Voicemail Text Notification

I'm a Contributor Level 2 gcrmt
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Voicemail Text Notification

This is something that I've always been puzzled about. Been with Fido for nearly 12years now and I still find it odd that when a voicemail is left Fido sends out a text message (18) to the cell phone rather than having the cell phone activate the voicemail icon built into the phone. What's the reasoning behind this?

Accepted Solution

Re: Voicemail Text Notification

Hey @ChicoQuente!

Thanks for posting Smiley

We'd love to help out with this, and I'd love to clarify what's going on!

All our newer plans come with mini voicemail. This option allows you to save and have up to 3 messages in your voicemail inbox. It's not a visual voicemail so the little indicator for a voicemail will not pop up as you need to call in and listen to the messages. To let you know you have a new voicemail, we send you a text message to notify you. 

If you wanted to benefit from the visual voicemail feature that your iPhone offers, we do offer that option as well! You can add our $7 value pack and enhance your plan with awesome features including visual voicemail for iPhone! The value pack will give you:

- Name Display (to add on to your regular call display)

- Premium Voicemail-To-Text with 35 voice messages  or iPhone visual voicemail

- US & International Premium Calling Rate to mobile and landline phones (just 1 cent a minute to the US, and other countries start at 2 cents per minute!) detailed rates can be found here :

- WhoCalled

- 2,500 Call Forwarding Minutes

If you'd like us to add this option for you, you can contact us through any method found here or let us know and we can send you a PM right here on the community!

I hope this clears it all up and that this info was helpful Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 53
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @gcrmt!

The notification system depends on your plan and voicemail option. Our voicemail & packages have changed over the years, and not all of them have the same notification system.

Hope this helps. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 53
MVP
MVP

@gcrmt wrote:
This is something that I've always been puzzled about. Been with Fido for nearly 12years now and I still find it odd that when a voicemail is left Fido sends out a text message (18) to the cell phone rather than having the cell phone activate the voicemail icon built into the phone. What's the reasoning behind this?

Hello Gcrmt,

What text message are you referring to? Are you referring to a text saying 'Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent' or a MMS with the option to download a transcript of the voicemail?

Prior to the voicemail-to-text system, standard voicemail used a system where so-called secret SMS were sent to the device to trigger the notification indicator. It worked great with less-smart phones. Somewhere along the line, as phones became smartphones, they started misinterpreting the secret SMS, reading the 'Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent' as texts.

As more people got smartphones, they also wanted a better way of viewing their voicemail, hence Visual Voicemail. I think it started with Apple, but Fido used to have a Visual Voicemail app as well. However, it was plagued with problems so it was abandoned. One of the issues was that visual voicemail notification required a data connection. If data wasn't turned on, there would be no notification of new voicemail. The voicemail-to-text system solved that issue. Even if data is not turned on, the phone would receive a text indicating there was voicemail and you could turn on data to download a transcript of the voicemail.

Additionally, the voicemail-to-text is compatible with all devices whereas apps could be limited by OS configurations. Even with the same version of android, each phone manufacturer integrates and implements it with their own systems. It's easier for Apple maintain their Visual Voicemail app because each iPhone would use an unadulterated iOS.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 53
I'm a Contributor Level 2 gcrmt
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@Cawtau wrote:

@gcrmt wrote:

Hello Gcrmt,

What text message are you referring to? Are you referring to a text saying 'Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent' or a MMS with the option to download a transcript of the voicemail?

Prior to the voicemail-to-text system, standard voicemail used a system where so-called secret SMS were sent to the device to trigger the notification indicator. It worked great with less-smart phones. Somewhere along the line, as phones became smartphones, they started misinterpreting the secret SMS, reading the 'Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent' as texts.

As more people got smartphones, they also wanted a better way of viewing their voicemail, hence Visual Voicemail. I think it started with Apple, but Fido used to have a Visual Voicemail app as well. However, it was plagued with problems so it was abandoned. One of the issues was that visual voicemail notification required a data connection. If data wasn't turned on, there would be no notification of new voicemail. The voicemail-to-text system solved that issue. Even if data is not turned on, the phone would receive a text indicating there was voicemail and you could turn on data to download a transcript of the voicemail.

