cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Charges when Roaming Data is OFF!

hk13456
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi guys,

I am another victim of these Fido Roam Charges while I was in Mexico from Jan 10 to Jan 18. I was conscious about turning off my Cellular Data as well as ensuring the Roaming Data is also off on my phone prior to boarding the flight to Mexico.

When I return and saw the Fido bill, I was surprised by these roaming charges. So I start googling and calling up Fido customer support.

From googling, I found out that this is a very common issue for iPhone users where there are still "leakage" of data usage when the phone has Cellular Data turned off.

The data usage was as follows (the 5M data usage on Jan 10 was prior to boarding the flight):

hk13456_0-1581472038093.png

And I was charged with the following:

hk13456_1-1581472134501.png

So I called customer support and tried to dispute these charges but end up unsuccessful.

My argument is as follows:
1. My Cellular Data as well as Roaming Data was switched off.
2. From the small data usage, it prove that I have no intention to use data at all during my trip and these are somehow glitches in the phone or system that I am not aware about.
3. I have not consented that I wish to use Fido Roam or activate Fido Roam
4. I was not informed that I have activated Fido Roam for each of the days I was charged

Below is their argument saying the charges are valid:
1. There was roaming data usage, it doesn't matter how much so I was charged for the full day
2. They have sent a text message explaining the charges and that Fido Roam was available if I were to use
3. I should have switch on airplane mode or pull out my sim card instead of just turning off cellular data and roaming data

The best they could do is to refund one day worth of charges ($12) and offer me extra data and free long distance call in the next cycle.

I just find this to be ridiculous how they can charge a full day for a 15kb usage (Jan 14th). Also by them sending you a text saying Fido Roam is available you automatically opted-in on the service and they can charge you the moment they detect any usage. They don't even tell you Fido Roam is activated for the full day.

After calling them and speaking to multiple reps with the same result, I now decided to switch to a different carrier and I will be filing a complaint to the Business Bureau and CRTC.

83 REPLIES 83

Hello Tjones99,

Welcome to the community!

I think you might have misunderstood FidoAlex's post.

@FidoAlex  wrote:

. ..To avoid any roaming charge, you can start by disabling data roaming on your device. Then put your phone on airplane mode to avoid calls and texts. Doing these 2 steps will disconnect your phone from any network connection, then simply activate Wi-Fi for data usage when available....

FidoAlex referred to using Wifi for data or internet usage, not Wifi-calling.

I understand your usage was using Wifi-calling. However, were your calls to non-Canadian numbers? Are you aware that some Wifi-calling usage is considered roaming? If your calls and/or text messages -- while abroad -- were made to non-Canadian numbers, that usage would be considered roaming (see link above).

@tjones99 wrote:

...... I should not incur roaming charges when not using cellular provider carrier services but thats is exactly what happens as per the terms and conditions of wifi calling.

Wifi-calling is a Fido service so that usage is using their services. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. If the calls transmitted entirely over the internet (ie FaceTime) and not through the networks, Fido would not have any record of such calls. Furthermore, calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks.

In addition, the fee for Fido Roam is charged when your device uses your Fido services. Making and/or receiving calls with your Canadian phone number abroad is using Fido Services. Yes, Fido makes allowances for Wifi-calling usage to Canadian numbers, but it is still technically using their services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Yanidamdam
I'm a participant level 1

This is exactly what happened to me right now, soo ridiculously stupid they charged me $12/day when at US, I turned off my cellular data at the airport, just shocked when I got my bill,,,,,ok right I will be switching to the other service providers,,,even their APP not working most of the time so annoying when I need to use the extra hours and ended up not using it, there's nothing good about FIDO .

Hey @Yanidamdama! We would hate to see you go. If you need help with your Fido services, please contact us and we'll be glad to review the situation with you. 

Tamara_t

Happened to me too now, in 2022. I see your post is from 2020.. So until now Fido didn't do anything to prevent this from happening. or at least to give heads up to their new customers while purchasing. I became a customer in late July, traveled abroad in late August and am back to see the big surpirse in my bills. Contacted Apple, had the diagnostics on my phone, everything works fine. They explained it the same way as in the comments below. Even if you turn off roaming on your phone, the provider/sim card can bypass the phone's settings trying to connect to the towers abroad. When you call Fido, they ask you to unenroll from roaming, after they have presented you the stellar bill. of course I unenrolled, it's just I wish I knew about that earlier. So as they will lose also their new customer, as charging unintended fees is just not fair. I have always tried to buy from local smaller companies, truly sorry it didn't work with Fido.

Hey @Tamara_t! We're sorry to read about your experience. That's certainly not the way we want you to feel!

Here are a few links on how Fido roam works that you may want to take a look at: 
• Roaming FAQ: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/fido-roam-faq
• How to ROAM: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/travel
• Roaming TIPS: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/roaming-tips

If you still need help with your services or billing, please  contact us through one of our channels and we'll be happy to help you.

Sean_mcnair
I'm a participant level 3

Happened to me too.  Adding salt to the wound, I did not get the roaming notice when I crossed the border until TWELVE DAYS and TWELVE CHARGES after.   Thought I was safe with using signal, wifi calling and other steps I took.  I would have been fine with a charge or 2 so I could adjust settings I missed.  When the notifications came, I did adjust and eventually disabled the sim and wasn't charged after.    

Adding a salt truck to the wound, I had chatted with Fido to check if I'm getting billed roaming, I knew a few days I must have used roaming (turned on for 2 step verifications) but still didn't get the roaming notification.  I was told IN WRITING that they couldn't tell me (convienient) if I had roamed but if no roaming notification then I won't be billed for it.  Then I got billed a fortune.

I called, they blamed me and said I should have called earlier about not getting the notifications.  All this is in writing and going to CRTC and my credit card fraud dept.

