cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Fido ACCOUNT hacked

JunjiMtljp
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, my fido account is hacked by someone. In my account, someone buy two phones.

I have to pay 5 times more in my bill. 

Please help me to solve this problem.

6 REPLIES 6

Seashell1
I'm a participant level 3

It is happening to me now. I am on roaming. 2 months ago I got charged for data usage I didn't use.  20$ plus tax. Last month a text message I didn't send. 15$ plus tax . I tried to explain to fido but they didn't believe me. I paid. Now somehow this month I have reached my cap of 100$ on data  and 6 text messages I haven't sent! Over 200 $ just to keep a line to see who is calling me so I can return the calls from a local number where I'm at. All my efforts to fido are proving futile.  I don't know what to do!

Penacare
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

The same thing happened to me last month (April) and they also changed my plan from 5GB to 1GB. I called FIDO and they told me they would contact me in less than 72 hours. But nothing yet! They already charged me the phone on my May bill. When am I going to have a solution to this problem?

Hey @Penacare

I am sorry to see that you've had this kind of experience. I can totally understand how worrisome it must be to have any kind of transactions happen on your account if you weren't the one who authorized it. I assure you that we take these kinds of situations very seriously!

If you've already reported this, the case was assigned to a specialized team that is working hard to get everything sorted out and back in order for your account. It's possible that there may be some delays, but someone will definitely be in touch with you as quickly as they can to get to the bottom of this for you! 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @JunjiMtljp

Welcome to the community Smiley

As this seems like an unusual transaction that you're unaware of, I'll be sending you a PM right away so we can review the situation together. We'll get to the bottom of it as soon as possible.

Seashell1

The same thing happened to me last month (April) and they also changed my plan from 5GB to 1GB. I called FIDO and they told me they would contact me in less than 72 hours. But nothing yet! They already charged me the phone on my May bill. When am I going to have a solution to this problem?

Hello Seashell1,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your account. However, from what you note, they may be two separate issues.

With regards to an account change you did not make, you should note that this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We do not have access to customers' accounts. If you would like to investigate your situation, you would need to re-contact customer service. If they verify the changes occurred in your account, they will likely put you in touch with their Fraud Department. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. If the Fraud Department have still have not yet contacted you, you might consider contacting them directly (see here).

@Seashell1 wrote:

It is happening to me now. I am on roaming. 2 months ago I got charged for data usage I didn't use.  20$ plus tax. Last month a text message I didn't send. 15$ plus tax . I tried to explain to fido but they didn't believe me. I paid. Now somehow this month I have reached my cap of 100$ on data  and 6 text messages I haven't sent! Over 200 $ just to keep a line to see who is calling me so I can return the calls from a local number where I'm at.....

With regards to the roaming charges, I don't think the charges are related to any hacking of your account. I understand someone may have accessed your account to make changes without your knowledge, however, it is not possible for someone else to register mobile usage on your line without your SIM card.

The Fido Roam charge incurs when your device uses Fido Services abroad. That is, the charge will incur when you make/receive calls, send text messages or your device uses data outside of Canada (see here). I understand you might not have intended on roaming usage. However, the mobile providers only know usage. If a device is using services when its settings are set not to use them, that's an issue with the device. The mobile providers have no access to a device's settings to know what settings are enabled/disabled.

In general, in order to prevent roaming charges it is recommended to disable data and roaming data. Had you disabled those settings? However, you should note that disabling data and roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. In addition, some manufacturers might allow some data usage to occur despite those settings (see here).

Also, had you received any text messages? While incoming SMS does not incur roaming charges, another setting to consider disabling would be text read or delivered receipts.  If your device provides the delivered or read receipts, those would be considered sent messages.

That's why it is generally recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS or emergency calls. However, people need to know how their devices behave if they intend on keeping their devices available for those services.

It should also be mentioned that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

I understand this is a difficult time and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider arranging a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations team. It should be mentioned that a payment arrangement might not be available in all situations.

As already mentioned, if you wish to discuss those roaming charges, you would need to contact customer service.

If you wish to keep your line available abroad, there is unfortunately no 100% guarantee your device won't use other services and trigger roaming charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers