cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 not connecting to data network unless I reboot

erinb90
I'm a participant level 2

My G5 is about 3 months old. Last week it installed an LG software update. Since then, whenever my signal gets weak or lost (such as in the subway or a basement), it does not reconnect back to LTE once I have a strong signal again. Sometimes I will get a phone signal but not data, other times I will not even get a phone signal at all. Once I restart the phone, everything works fine again.

Toggling mobile data on and off does not work. Turning airplane mode on and off actually makes it worse (I lose signal entirely). Wifi connection is fine. 

I have tried resetting the network settings, no change. I then did a factory reset, no change.

This happens several times a day so it is very annoying having to always reboot my phone.

Does anyone have any advice, or will I need to replace my phone under warranty? 

67 REPLIES 67

alexlip80
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am having same issue with my lg g5.

The APN configured correctly

Network reset and factory reset didn't help.

It's very annoying. I keep rebooting my device abou 20 times a day.

Hey @alexlip80,

Welcome to our Community!

I get that having to reboot your device that often must not be pleasant Sad

I've a few questions for you to get more info and assist you better:

1. Does this happen only indoors or outdoors as well?

2. What OS are you running?

2. Would it be possible to test your SIM card in a different device? This would allow us to know if the situation is device specific.

Thanks in advance!

TheFirstDeity

Same problem here, started a few weeks ago and I think it was just after an LG app updated. Indoor/outdoor doesn't matter, signal strength doesn't matter, it happens randomly over time even when I stay in the same place, about once per hour. Data is the problem, calls work fine. Like the others, only solution is to reboot several times per day.

OS is Android 7.0
I don't have another device to test SIM

Hey @TheFirstDeity!

We haven't heard back from you. Any updates on the situation?

This is definitely odd @TheFirstDeity!

Do you have VoLTE active in your settings? If so, have you tested it with that option disabled?

This does seem to maybe be software related. Is a software restore something you'd be able to try?

Let us know!

TheFirstDeity

Disabling VoLTE didn't work. I don't want to do a software restore yet because it looks like it's been ineffective for everyone else on this thread.

Let's try something @TheFirstDeity, this will erase saved Wi-Fi passwords.

From your settings, find the Backup & Reset option, and select Reset network settings

Let us know if it helps! 

Hey @TheFirstDeity

Did it end up working on your side?

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@erinb90 Try doing a network settings reset and see if it helps, go to settings backup and reset and you should see it in there. Once done you probably will have to add back the Fido APN settings you can get that here.

erinb90

I have already tried this and it did not help.

Hey @erinb90!

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your phone. I'll send you a PM so we can check this out together! Smiley 

sardanapal
I'm a participant level 3

Same story with my LG G5 on FIDO.

After update the phone at tmes looses network and people calling me go directly to voicemail.

Sending text messages loops on "sending"

Turning on/off airoplan mode does not help - only full restart fixes it.

I have the phone since June - it never hapened before the update.

To be perfectly honest, I can't guarantee anything. I'm just providing a suggestion to run this test, in hopes of figuring out a solution to the issues you've been having. 

Since it sounds like the issue might either be related to the phone itself, or the software, a "Factory Reset" is definitely a good attempt to try & fix any phone related "bugs" you've been having. 

Before deleting any content from your phone though, I'd strongly suggest to complete full backup of the phone in attempt to avoid loosing any important content! You can always refer to the link I sent above, for the step-by-steps 😃

If anyone has any other suggestions, we're all ears! Hope this helps.

Dezign
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

The same thing has been happening to S7 Edge customers on Fido since March.

The thread is here.  It has not been resolved, but there may be information there that can help.

Good luck.

sardanapal

Oh wow, yes that thread does describe my issue perfectly.

Since I posted, I went to FIDO store were my SIM was replaced, Phone was factory reset and they even reset the network settings somewhere on the server. The issue is still happening - I have TWO LG G5s and both are dropping calls daily, SMS messages have to be resend, I tried disabling LTE, VOLTE, nothing changes. I was advised by FIDO store NOT to send phone in for repairs as if the issue is not obvious (i.e. phone is not dead) they will not do anything, just reset it again.

This is beyond rediculous. 

Hey @sardanapal

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing issues with your connection to our network. To be sure we've gone through all the possible causes behind this, can you let us know if the issue is location specific at all? 

Does this happen everywhere you go? 

casey3

my phone has had several manufacture defects I am on the 3rd ome LG has sent me. 

Now my data work work. It isbat one bar constantly and never on LTE despite my location is the same place I have been for 3 year no problem. 

Factory reset, reboot, network reset, apn setting reset, new sim card, 11 technician phone calls..

nothing has helped, the techs at fido told me to google it or get a rabbit eat antenna for my phone.

So frustrated, can not do my job. May have to cancel plan and switch to new provider if they cant fix my problem

Hey @casey3

I would like to take a look at what was done so far about your situation.

I'm sending you a PM now to get this looked into. Talk to you soon.

casey3

Thank you, they tech team seems to think I have exhausted my options.. I am very frusterated as I had perfect Lte service before, and my problem Is I can not uploaf videos to my social media as my data connection is so poor, also it will not upload with wifi as my connection is poor. But the last couple years it has been perfect, last month Everyday I was uploading videos in a split secomd and now I wait 5 days and its still in the que and will not load. I can scroll social media I can google websites and get to the browser but I can not upload or download. 

sardanapal

I cant tell for sure if its location specific, but it definately happens a lot when I am at home. People keep asking me "are you in the basement?" as my voice is constantly breaking up to them. The interesting thing is that I hear them loud and clear why they struggle to hear me. Then the call would disconnect and then I will look at the network signal strength and I get at most one bar. Earlier today it happened at Bayview and hwy7 - the phone lost network for about 30 minutes and nothing would make it connnect - not restart, not disabling LTE, 30 minutes later the phone started workign fine, and I did not move. By the way I never get more then two signal strength bars when I am on LTE. Not in any location. Disabling LTE seems to help somewhat but not much. Happens to both my LG G5 phones.   

Thank you for all of this information @sardanapal

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. Smiley