Sms to email scam

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Sms to email scam

HI: I recieved a text today saying that it was from Fido adn that I had mail. If I wanted to have this forwarded to me through SMS I needed to reply yes to the text. I stupidly did so and now realize that it was a scam. I have blocked the number on my phone but is there anything else I should do?  The number it came from was 305-050-01.

Accepted Solution

Re: Sms to email scam

Hello CQ2,

Welcome to the community!

I do not believe that particular text message you received was a scam. Fido does (or at least did) provide a service whereby emails sent to your phone's email address (ie phonenumber@fido.ca) were forwarded to your phone via SMS. Those text messages were sent from short codes starting with 305 (ie 305XXXXX). Your phone might mistaken 305 as an area or country code. You can get more information about the service here.

That said, it's possible that the email sent to your phone's email address was SPAM.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello CQ2,

Welcome to the community!

I do not believe that particular text message you received was a scam. Fido does (or at least did) provide a service whereby emails sent to your phone's email address (ie phonenumber@fido.ca) were forwarded to your phone via SMS. Those text messages were sent from short codes starting with 305 (ie 305XXXXX). Your phone might mistaken 305 as an area or country code. You can get more information about the service here.

That said, it's possible that the email sent to your phone's email address was SPAM.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted

Welcome to the Community @CQ2!

@Cawtau is correct! That text does seem to be for our e-mail to text service and not a scam text!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi,

I have received 3 of same message each day for the past two days about email

and to tap yes. Confusing and annoying. No way I'm going to do that given the situation.

-Marlene

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted

Hey @1075GS

Do you have more details about the emails that was sent to you? Our Accepted Solution also provides tips for this kind of spam. 

Let the community know and we'll help. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted

Hi! Sure...

"Welcome to Fido Email to SMS.
You have mail, but are not subscribed; reply 'Yes' to this message to subscribe.
(Envoyer Oui pour abonnement en francais)"

I got that four times in two days.

Made me cautious.

-Marlene

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted

Hey @CQ2! Philippe here.

Thnaks for providing that!

Would it be posible for you to send us a screenshot of what you received please? We'd like to take a closer look. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7