Additionally, the voicemail-to-text is compatible with all devices whereas apps could be limited by OS configurations. Even with the same version of android, each phone manufacturer integrates and implements it with their own systems. It's easier for Apple maintain their Visual Voicemail app because each iPhone would use an unadulterated iOS.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

I'm referring to the text message (SMS) as you rightly stated: Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent

Other carriers send a message to the phone that activates the voicemail icon whereas Fido AFAIK has always used the SMS text message.  I have always received my VM notifications as a SMS text message sent from '18'

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 53
MVP
MVP

@gcrmt wrote:

I'm referring to the text message (SMS) as you rightly stated: Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent

Other carriers send a message to the phone that activates the voicemail icon whereas Fido AFAIK has always used the SMS text message.  I have always received my VM notifications as a SMS text message sent from '18'

Hello again,

That SMS would be the secret SMS that is getting misinterpreted by the phones.

Out of curiosity, what other carriers are you referring to? As far as I am aware, many other carriers have this same issue: Bell, Wind, Verizon, etc. In fact, the only carrier that I am aware of who doesn't seem to have this issue is Telus (out West). Apparently, Telus customers East of the Manitoba/Ontario border also experience this issue because they use the Bell network. That said, I'm not sure if it would still hold true since I believe Telus recently updated their voicemail system.

Also, it seems to be phone dependent. Blackberry users have noted that they have always received those texts, regardless of network. On the other hand, it seems to be a more recent issue for some Android users. Some phones are able to intercept the SMS. For instance, the Apple OS actively filters those secret SMSs from their messaging inbox.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 53
I'm a Participant Level 2 mirkokojotovski
I'm a Participant Level 2

I am having similar issues with "Cassette tape icon" not showing when I receive new VM (uper left corner of the screen). I have lg g4, Android 6.0. I do get sms message stating that there is a new voicemail, but that is something that is easily missed, especialy if I get multiple sms messages daily (which is the case). I tried using ROGERS sim with my LG G4, and that funcionality is there. I do see "Cassette tape" with ROGERS SIM.

My voicemail was reset by FIDO, they even replaced my SIM card with new one - no avail.

I went to FIDO store and tried different (FIDO) android phone and it still does not work.

Phone is unlocked (originaly ROGERS) and according to TELUS techs, that is the reason this functionality does not work.

Not verry happy with the fact that Fido is using that card: Not original FIDO phone, cannot support it. They suggested that I purchase new phone from them??!?!?  Another suggestion was to call LG and deal with them. Anyone out there with FIDO LG G4 phone? Do you get "cassette tape icon" if there if you have a VM?

Not very professional way to deal with the clients. Everyting points to FIDO network issue, but they will not own it...

I am contemplating taking my 3 lines somwhere else, not happy...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 53

Hey @mirkokojotovski and thank you for using the Community.

Sorry to see you have all that trouble with your phone.

And we certainly don't want to lose you as a customer.

When it's an unlocked device like you mentionned, there are certain features that might not work properly on your device.

This might be the reason this happens with your voicemail notification.

I would be happy to go over your account to see what can be done. I'm sending you a PM now to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 53
I'm a Participant Level 2 mirkokojotovski

thank you for your reply.

I would agree with you if that same functionality was working when I tried it in the store.

As I mentioned in my original post, I've went to your Rideu Ctr store (Ottawa) and ask them to try. Guys were very helpful and they let me use my card in one of the phones in the store. It did not work. As much as I am concerned, that completely removes your reasoning. 5 min ago I tried using my father's VIRGIN SIM and it did work. "Cassette tape" icon is there if ROGERS and VIRGIN SIM is used. 

I am wondering if you have an access to FIDO Android device? does it works for you? It is simple test. I hope I'm not asking too much. 

Once more, thatnk you for your reply.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 53

I received your PM.

Talk to you soon Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 53
I'm a Participant Level 2 princeaha

Hi @FidoKenny, I'm having the same issue. Is there a resolution? I have a OnePlus One
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 53