Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only plan (tablet) - No incoming SMS

alkizmo
I'm a participant level 3

I just added a second line to my account with a 4GB $15/month data only plan 

According to the features, I should be able to receive SMS (not transmit).

Yet... I am not receiving any SMS. Is this a feature that is blocked? I really need to be able to receive incoming SMS for 2-factor authentication for my work.

FidoSMSTablet.png

5 REPLIES 5

FidoFaiza

Hi @alkizmo

The data-only plans no longer come with text messages (both incoming and outgoing), so you should not be seeing this in the app. I apologize for the misinformation Sad

I will send you a PM in just a bit to get some details for you so that we can have it corrected. 

Thanks. 

Hello, 

Just wanted to update this thread. 

We received confirmation that the plan does indeed include the capability to receive incoming SMS. The Unlimited Incoming Text feature is added to prevent customers from being charged incoming SMS in the event they put their SIM card in a phone, as incoming SMS are free.

That said, not all tablets support SMS capability – if SMS is supported on the tablet, then the manufacturer will include an SMS app in the OS out of the box; if not supported, then an SMS app would not be built into the OS.

Hope this helps.

alkizmo

I'm using a Pixel 2.

I had my regular voice/data SIM card in that phone and it could receive SMS.

When I changed the SIM to the data only plan, I could no longer receive SMS (to the phone number assigned to the SIM).

I'm going to try on a different phone later tonight, but I have my doubts.

Hello Alkizmo,

Welcome to the community!

Apparently there seems to be a little discrepancy and/or confusion regarding incoming SMS on data-only tablet plans. As mentioned above, the plans do include unlimited incoming SMS to prevent incoming SMS from being charged. However, it appears as though only alert SMS (ie data overage notification) will work. Regular text messages will not be received (see here).

You should note there are some Data and Text (ie no calls) plans available. However, the included data is not as much as a tablet plan.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

alkizmo

Oh this clarifies the incoming SMS with the tablet plan.

If there is no possibility to receive SMS without getting a voice plan, I will simply remain on data and deal with 2-factor authentication differently.

Thanks Cawtau!