4 GB / $10 tablet data plan - Does not support incoming SMS as advertised

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

4 GB / $10 tablet data plan - Does not support incoming SMS as advertised

Hello, I have spoken with several live chat and phone agents now, and every single one of them confirms that the current 4 GB / $10 tablet data plan supports unlimited incoming texts. Also, in the Fido app, the plan description states:

FEATURES:

4GB Data

Unlimited Incoming Text

Call Forwarding - 20¢/minute

Billed Usage-Invoice Details

Detailed Billing

However, incoming SMS messages simply never arrive. Many others out there have confirmed the same thing, that incoming texts simply don't work. Of the agents I have conversed with, they have even provided cut-and-paste descriptions of my plan, which indicate that incoming text is supported. I have also confirmed with an agent that no blocking of incoming texts is on my account,. Yet, incoming texts don't work.

Thus, I suspect that the descriptions of the plan that the agents are reading and which my Fido app lists, are simply wrong. Or else, something at the back end on the technical side isn't set properly.

Can someone please reconcile this for me? Either the plan does NOT include this feature and the description of the plan is wrong, or else customers with this plan are not getting what is advertised for this plan.

Please don't just tell me incoming texts should work fine, because three agents have already told me this, and many of us out there have already confirmed that they don't.

Accepted Solution

Re: 4 GB / $10 tablet data plan - Does not support incoming SMS as advertis

Hi Community!

Just wanted to provide an update on incoming SMS with our current data-only plans.

These plans are intended for tablets and incoming SMS will not work. They do however still have an incoming SMS option attached but the only incoming SMS that will work are alerts such as the $50 data overage notification. Regular texts will unfortunately not be received.

If you have one of these plans are not not using it on a tablet and need text messaging don't hesitate to contact us so that we can review your options for a different plan. Thank you! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted

Here is the description of the plan, which clearly indicates incoming SMS is supported:

IMG_8311.PNG

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ef4,

Happy Holidays!

As far as I am aware, the data-only plans do not support any text messages (neither incoming or outgoing) anymore (see here). The data-only plans used to allow voice and messaging on a pay-per-use basis. I think some of the older data-only plans might still allow them as a part of a grandfathered plan. However, the new data-only plans do not support either.

Hope this helps! 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 16
Highlighted

Thanks. That may be so, but my plan description clearly states that it includes unlimited incoming texts and three different agents on three different occasions have “confirmed” it to be included in the plan. However this just seems to be false. 

Basically, I’d like to see either incoming texts supported as advertised or else they should correct the plan description in the app and correct the info that the agents are reading when they “confirm” these plan features to us. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted

Hey @ef4,

Essentially data only plans will provide you with the data feature only. They no longer support talk and text on a pay per use basis as before.

I'll also be sending you a PM so we can take a closer look. Talk to you soon!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 16
Highlighted

Hey all!

We received confirmation that the plan does indeed include the capability to receive incoming SMS. The Unlimited Incoming Text feature is added to prevent customers from being charged incoming SMS in the event they put their SIM card in a phone, as incoming SMS are free.

That said, not all tablets support SMS capability – if SMS is supported on the tablet, then the manufacturer will include an SMS app in the OS out of the box; if not supported, then an SMS app would not be built into the OS.

Hope this helps Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

@FidoSaad 

I am unable to receive SMS, since the unlimited incoming text feature is confirmed, who can help to solve this issue? Thanks in advance!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 16
Highlighted

Hello @bfdy

You would need to have a built in App on your Tablet. What device + OS are you using right now?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 16
Highlighted

I used the sim on my mobile phone, it has working sms app.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 16
Highlighted

Neither iphone8 or "android 10 + oneplus" works, btw

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 16