cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid roaming charges

Maggiepen
I'm a participant level 1

I am out of country. How can I be sure of no roaming charges.

My sim card is out of phone now.

30 REPLIES 30

Hey @Gottabmxd26,

Keep in mind when using Fido Roam, you're charged the same amount (based in the country you're visiting) wether you use your device for 1 SMS or 50 SMS. 

The Fido Roam fee is charged not only when you use data, but also when you place or receive a call or send an outgoing text message while outside of Canada, as well as when you access your voicemail. With Fido Roam, you can use your Fido services as if you were back in Canada until 11:59:59 p.m. ET, regardless of the time zone you are roaming in. 

You can find more information here: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/travel

Exactly my point. Nobody should be forced into a full 24hr roaming fee to send one text or necessary phone call.  UNACCEPTABLE

Your reply doesn't offer any value, only serves to further alienate me.  

Bruinsgal

If I have my data turned off can I still text messages using wifi without being charged roaming. My sons who have other plans can. 

Hello Bruinsgal,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify, are your sons using text messaging (SMS) or other messaging services such as iMessage? What phone are you using?

The Fido Roam charge will incur when you use your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad. While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, sending SMS would incur charges. It's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

Depending on your device, disabling data might prevent MMS from being sent or received.

If your sons are using services such as iMessage, that could explain why they are able to send/receive those messages via Wifi. Note, though, if you do not have an iPhone (iMessages), your messages to them would be SMS/MMS and would incur roaming charges. In addition, their messages to your device would also have to be text messages and could likely incur charges for them.

If you have an iPhone as well, you should be able to send/receive iMessages via Wifi.

In order to prevent roaming charges, it is usually recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, it should be noted that disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice or text messaging. It would also be recommended to keep Airplane or Flight modes enabled for the duration of trips. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS or emergency calls. However, people need to know how their devices behave if they intend on keeping their devices available for those services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

NEON2020

Hello Cawtau. You seem to be the right person to ask this, as you seem very knowledgeable...

So just to be clear, if I receive a phone call and DO NOT answer it (and it goes to voicemail, for example), will I be charged roaming? Does receiving a call mean a call that was consensually received or even a harassing phone call from a telemarketer that was made to my number and that I completely ignored? It seems odd that one should be charged roaming for the latter as it is completely outside of the customer's control.

Also, can WIFI calling be made with the phone on airplane mode and/or with cellular data turned off? I'm assuming yes since it is occurring over WIFI, but I just want to be sure.

Thank you for your time!

Hello NEON2020,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, what plan-type do you have? In addition, what phone do you have? You should note some plans (ie Basic Plans) do not allow for roaming. As well, is your travel to the US?

It would be important to note that the US has shut-down their '3G' networks (see here). If your phone and plan are not voice-over-LTE (voLTE) capable, you might not be able to use voice or messaging services. As well, since the US has shut-down those networks, they no longer offer US roaming services for pre-paid plans.

If you have a plan other than the Basic plans or pre-paid, it would already have Fido Roam included. The daily charge for roaming usage in the US is $12 per day and Internationally is $15 per day (see link below). If you did not wish to use Fido Roam, you would need to opt-out of the feature. In doing so, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view those rates here. If you wished to opt-out of Fido Roam, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

The Fido Roam charges will only incur if your phone uses services -- make or receive a call, send a text message or use data abroad. It should be mentioned that while receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, any data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

As far as I am aware, having calls go to voicemail and/or rejecting calls to send them to voicemail should not incur roaming charges (see here). However, checking your voicemail would be considered roaming as one must call the voicemail service. 

In order to prevent unintended roaming charges, it is generally recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, you should note that disabling those settings does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. In addition, some manufacturers might allow some data usage to occur despite those settings (see here). That's why it is also generally recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes in order to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. So yes, Wifi-calling can be used with Airplane mode enabled and cellular data disabled.

It should be noted that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above). 

You might also consider verifying your device is compatible with the networks in your destination locales.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Gottabmxd26
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Your company responses are only serving to alienate your customers even further. Instead of addressing the complaints and offer customers a way OUT of this BS charge, you are just defending your scam which makes it even worse.  Customers may not leave you at the time but we DO remember how we were gauged out of our money.  And we will eventually leave - for sure I have zero loyalty to you, been a loyal customer for many years but the SECOND I get a better offer I'm gone. 

Hello @Gottabmxd26,

We're sorry to hear you feel that way and we wouldn't want to see you go.

You do have the option to Opt-Out of FidoROAM if that is what you prefer, though if you end up using your phone more than you expected while roaming, this can amount to quite a higher charge.

You can reach out via these methods here and we'll be happy to assist. 

Hey @Gottabmxd26! Since you mentioned you took your SIM card out of your phone, no roaming charges can occur.  You may also keep your phone on Airplane mode for that matter. Here is a link about Fido roam that you may want to take a look at: 

Fido Roam FAQ.
You can also contact us via Live Chat or on social media if you do not wish to call us. 
We hope this helps. 

Shouldn't have to call in and spend an hour on the phone to OPT OUT, especially if you're in another country.  That in itself is a barrier, so until you  allow folks to opt out  easily and effortlessly in a  CLEAR and easy way you're still price gouging and ripping your customers off.  FR