cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC SIM Card

uyyut123
I'm a participant level 2

When will Fido have NFC SIM cards available? 

***Edited to add labels***

39 REPLIES 39

cagrunner
I'm a participant level 1

Does Fido have any plans to rollout the NFC SIM card? Not asking for dates, just asking whether or not Fido would ever support NFC technology.

ciao_hi
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Now that:

- Apple Pay launched in Canada and does not use NFC SIM

- Suretap has packed up and gone home

- RBC and TD migrated to Host Card Emulation (HCE)

- UGO started to use HCE (instead of NFC SIM)

- Android Pay (rumored to be launched in Canada later this year) is also based on HCE

There are little points in offering NFC SIMs.

Sellig

Hello everybody,

Mu phone got NFC built in and my bank offer the app to pay with a phone. Greay I use it all the time.

My question is, if your phone is not equipped with NFC like most of them can the NFC SIM card allow to use payments by NFC?

Thanks.

If yes NFC SIMs have a full value.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That's a good question @Sellig Smiley 

@Community anyone know? 

Hey cagrunner!

Welcome to the Community!

No word yet. Keep an eye on Fido.ca for an updates. Smiley

Kevin4
Any update on this? We cannot use all of our fido phone without it. I have Owen my s4 for almost 2 years and I am still waiting for the updated sim card. Please advise on time line for this?

Hi Kevin4.

Welcome to the community! 

We don't have any word yet on whether or not we'll be offering NFC SIM cards in the future. 

Sukh007
Bell offers NFC Sim cards

Cartfan123

It looks very unlikely Fido will ever offer NFC SIM cards. There has been zero evidence to suggest they will get it at all.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@Cartfan123 wrote:

It looks very unlikely Fido will ever offer NFC SIM cards. There has been zero evidence to suggest they will get it at all.

That's not going to be a problem for much longer. I heard that the banks are going to move security into the cloud so we won't need to wait for a specific carrier to have NFC SIMs. It might not be as secure as a physical SIM but it's a heckuva lot more convenient.

killahbyte
6 months gone by, I talked to Fido today both in store and customer service, and they had no clue what I was asking about. This doesn't even seem like a feature in the near futur. My contract is up and moving to one of the big three is becoming an easier decision by the day.

hey_tommy
I'm a participant level 3

Seriously, the lack of NFC SIM cards or any updates on when, or if, it will be ever implemented, is quite ridiculous.

If the decision NOT to have NFC SIM cards is because it's supposed to be some sort of premium differentiating feature that is only available on the more premium big brother (Rogers), then that is a pretty terrible decision. Most people will only become aware of this "differentiator" when faced with not being able to use banking apps to pay for purchases, but when they do, no one is going to decide (oh, I'm going to switch to Rogers and pay an extra 15-20 a month just so I can pay for things with my phone. All you're doing is pissing off your loyal customer base, because you're holding back a feature which wouldn't even really cost you much to implement in the first place.

torontoguy

I'm a long time Fido customer and very disappointed to see that NFC SIM Cards have been available on Rogers for years but there doesn't seem to be any plans to offer them to Fido customers. Thank you Rogers for making me feel like a second class (Fido) customer!

DaedalusWren

Has there been any progress in wrestling the NFC sim card from Rogers for our phones?

Orlandu
I agree the phone is awesome and notice that the same deeps are at virgin sub brand of bell but
Virgin gets all the "goodies" at the same time as bell... like when they launched exclusive devices and mobile payments...

Seb855
Ohhhhh nevermind lol my phone is supported !!! Gonna look if i can activate with fido a rogers nfc sim card and if not i will be a telus customer next week 😛

BenStolin

Any luck with getting an NFC Sim from Rogers/Fido yet? I am also thinking of switching away to Telus.

euser_name
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

So... any update on the NFC SIM card question. Are you folks at Fido even working on it? Please, no canned replies like the one from FidoRachel.

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

The "canned answer" is all anyone from Fido is authorized to give.

But after all this time, there's no reason to think Fido will ever have NFC SIMs. If you absolutely want it, switch to another carrier - apparently Koodo got it 4 months ago.

AndyIo

It has been a full year after the initial post. For an industrial that's constantly revoluting, I cannot see this an acceptable speed to move forward.