Long Distance Charges Disputes

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Long Distance Charges Disputes

I have been with for FIDO for more than 15 years now and having 3 phone lines in use under the account.

I have been a very happy FIDO customer UNTIL the email I received yesterday night.....

As a perk for the 2nd phone line, FIDO gave me an 1000 international minutes "free" per month for the phone line.

While I don't aware or remember the perk ending in Feb 2020, I have used 232 international minutes for last month. As a result, FIDO charged me with the rate of $0.95 a minutes. It jacked my bill with an additional $220.40 for the month. While FIDO have international package with $5 a month which charge $0.03 a minutes for international. In summary, after the perk ended the rate they charged was 32 times higher.

I understand that perk may end and I called the customer service hotline but they say they cannot adopt the package rate (i.e. $5 + $0.03/minute) for Feb-Mar 2020 biling cycle and the agents insisted that I have to pay $0.95 per minute for past month, even for a loyal customer which having 3 active lines.

I hope someone can tell me how a long term loyal customer will be heard by FIDO. All I ask is adopting a fair rate for the month. I hope an answer and resolution will arrive soon before my wife knows about the bill 😅.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted

Re: Long Distance Charges Disputes

Hello @EYIW,

Welcome to the community!

Whenever any bonus feature or add-ons are coming to an end Fido always notifies us on our invoice of the end date 30-90 days before the end date.

If you get the preferred calling rate add-on now it will only work for calls going forward you can not have it applied to calls already made. 

I know this is not the answer you will be looking to hear but If you made the calls then the charges are valid and you will have to pay the bill.

If you are unable to pay the bill at once you can reach out to customer service and ask to set up a payment plan option to give you time to pay it off in smaller amounts.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted

Now I have a chance to read the original contract. it never mentioned the 1000 minutes free international call feature has an expiry date. So, I think I would look deeper to see why it got changed without my notice.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 11
Highlighted

Now I have a chance to read the original contract. The contract never mentioned the 1000 minutes free international call feature has an expiry date. So, I think I would look deeper to see why it got changed without my notice.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello EYIW,

Welcome to the community!

Is that line still under contract? Were you subsidising a device? I believe most of the 1000 International minutes offers were promotional and usually provided for 24 months (as in current offer on Fido.ca). If your contract has ended, the 1000 International minutes would also have ended. While Fido generally allows their customers to keep grandfathered plans (on a month-to-month basis), promotions and discounts are not necessarily carried over in the same manner.

@EYIW wrote:...I understand that perk may end and I called the customer service hotline but they say they cannot adopt the package rate (i.e. $5 + $0.03/minute) for Feb-Mar 2020 biling cycle...

Unfortunately, once the billing cycle has ended, they are unable to retrospectively make changes to your plans.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi EYIW
We just experienced this with our current plan, nowhere in our contract does it mention the 1000 free international minutes is limited to 24 months.
Especially in this current global crisis that is currently happening when calling family and friends internationally to keep in touch is so important.
Incredibly disappointed.
Have you heard anything else from Fido regarding this issue?
I will try and call them later today.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted

Please dig your original contract and the "terms and conditions " booklet they gave you. Both items should give you leverage to discuss with them.

some notes:

1) no expiration for the 1000 INT,L minutes was mentioned in my contract

2) in 2b of T&C, it says " At the end of the term for our terms service , the term serviceto  will automatically become a month to month service and you will keep your existing service and agreement with us unchanged until they are change or cancel in accordance with the terms.

3) 2c mentions that they will EXPLAIN the change and when it will take effect. ( in my case , they didn't explain beside four words small print as "end Feb XX 2020".

Good luck!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 11
Highlighted

Hey @EYIW and @pea2!

Just wanted to jump in that the 1000 minute promotion, does have an expiry date. In the past, it's generally been a 24 month promotion. We do warn you in the prior invoices before the discount ends.

That said, keep in mind this is a promotion, it's not part of your price plan, so it can end at any moment and this is aligned with our terms.

I hope that helps! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2
I'm a Participant Level 2

I thought, I'm the only one to get harrased, untill I read this thread. 

I'm on a 50$ monthly plan with 1000$ long distance calls included. Today I got a SMS stating my outstanding amount is 2412$, and that's when I checked MyAccount and got to know that this promotion of 1000 min expired in Feb 2020 after having an  hour call with customer care.

I have raised a complaint to ccts today and hoping to hear from them.

But this is really disappointing and breach of trust, by not sending the customer emails/text about the expiry of the offer... Well you can't just give an excuse by mentioning 6 letters in the 10-12 page bill, that you notified the customer in advance. I'm not sure if this is the business model being followed at Fido in today's competitive world.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted

Hey @Saum

We can understand that it can be a surprising situation to receive a bill that is higher than expected. I would like to take a closer look into this with you. 

I'll send you a PM so we can check it out together. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 11