cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Rip Off

Elinor1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Since FIDO does not provide full roaming in US ie: no call service, they should state that in the roaming policy and charge less than $12 a day. Complete fraud to charge $12 and provide no service. If the US carriers they use as partners don't provide service, FIDO should know that; warn their customers and lower the price. So unsafe to travel in the US thinking you have cell service and then find out that you can't make or receive calls either within the US or to and from Canada. 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Elinor1,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you were not aware of the '3G' network shut-down in the US (see here). However, had you checked Fido's Travel page before you went to the US?

US travel.jpg

~taken from here.

As shown on the top of that page, Fido does notify customers of the '3G' / HSPA network shutdown in the US. In fact, prior to the actual shutdown, the warning notification was on their main page on Fido.ca.

I understand you feel the roaming option should be cheaper because 'less than full service'. However, Fido does provide access to full roaming services (calling, messaging, and data) in the US. However, customers need to have devices (and plans) which are compatible with voice-over-LTE (voLTE) capability. It has always been the customers' responsibility to ensure their devices are compatible with the networks in their Country of travel. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers