cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido verification code from 650-6

jzhan173
I'm a participant level 1

What are those verification codes for? I think someone was trying to access my account since I have never requested those codes. I just received a SMS from 650-6 with 4 digit code which were called "Your fido verification code".

Thanks.

38 REPLIES 38

georges1231

same here, i received over a week, three veridication codes from this number: 6506

What s happening ? 

thank ou

Flavio76

Same for me, I received a confirmation code from 650-6 yesterday at 1.45 am...

Hey everyone!

We're looking into these codes, we'll update everyone once we have more news Smiley

Cjmw3

It doesn’t appear that the issue has been resolved, I just received a text. Do you have an update on the issue? 

Hello everyone, thank you for the updates. We're currently looking into this, thank for your patience and understanding!

Hello @Cjmw3

To clarify, did you receive a verification code earlier this month and another one yesterday? Or did you only receive the code yesterday? 

We'll reassess the situation accordingly afterwards. Smiley

ale2019
I'm a participant level 2

I too received an SMS message from 6506 with a verification code this morning. Is this from Fido?

KatH101

I also just received one but from 3993 and in french

Jrt1021

I just received one as well from a 3993 just now.

Hey @Jrt1021 and welcome to the Community!

@Cawtau provided a good explanation above when he said the following:

'' [Those SMS codes] are authorisation codes from the My Account app initialisation (see here). Receiving those codes does not necessarily mean that someone is trying to access your account. When setting up the My Account app, one must manually enter their phone number. ''

We had a situation where those codes were delayed so if you tried to link the app with your number moment before, the code may have reached you moment later. 

Hope that helps.

Hello FidoVan,

Thank you for relaying the explanation. However, is it possible to verify whether 3993 is a short code Fido/Rogers uses? This thread started with the 6506 short code.

I understand the sending of verification codes with 3993 might seem similar to those from 6506, however, the short code 3993 apparently has been used to also send SPAM (see here, here, and here). In fact, one of the images the latter link shows both a verification code and SPAM from that short code.

While it is entirely possible that scammers/spammers have spoofed short codes as well, verification that 3993 is one Fido/Rogers uses would be appreciated.

Cheers

cc @FidoSolutions 

tinyk619

Hi, I also received verification codes from 3993, which I am sure were not initiated by me. I received them on the morning of Jan 21, Jan 27, and then Jan 28. After receiving the verification code on Jan 28 that was not initiated by me, I relinked my phone number to a new My Account account out of abundance of caution, with new password; however I am 100% certain that I have not tried to link a new My Account account prior to Jan 28 for a long time (e.g. at least 6 months).

In relinking my phone number to a new My Account account, I also find the process to be worrying. Other than the verification code sent by text message, there is no other secondary mechanism to ensure the old account consents to the transfer. What if the text message is intercepted by a hacker? What other assurances are there to ensure my account/phone number safety? An unsubstantiated claim that my account is secure isn't enough.

Medium_D

I received one late last night from 399-3 which I did not initiate. 

udongien

same, i just got one an hour ago from 399-3 which i never ereased just in case. My text history with this number only has 2 messages, first one from back in Jun10 2018 (spotify pulse stuff) and this one an hour ago, which i didnt request

udongien

Just as i typed my last message i got another from "fido" with a link to get store credit due to a 'billing error'. Phone is +1(306) 406-0064... if it matters

Hello @Flavio76

You definitely shouldn't be receiving those notifications. 

Did you get any other SMS notifications since then?

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jzhan173,

Welcome to the community!

Hmm, codes sent from 6508 are authorisation codes from the My Account app initialisation (see here). Receiving those codes does not necessarily mean that someone is trying to access your account. When setting up the My Account app, one must manually enter their phone number. It's possible someone mistakenly entered their phone number incorrectly. Perhaps those codes are also sent from 6506?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ady1

I have received today the third message from 6506 with a verification code at an interval of several days. Does that mean that someone is trying to enter my account?