cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sms to email scam

CQ2
I'm a participant level 1

HI: I recieved a text today saying that it was from Fido adn that I had mail. If I wanted to have this forwarded to me through SMS I needed to reply yes to the text. I stupidly did so and now realize that it was a scam. I have blocked the number on my phone but is there anything else I should do?  The number it came from was 305-050-01.

10 REPLIES 10

Neo_12

Don't listen to these so called "moderators", these guys are scammers that prod around these Fido forum pages constantly to give false information. None of them actually work for Fido. I also received this message from the same number (30505001), and I complied with it just to test it out, I texted "Yes", and it then replied with "Welcome to Fido Email to SMS". Shortly after, like 5 min later, another message from 30505002 came to me, and it led to one of those classic Fido Refund Interac Payment scam pages, so it's definitely a scam. When a message contains the words "You've probably", which was the very first message I got from that number, then safe to say it is a scam message from some pathetic uneducated dummy in India or Africa. The bad and unsure grammar gives them away. The only texts that you actually get from Fido services is from Fido themselves, it will say Fido at the top of the message or the number 222 (Canada). 222 is Fido's plans/data warning number.

Hello Neo_12,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, you seem to be the one providing false information. You are, however, correct in that many of us do not work for Fido. This is the Community Forum and is therefore community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. That said, the moderators of the forum (identified by MOD or Moderator) do work for Fido.

While you might also be correct in that the email you received was a SCAM or SPAM email, you are mistaken in thinking that the Email-to-Text service, itself, is the SCAM. When someone sends an email to your phone number's email address (ie phonenumber@fido.ca), Fido offers the service to forward that email as SMS. As noted in the solution below, the short-codes for that service start with 305 (ie 305XXXXX), just like the ones you received.

However, the contents of any forwarded email may be legitimate or fraudulent. In your case, the email was a SCAM, not the Email-to-Text service.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoPhilippe

Hey @CQ2! Philippe here.

Thnaks for providing that!

Would it be posible for you to send us a screenshot of what you received please? We'd like to take a closer look. Smiley

Kevin8675309
I'm a participant level 2

I'm having the same message .. can you confirm if it's legit?  I had read that you should response with "Read" but when I did it only acccepts "Yes" or "No". 

1241C7A2-BB1C-4D79-9821-DE6A1796F424.png

 

Hi @Kevin8675309

The text is indeed from Fido and you can reply with a Yes or No. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the Community @CQ2!

@Cawtau is correct! That text does seem to be for our e-mail to text service and not a scam text!

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello CQ2,

Welcome to the community!

I do not believe that particular text message you received was a scam. Fido does (or at least did) provide a service whereby emails sent to your phone's email address (ie phonenumber@fido.ca) were forwarded to your phone via SMS. Those text messages were sent from short codes starting with 305 (ie 305XXXXX). Your phone might mistaken 305 as an area or country code. You can get more information about the service here.

That said, it's possible that the email sent to your phone's email address was SPAM.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

1075GS

Hi,

I have received 3 of same message each day for the past two days about email

and to tap yes. Confusing and annoying. No way I'm going to do that given the situation.

-Marlene

Hey @1075GS

Do you have more details about the emails that was sent to you? Our Accepted Solution also provides tips for this kind of spam. 

Let the community know and we'll help. Smiley

1075GS

Hi! Sure...

"Welcome to Fido Email to SMS.
You have mail, but are not subscribed; reply 'Yes' to this message to subscribe.
(Envoyer Oui pour abonnement en francais)"

I got that four times in two days.

Made me cautious.

-Marlene