cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about roaming

BhushanM
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am going out of Canada for a few months. I do not wish to activate roaming on my Fido number but want to keep the number active so when I come back I can use the same number. How can I do it? If I remove the sim card from the phone and kept on paying the monthly bill regularly, will it keep the number active?

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello BhushanM,

Welcome to the community!

Your phone number will be kept active for as long as you don't cancel your services (or your services get cancelled for breach of agreement (see Terms of Service; Sections 2h,i. Though, if you are only travelling for a couple of months, you would unlikely be in breach any agreement).

If you did not wish to use your Fido services abroad, you could remove the SIM card. As you note, you would still be responsible for the monthly bill payments. It should be mentioned that the SIM cards can easily get lost. If you did happen to lose your SIM card, you would need to purchase a new one when you return. Once the information on your account is updated with the new SIM card information, you would still have your current phone number.

You should note that Fido does offer a temporary suspension of services for a reduced fee on eligible lines. I believe that option is available for 2 to 12 months. If you're eligible for the temporary suspension, you would need to contact customer service to have it set up. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers