cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Fido Roam - PAY PER USE RATES

findkendwa
I'm a participant level 3

I understand that you camn opt in to Fido Roam when abroad (for $15 / day) OR you can just use pay per use.  If I turn on my phone JUST to check my  text messages (no outgoing calls, no outgoing texts,  or using my ophone in any other way) how is this charged?  I see your pay per use fees are $3.00/ min per call, 0.75 cents per text and $9.99 for 10 mb of data.  Are you immediately charged the data fee if you open the phone to see your texts? How are you chraged for INCOMING TEXTS (assuming I have my phone on airplane mode when not checking for texts).

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Findkendwa,

@findkendwa wrote:

I understand that you camn opt in to Fido Roam when abroad (for $15 / day) OR you can just use pay per use.  ...

Firstly to clarify, Fido Roam is already enabled on applicable post-paid plans. If you wanted to roam on a pay-per-use basis, you would need to opt-out of Fido Roam.

As mentioned in my previous reply here,

@Cawtau wrote:

...While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS...

If the text message you receive is strictly SMS, there would be no charge for receiving it. However, if the message was a MMS, you will likely incur the pay-per-use roaming data charge.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

findkendwa

Thank you that is very helpful - so here is my question - is there a way to DISABLE MMS on your phone in order to not get roaming charges? Do you just need to turn cellular to "off"  on your iphone??

Hello again,

That could depend on the settings in your device. At least for Samsung devices, there is the setting to automatically download MMS. As mentioned in your other thread, disabling that setting should allow you to receive SMS without downloading MMS. As far as I am aware, you should still be able to disable MMS on iPhones by following these instructions.

Since you have an iPhone, you should note that iMessages sent or received would be considered data (unless connected to Wifi). As well, there have been some instances where iPhones have connected to networks to use small amounts of data, despite data and roaming data settings disabled. That data usage would be considered roaming data even though you might not have intended on its usage.

In order to prevent roaming, it is still recommended to enable Airplane or Flight mode on your device. You can then manually enable Wifi when required. However, since a device is not able to connect to the networks with those modes enabled, you will not be able to receive text messages over the cellular networks. If your device and plan is supported for Wifi-calling, you could possibly receive them when connected to Wifi.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers