cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Charges Disputes

EYIW
I'm a participant level 3

I have been with for FIDO for more than 15 years now and having 3 phone lines in use under the account.

I have been a very happy FIDO customer UNTIL the email I received yesterday night.....

As a perk for the 2nd phone line, FIDO gave me an 1000 international minutes "free" per month for the phone line.

While I don't aware or remember the perk ending in Feb 2020, I have used 232 international minutes for last month. As a result, FIDO charged me with the rate of $0.95 a minutes. It jacked my bill with an additional $220.40 for the month. While FIDO have international package with $5 a month which charge $0.03 a minutes for international. In summary, after the perk ended the rate they charged was 32 times higher.

I understand that perk may end and I called the customer service hotline but they say they cannot adopt the package rate (i.e. $5 + $0.03/minute) for Feb-Mar 2020 biling cycle and the agents insisted that I have to pay $0.95 per minute for past month, even for a loyal customer which having 3 active lines.

I hope someone can tell me how a long term loyal customer will be heard by FIDO. All I ask is adopting a fair rate for the month. I hope an answer and resolution will arrive soon before my wife knows about the bill 😅.

26 REPLIES 26

bharatdodeja

I have the same issue. Charged for $742 for 495 mins. Nowhere it was mentioned in my plan or agreement that it will end after 24 months. 

Please suggest where to raise the despute. Because the customer care says go to store and get it resolved. I am sure store guys will say, go to customer care and get it resolved.

Did https://www.ccts-cprst.ca help anyone?

Naureenz
I'm a participant level 1

Same happened to me . My neice called me from back home .That was missed call . I was at work at that time .later on I called her from WhatsApp. When I received bill, fido charged me extra bill . I request Fido Please stop scamming 

Hi @Naureenz,

Welcome to the Community!

You definitely shouldn't be charged for WhatsApp calls as they aren't at all related to usage made from your phone number. I strongly recommend you go over your usage to make sure the call was indeed made using WhatsApp. 

Feel free to contact us over these methods if you still need help. 

Hello Naureenz,

Welcome to the community!

The issue you've mentioned isn't the fault of the mobile providers. It happens across multiple providers. WhatsApp seems to be the culprit. While it's not mentioned on their website, it appears as though the app will automatically switch to using mobile airtime minutes (within the app) if it deems the internet connection is too slow for voice calls (see here and here). It should also be mentioned that other messaging apps may also behave in a similar manner.

One suggestion would be to enable Airplane or Flight mode and manually enabling Wifi prior to making the call(s). Doing so should prevent the app from switching to mobile services if the Wifi internet connection is not sufficient. However, it also means that you wouldn't be able to make WhatsApp calls using a mobile data connection.

@Naureenz wrote:

... I called her from WhatsApp. When I received bill, fido charged me extra bill . I request Fido Please stop scamming 

Fido isn't trying to scam anyone. Phone companies cannot divert calls from within apps to cellular calls. The mobile providers do not decide which calls go over their networks. That determination is made by the phone. They merely connect calls which the phone request to be made. In your case, it appears as though WhatsApp is made the call over the cellular networks. They only know usage. Unfortunately, WhatsApp connected the call via the cellular networks. Not connecting to the networks (ie Airplane or Flight mode) should prevent that from happening.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Aggisha19
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hey, Same thing happened with me. They didn't notify me once that they removed the add on and I was charged 610$ for one month, and when I tried to ask for help they were like you have to pay the amount otherwise it will impact your credit. It was soo frustrating especially being an international student, I think Fido should be considerate to students who comprise of a majority of their customers. 

ksk1989

Hi Bharat. Was your issue resolved. I have the exact same issue where they charged me additional 350 dollars over my normal bill for 212 minutes. There was no notification or intimation about the end of the international minutes. For fido to say that this is a promotional offer for 24 months and getting away with unscrupulous tactics to make money, it is extremely disrespectful. Were the ccts able to help you with this. 

Hey @ksk1989

Welcome to the Community!

We're sorry to hear about the unwanted charges you have received on your invoice. We certainly do not want any such surprises for our customers. That said, customers are only billed for the usage that is made and validated from their Fido sim card according to the rules and regulations enforced by the CRTC.

It is important to note that we do not provide notifications for airtime usage. However, our customers can monitor their usage 24/7 through their Fido account. How do you manage your usage?

bharatdodeja

Hi @ksk1989 I have raised complaints with CCTS and also posted a tweet about it. https://twitter.com/bharatdodeja/status/1406370730812403713

I hope someone at Fido really cares about their customers and provide help. 

bharatdodeja

I was fortunate enough to get the refund of long distance charges after raising it with CCTS.

I hope this helps. 

Hello @bharatdodeja,

I definitely understand how important it is to be made aware of changed within your account. If your international long-distance add-on expired, it would've been shown on your bill at least one month before the expiry date. Also, if you change plan and your add-on expires, you would receive an e-mail letting your know that it would be taken off your account.

We make sure you're made aware of all changes to make sure no one has any unexpected charges.

Hope this helps! 

bharatdodeja

But in my case, I was not sent an email about add-on expiry. In fact, add on was not supposed to be expired, as per my plan.

I wish what you are saying would have been the reality.

Hey there!

We sent you a private message but never heard from you. Please get back to us in private and we'd be happy to review your account with you.

khouya
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi!

I hope your situation will be resolved.

Hi @bharatdodeja

Let me go ahead and send you a PM. 

Talk soon. 

khouya
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi Smiley

Normally the ccts is to fill a complaint after all things done. The first step to do is to go in the Fido Store., and recontact the customer service. If after your issue is not resolved you can contact the ccts, but you need proof to confirm the steps fido give u doesnt work. You can try to contact Fido first.

Have a nice day Smiley It's been a pleasure to assist you today.

You can mark my answer as the best if you want Smiley gotcha

EYIW

Now I have a chance to read the original contract. it never mentioned the 1000 minutes free international call feature has an expiry date. So, I think I would look deeper to see why it got changed without my notice.

Hello EYIW,

Is that line still under contract? Were you subsidising a device? I believe most of the 1000 International minutes offers were promotional and usually provided for 24 months (as in current offer on Fido.ca). If your contract has ended, the 1000 International minutes would also have ended. While Fido generally allows their customers to keep grandfathered plans (on a month-to-month basis), promotions and discounts are not necessarily carried over in the same manner.

@EYIW wrote:...I understand that perk may end and I called the customer service hotline but they say they cannot adopt the package rate (i.e. $5 + $0.03/minute) for Feb-Mar 2020 biling cycle...

Unfortunately, once the billing cycle has ended, they are unable to retrospectively make changes to your plans.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @EYIW,

Whenever any bonus feature or add-ons are coming to an end Fido always notifies us on our invoice of the end date 30-90 days before the end date.

If you get the preferred calling rate add-on now it will only work for calls going forward you can not have it applied to calls already made. 

I know this is not the answer you will be looking to hear but If you made the calls then the charges are valid and you will have to pay the bill.

If you are unable to pay the bill at once you can reach out to customer service and ask to set up a payment plan option to give you time to pay it off in smaller amounts.

EYIW

Now I have a chance to read the original contract. The contract never mentioned the 1000 minutes free international call feature has an expiry date. So, I think I would look deeper to see why it got changed without my notice.

pea2

Hi EYIW
We just experienced this with our current plan, nowhere in our contract does it mention the 1000 free international minutes is limited to 24 months.
Especially in this current global crisis that is currently happening when calling family and friends internationally to keep in touch is so important.
Incredibly disappointed.
Have you heard anything else from Fido regarding this issue?
I will try and call them later today.