MHz spectrum auction, Fido/Rogers now also operates band 12 (700 MHz) in some provinces.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 22
I’m a connoisseur spice
I’m a connoisseur

Is there an area map coverage for the different bands to share?

• Band 17 (700 MHz
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 22
MVP
MVP

spice wrote:

Is there an area map coverage for the different bands to share?

• Band 17 (700 MHz

Hello Spice,

Welcome to the forums!

There are some sites which show the location and bands/frequencies of the cell towers. I tend to use this site. While I can't vouch for its accuracy, it does seem to be fairly up-to-date. Unfortunately, it does not show the 700 MHz locations. Hopefully it will be updated with that information soon.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 22
I’m an amateur manntonio
I’m an amateur

Hello, new at this forum thing--- I'm using my cousin's galaxy S5 from Verizon. I bought it from her while up here on holidays this last Christmas. I'm giving it to my parents and they went to fido and it does not want to work as in no bars/signal. I've made sure it is not on the blacklis, and as far as I know verizon phones are not carrier locked. Any iDea why it won't work? Thank you in advance.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 22
MVP
MVP

manntonio wrote:
Hello, new at this forum thing--- I'm using my cousin's galaxy S5 from Verizon. I bought it from her while up here on holidays this last Christmas. I'm giving it to my parents and they went to fido and it does not want to work as in no bars/signal. I've made sure it is not on the blacklis, and as far as I know verizon phones are not carrier locked. Any iDea why it won't work? Thank you in advance.

Hello Manntonio,

Welcome to the forums!

According to the specifications listed here, the Verizon S5 (SM-G900V) is a CDMA-based phone but should have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. However, there would only be one compatible band/frequency for LTE, band 4 (1700/2100 MHz).

There have been difficulties trying to get Verizon phones to work on other networks (see here). First, had your cousin used the phone on the Verizon network? I had previously speculated that a phone needed to be activated on Verizon prior to being able to be used on other networks.

Have you verified that the phone is set for GSM networks? Verizon's main network is CDMA and would not be compatible with GSM. Under Settings --> More networks --> Mobile networks --> Network mode, ensure the phone is set for GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect). If your setting is CDMA/GSM (auto) or similar, I would still change it to a setting without CDMA.

You should also verify that the APN settings are correct. It should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify the correct settings here, under How to configure Android device.

Hope some of this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 22
I’m an amateur ks5
I’m an amateur

Yes.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 22
MVP
MVP

Cawtau wrote:

Hello,

Your device must be compatible with the Fido/Rogers network, which uses:

GSM ~ EDGE (2G) ~ on band 5 (850MHz) and/or band 2 (1900MHz)

UMTS or WCDMA ~ HSPA (3G) / HSPA+ (4G) ~ on band 5 (850 MHz) and/or band 2 (1900 MHz).

• Band 17 (700 MHz)

The more compatible bands/frequencies a phone has, the greater likelihood of service. That said, the phone does not need to be compatible with all of the bands/frequencies in order for it to work with the Fido/Rogers networks. Access to the networks would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all of the towers use all of the bands/frequencies.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Hello,

My apologies for neglecting to include Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) as another designation for band 4.

• Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz; AWS) and/or
  • Band 12 (700 MHz) and/or
  • Band 17 (700 MHz) 

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 22
MVP
MVP

Cawtau wrote:

There are some sites which show the location and bands/frequencies of the cell towers. I tend to use this site. While I can't vouch for its accuracy, it does seem to be fairly up-to-date. Unfortunately, it does not show the 700 MHz locations. Hopefully it will be updated with that information soon.

Hello,

That cellular tower mapping site has now been updated to include 700 MHz locations.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 22
I’m an amateur ryanwang
I’m an amateur

Hi:

my phone has LET, but i cannot use LET here.

the bands are:

TD-LTE: 1990/2300/2600 MHz;

LTE FDD: 1800/2100/2600MHz;

and also i had tried to set up letmoble.apn on my phone, I still just have 3G, not 4G.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 22
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 33 likes
  • 10 in conversation