Unusual Data Usage on my cell phone

I'm a Participant Level 2 dgalligan
I'm a Participant Level 2

Unusual Data Usage on my cell phone

Hello,

I've been a Fido customer for over 10 years. I have a 6GB plan, which I have not gone over until last month. I got a message saying I'd gone over my limit.

The strange part about it is that I use the same apps each day - Google Maps, Email, Text, etc. No games or heavy data usage. No video watching etc. 

I had one day had a 4GB usage, and another day that had 2GB. Yet the rest of the week that I used the phone, my usage averaged between 35 and 80MB with the same apps. For the high usage days, I was at work and use the phone only for Google Maps and Gmail. 

I called Fido and talked to a very helpful woman, but there's no info about when I used this data and I'm concerned about the sudden and unusal spike in data use. It's never happened to me before and strikes me as strange.

Is there any remedy to figuring this out?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unusual Data Usage on my cell phone

Hey @dgalligan,

Welcome to the Fido Community!

I definitely understand how important it is for you to stay on top on your data usage and avoid any surprises on your bill. We wouldn't want you to be in any such situation either. Smiley

What you described does sound odd, but at the same time, your usage is detected through the Fido SIM card in your device. Do you close the applications running in the background?

We won't have any information on which applications were used on our end due to privacy reasons, however, we can only see how much of data was used on different days of your billing cycle. This information would also appear on your invoice once published. 

Can you also provide the following information:

• Which device are you using? 
  • Do you monitor your usage through the Fido application? If so, which version of the application do you have?

I'd also suggest you read this on how to minimize your usage. This might help you too.

Let me know.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Solution

Hey @dgalligan,

Welcome to the Fido Community!

I definitely understand how important it is for you to stay on top on your data usage and avoid any surprises on your bill. We wouldn't want you to be in any such situation either. Smiley

What you described does sound odd, but at the same time, your usage is detected through the Fido SIM card in your device. Do you close the applications running in the background?

We won't have any information on which applications were used on our end due to privacy reasons, however, we can only see how much of data was used on different days of your billing cycle. This information would also appear on your invoice once published. 

Can you also provide the following information:

• Which device are you using? 
  • Do you monitor your usage through the Fido application? If so, which version of the application do you have?

I'd also suggest you read this on how to minimize your usage. This might help you too.

Let me know.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
I'm a Participant Level 2 dgalligan
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello!

I'm careful about my data - none of my apps have background app refresh on unless I'm using them and I don't leave anything running. I don't use Wifi Assist. 

Thanks for the speedy answer. I'm using an iPhone 6S. I looked through the link on minimizing data and my phone settings match all the things described.

I've just installed the Fido app so I'll track it now. I've never needed it before since this is the first time I've gone over my data in my many years at Fido. Seems strange that I've never gone over and suddenly, I used 6GB of data in only two days, then 2GB for the rest of the month. 

Diana

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4

Don't forget that you can actually check how much data every one of your apps are using under your device's data settings.

While, on iOS devices, this data does not reset with your billing cycle (it has to be manually reset), this info will still give you a better idea as to what happened and where your data was used. 

Is this something you've checked?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4