Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming questions

hbaig073
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi everyone,

I just had a couple of questions regarding roaming charges. I am in Pakistan.

I have turned off my cellular data and data roaming manually in my phone. My phone is almost always connected to Wi-Fi except if it turns off due to power outages, but I hope me turning off the data means that's the end of it, period.

Now, do I get charged if I:

a) receive a call that i do not pick up

b) same as A, but that it goes to Voicemail

c) same as B, but now I check the voicemail

d) receive a text (i know i get charged for MMS)

I obviously know that making and accepting a call or sending/replying to a text will have the $14 charge incurred on me for the calendar day. I have to have my phone on for my office (but they are not remibursing the roaming charge) - its not too busy right now, so if there is an odd call here or there that I feel i can let go without answering and save $14 for a day, i'd like to do so.

TIA!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hbaig073,

Welcome to the community!

As you note, the Fido Roam charge is incurred when there is usage on your SIM (make/receive calls, send SMS/MMS, and use data).while connected to a foreign network. You should note that disabling data and/or roaming data does not prevent roaming charges for calls and/or SMS.

@hbaig073 wrote:...

Now, do I get charged if I:

a) receive a call that i do not pick up    Does not incur Fido Roam charge

b) same as A, but that it goes to Voicemail    Does not incur Fido Roam charge

c) same as B, but now I check the voicemail   Does incur Fido Roam charge

d) receive a text (i know i get charged for MMS)  Receiving SMS does not incur Fido Roam charge; downloading associated data within MMS does incur Fido Roam charge

You should note that data within MMS does not transfer via Wifi (unless Wifi-calling). If you send/receive MMS and you happen to enable data, it will incur the roaming charge, even though you might be connected to Wifi.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers