Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returned Payment - disagree

worldomonation
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

I recently received a returned payment charge on my bill.

There were 5 attempts by Fido to charge my credit card via pre-authorized payment, yet not once did my e-mail (tied to the account) receive a notification.

I did pay the amount in full upon logging in to my account out of the blue, yet I am still assessed a returned payment charge in addition to late fee.

Given that Fido seems to be going the route of discount carriers while not offering discount rates, I am not even able to call without possibly being dinged $10.

I am requesting the cancellation or refund of the returned payment charge, as I disagree with the way this was done - without notifying the customer.

13 REPLIES 13

muhumuzaamb

I'm just learning that Fido charge me $50 for a returned payment and also $5 for a late payment. I'm totally shocked they can do that to their customers. They trick you into setting up automatic payments waiting until it fails and they charge you $55. I don't even have a job! 

Hey @muhumuzaamb,

We're sorry to hear you feel that way. We don't want our customers to think they're tricked. 

When signing up for pre-authorized payments, we do provide the date that the payment will be taken, therefore it's important our customers make sure everything is well for the payment and/or that there's enough funds to make the payment. 

The late payment fee is only applied when there's been a delay with a payment, after the payment due date.

With that said, if you need any help with your account, please contact us here and we'll be happy to help.

obee1017
I'm a participant level 2

Same here my credit card expired during my vacation, my automatic payments didn’t go thur got charge $25 , I am waiting my contract to end and switch, I am with Fido for almost 20 years , non of the companies out there charge $25 fees , they will only charge interest or late payment fees , which Fido did as well on top of the $25! 

At least send me an email or text me my payments didn’t go though, I didn’t notice until I sign in to my account :pouting_face::pouting_face::pouting_face::pouting_face::pouting_face:

RIP OFF

Hey @obee1017

Thank you for your feedback. It's unfortunate that you feel this way about us. Our goal is to be absolutely transparent with you. We understand that an unwanted charge is never something pleasant. However, the responsibility lies with the customer to make sure their payment is made on time or there are sufficient funds to cover the payment. We do not send notifications for that.

After 3 failed attempts, the returned payment fee applies.

kothamanish
I'm a participant level 3

Yes,We do agree responsibility is there with us to pay but how come you charge $25 for not returned transactions and not notify us when a failed transaction happened? I just thought the transaction would have gone through as I am on automatic payment. This happened once before in January but I didn't got asked for extra money. But whatever, is FIDO really trying to earn extra money from us by not sending any warning emails? Is this the charity you are offering to customers who are financially facing problems during COVID?

Hey @kothamanish! Philippe here. I hope you're doing well. Smiley

It is your responsibility t make sure payments can be made on time every month through the pre-authorized method. We also only charge this fee on the 3rd retry, 14 days after the initial attempt.

That said, we can certainly take a look at your options. You can reach us here to get started

Hey @kothamanish

Welcome to the Community Smiley

I can definitely understand receiving a returned payment charge is disappointing. However, when signing up for preauthorized payments, we mention when the payment will be taken so it is important that, as of that date, people make sure that we will be able to take the payment.

kothamanish

But, I didn't know how that I will be charged as it's not mentioned when I was registered for automatic payments. Also, no emails for failed transactions. Do you expect everyone to go through entire company's website after registering for FIDO to find the regulations? If possible please try to remove the charge of $25 on me. 

june87vn

I just cancel my lines with them due to this problem also. This is like a scam.

Jongwoon

It was the best decision for you. I am going to cancel my line as well. During the covid-19, Fido app is not working well and my banking information was gone.

As I used pre-authorization cheque , they took my money from my bank account. When I checked my payment for March, I found out that they did not take my money. So, I used my credit card to pay my bill just one time, but they charged me $25 for the returned payment. Why they do not get rid of pre authorization credit card option in order to prevent things like this. I felt very offended.  I do not want to continue my fido plan any more. It is a scam..

Hello @Jongwoon,

Welcome to the community!

Had you requested your pre-authorized credit card to be removed from your account? 

We're available to help you with your if you need, simply contact us using these methods

Hey @june87vn

I'm sad to learn that you cancelled your lines.  However, the returned payment fee is a valid charge that applies after three attempts to take a preauthorized payment on your account fail.  This charge is not refundable.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Worldomonation,

Welcome to the community!

@worldomonation wrote:..I am not even able to call without possibly being dinged $10....

That new charge is only applicable on certain transactions which can be done by ourselves:

As of May 14th 2019, when a customer service representative performs a transaction on your behalf a small fee is applied for select transactions available on Fido MyAccount self-serve.

Transactions performed over the phone, via live chat, or social media support may be affected.

Impacted transactions:

• Making a payment
  • Updating method of payment
  • Updated contact information (email, phone)
  • Changing billing language
  • Resetting Voice Messaging password
  • Changing Name Display for Call Display
  • Changing billing address

~ Taken from here.

Disputing a charge is not on that list. You would need to contact customer service in order for them to go over your account. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. That said, you may get charged if you also ask them to update your method of payment.

The problem with all of the articles and social media reports regarding the charge is that most of them didn't provide full details.

Hope this helps Grinning Face

Cheers