cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10/mo 4GB tablet plan byod

timr01
I'm a participant level 2
Trying to add new tablet plans using my own device. The web page https://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets says you can add a tablet or bring your own but there doesn't seem to be a way to get past the select tablet page. I'd like to do this online withing my existing account to save the $50 connection fee.
5 REPLIES 5

highseektier

You have to first try the web site.
If that fails (usually does), then you chat with ASKJACK then an agent and mention that you tried the web site and failed and that you'd like the $50 waived.

That will fail too on the first bill, but you can now call back and get it sorted out on the second bill.

Been happening like that for a long while.

Also, if you intend to keep that account for 2+years, it would be worth to get a new tablet as well. They get obsolete so fast now (apps need upgrades and the upgraded upp doesn't run on older OS, etc., new apps are memory or cpu hungry, the battery holds less charge ... ... )

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @timr01,

Welcome to the community!

The website does not indicate you can use your own and get a plan the website only offers tablets+data line in order to get just the data line you will need to contact customer service and they will be able to help you.

timr01

Actually if you go to the web page referenced above, i.e. Shop > Tablets page, and scroll down to the "HOW TO ACTIVATE YOUR DATA ONLY PLAN", Step 1 states "You can choose a brand new tablet or you can even bring your own. It's up to you!". There is no mention of needing to contact customer service before proceeding to Step 2 "GET THIS PLAN".

Hello Timr01,

Welcome to the community!

Do you also have post-paid mobile services with Fido? The Tablet and Hotspot Plans are only for eligible post-paid mobile customers.

I believe you would need to contact customer service in order to add a Tablet plan so they may verify your eligible post-paid plan. In the past, people have devised many fraudlent schemes for obtaining those plans without an eligible plan. I think the new measure to contact customer service is so they may prevent those schemes. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

timr01

I'm not sure what an eligible post-paid mobile customer is and the Live Chat person didn't seem to know for sure either. I have a post paid plan. What makes it eligible or not does not seem to be defined anywhere. Long story short, I ended up going to a Costco kiosk to get a couple byod SIM cards per the final recommendation from the Live Chat. What I was looking to avoid was the $50 activation fee per device by setting them up online.