cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFA forced upon me, SMS verification not working

Confusedhere
I'm a contributor level 3

Two factor or multifactor verification (whatever you want to call it) was recently forced upon me. There's no way to opt-out. If choose to disable I can't access my account.

Only email verification works. I tried different SMS numbers including VOIP. Not one verification code came through after trying my primary mobile number failed to receive the text. 

8 REPLIES 8

nicoH
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

It s 2024 and this is still an issue. 

Each time I need Fido to authenticate me using MFA/2FA , they fail sending me a code using SMS (email works).

I am able to receive SMS and any other MFA work ( bank, government, ...). 

Only FIDO is not able to send me text,,, on their own carrier ... That is the most beautiful Irony I have seen ... Also pretty sad and embarrasing. 

I tried to reinstall fido app, but the MFA is not tied to the app anyway.

I tried to edit my MFA settings, but we are not allowed to disable it ... 😕 

What to do ? 

Hi there @Confusedhere , if I understand correctly, you receive the 2FA code or permission to your email address and that works. What doesn't work is when you are signing into the app and you want the 2FA to go to your mobile by sms. If that's correct,  the code going to your device that you are signing in with, wouldn't be that secure if someone else had your device. I have all my 2FA come to my email so that I can confirm that it's indeed me accessing the account. We all have different ways of doing things and if it works by going to your email, is it difficult for you to retrieve it from your device? Perhaps if you call *611 from your device and ask for technical support, someone might be able to assist you in setting up your sms for verification. 

Confusedhere

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for replying.

Let' me be clear. I work for a major government telecoms department/organization. I'm quite proficient and experienced in all aspects of mobile security, communication, and networking.

I don't need a "lesson" on 2FA. In fact, I know more about this and the industry than you do. This issue is beyond your scope and understanding.  Your false assumptions, lack of fact finding, sophistic, gaslit, and generic response  was unhelpful to me.  If you're employed by Fido/Rogers, I'm calling you out and saying it was unprofessional.

My post serves only as PSA for others who may be experiencing this [new] problem:  2FA doesn't function with non-Fido mobile numbers after it was made mandatory. Full stop. 

Hey @Confusedhere,

Thank you for your message on the community. 

You're right, Only Fido wireless phone numbers can be set up as a 2FA.

All MFA-enabled accounts must enable MFA on 1 authentication method: email or phone number.

In your case, if you don't have a Fido wireless number, your email address would be an option.

There's a way to disable MFA for Fido MyAccount.

To enable or disable MFA, follow these steps:

1. Select the Update MFA Settings button in your MyAccount Profile
  2. Use the toggle On/Off button to enable or disable MFA
  3. Click Save changes button to save the changes
  4. To discard changes, click the X on top right corner.

To clarify, @Original_Lucy isn't a Fido/Rogers employee, but an MVP who helps other community members with their questions. You can read more about it here.

With that being said, we take pride in keeping our community courteous and helpful for everyone!

Hope this helps.

Confusedhere

Lucy, thank you. The info above allowed me to change my 2FA from my Fido tablet/data plan to an actual mobile number. For whatever reason, Fido 2FA is not coming through to tablets or those who are using the Fido SIM as a data only SIM. Again, it worked up until recently. 

Lucylucy
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

To enable or disable MFA, follow these steps:

1. Select the Update MFA Settings button in your MyAccount Profile
  2. Use the toggle On/Off button to enable or disable MFA
  3. Click Save changes button to save the changes
  4. To discard changes, click the X on top right corner.

Problem is, it doesn't stick. The next time I log in, it forces me to accept "MFA" without an option to bypass. I will then have to manually toggle it off every time. This is not acceptable as I have 4 lines under one accounts. Each line should be able to login individually to activate line features!

softech
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

I have the same issue. Next time login, it pop up again and there is no way to get pass the screen without enabling it

So, everytime, I hvae to enable it to get pass the screen. Then i have to go back to My Account to disable it. VERY ANNOYING!!!

Confusedhere

I don't know where Rogers/Fido web developers are educated and obtain their "industry best practices".

Today, I encountered an issue with my account access and had to go through two 2FA steps, one of which required my data/tablet. In the first stage, a code was sent to my email address.  

After I entered the site, I navigated through the frustrating maze of trying to change my billing address. I finally found out where. I then was prompted to enter a code sent to my tablet device.  The code was never received despite it being received many times in the past on the same plan, same account, same device (nothing changed).  I performed all the troubleshooting steps and more, but nothing. 

When I tried to use the chat feature to talk to a human representative, I was blocked by endless captchas. This was very frustrating and unnecessary for "security".

I have many issues with Rogers/Fido including the amount of personal information that Rogers/Fido asks for from customers, such as SIN, passport numbers, DL, and more. 

Too many corporations are tone-deaf.  The CEOs don't know any better and are rarely ever proactive. Remember how SIM and porting scammers were targeting Rogers/Fido primarily because all they needed to know what the customer's DOB, address, postal code, and maybe account number? All of which are easily obtainable by stealing mail.  When they get breached, they justify their lack of proactiveness and say they've done everything they could and have "learned from our mistakes.

The fact is, data breaches will affect everyone at some point. Corporations retain too much information, and they are misguided in believing inconveniencing their customers is worth it, when they're not the problem. It's their IT head, they are overconfident.   It's also scary (for me) since I have on good info Rogers/Fido retains private information like SIN and more on their servers indefinitely.