I'm fine getting hit with a few days roaming as I work out how to avoid the fees.  It's the misleading lack of notifications and the lies.   A decade of loyalty and bringing new members will now be the opposite.  Cancelling now.

Just incase more misleading info is needed, I'll copy from the FAQ below:

How will I know if I am in an eligible destination for Fido Roam?

You will receive a text message as soon as your device connects to a partner network confirming the rate you will be charged. If you are in a destination that is not covered by Fido Roam, we will send you a text message with information about our standard Pay-Per-Use roaming rates.

Sean_mcnair

For other victims, here is the link I used to report this: 

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

I will update when this is resolved.

Lisa83
I'm a participant level 2

Thank you just submitted mine as well. Friggin gaslighters

Sean_mcnair

My family plan and mine are long gone from Fido but I did say I'd update when resolved....Full refund after going through the ccts link above. 

Customers shouldn't be expected to become network engineers and blamed for not understanding page 243 section 7.4.5.3 paragraph 2 line 6.  This terrible attitude may be legal but it is unethical and just plain dumb business.  I was a 10+ year customer, my family bill was $150+/mth, do basic math Fido!  In the end you didn't even get to keep the scammed money.

To say this is unavoidable or the customer's fault is equally dumb and not true.  US prepay plans have the option for roaming paid up front, if not paid and agreed in advance it won't work (or charge). 

Fido could send a txt when you reach a roaming zone to inform you AND give the INFORMED OPTION to purchase.  Ex. text back 'roam' to use roaming, do nothing and the phone won't work.  What a concept, making sure customers are aware and agree to something before they pay for it.  To say they "can't" do this and "can't" tell me 20 days after if I roamed or not is total BS, just like Fido.  Good riddins Fido!

Hello Sean_mcnair,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected roaming charges.

@Sean_mcnair wrote:

...Thought I was safe with using signal, wifi calling and other steps I took....

Did you use Wifi-calling to make calls or send messages to non-Canadian phone numbers? If you did, you should note that type of usage would also be considered roaming (see here). Only Wifi-calling calls and messages to Canadian phone numbers would not incur roaming charges.

If your roaming charges are for Wifi-calling usage to non-Canadian phone numbers, that could explain why you didn't receive any Fido Roam notifications. Those would only be received when connected to a foreign cellular network. Wifi-calling does not connect to a cellular network.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Sean_mcnair

Thanks for your reply.  I don't remember all my calls but very few were non-canadian.  I made a few but not everyday and got charged everyday until I disabled the SIM, there was something else.  Either way if wifi calling charges but doesn't trigger the roam message, how would anyone know that without finding this forum? The FAQ clearly states we will be informed when triggering roaming.

Biggest problem here is the lack of clarity about roam, the info contradicts itself and agents contradict the contradicting info.  One place on the site says you can receive txt but not send (implies data off , roam on is ok), elsewhere it suggests pulling the SIM.  Customers shouldn't need to do so much research, chatting, investigation and study to understand when roaming is triggered.  If I send an international txt or go over minutes, I can check that easily and then think oops my fault if I use.  Roam use is unclear and kept secret until it racks up. Do I really believe that fido can't see roam usage until end of month? absolutely not, does anyone? seriously?? they can see every kb and call but can't see roaming? 

Considering data leakage noted by the thread starter, and other issues, roam should be even clearer than other features/charges and easy to check. Just seems too convieniently profitable the way it is.  Bottom line, Fido profits from being unclear and not providing repeatedly requested info, this is why I went to 

Hello Sean_mcnair,

Thank you for the additional information.

@Sean_mcnair wrote:

....Either way if wifi calling charges but doesn't trigger the roam message, how would anyone know that without finding this forum? The FAQ clearly states we will be informed when triggering roaming...

I'm not sure where you saw that information stating we will be informed when triggering roaming. The part of the FAQ you included in your first post even states the text will be received when your device connects to a partner network. As previously mentioned, Wifi-calling does not connect to the local networks.

If people choose to use a service, they should know what that service entails and any limitations etc. That's why they also have the Wifi-calling information page. It does clearly state that outgoing Wifi-calling messages and calls to non-Canadian number will incur the Fido Roam daily charge.

@Sean_mcnair wrote:

...Biggest problem here is the lack of clarity about roam, the info contradicts itself and agents contradict the contradicting info.  ..

I understand it's fashionable these days to blame the mobile providers. However, they are clear about the Fido Roam charges. The fee for Fido Roam is charged when your device uses your Fido services. That is, when your device is used to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad with your Fido SIM (taken from FAQ) -- even is said usage is unintentional.

Contrary to popular belief, the mobile providers will only transmit what their phones transmit or request (except for incoming text messages, see below). In order to prevent roaming charges, customers need to do what is necessary on their devices to prevent that usage. What is necessary, depends on the device, not the mobile providers.

@Sean_mcnair wrote:

... One place on the site says you can receive txt but not send (implies data off , roam on is ok)...

To clarify, modern phones do not have a setting to disable roaming entirely. They do have settings to disable roaming data. However, disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. So incoming SMS messages do not incur the charge but does not imply enabling roaming data is okay. Note that receiving MMS (incoming or outgoing) would incur the charge because it includes data. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would likely incur roaming charges. As previously mentioned, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

You noted the data leakage mentioned by the OP. I understand some people have also had their data and/or roaming data disabled. However, people need to know how their devices behave with those settings disabled. As mentioned in some of my previous posts, some phone manufacturers might consider system data differently from user data and allow the former usage despite those settings. Mobile providers have no access over a device's settings. They can't know whether a device had those settings enabled or disabled. They only know usage.

In order to prevent roaming charges, it is usually recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, as mentioned, disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice or text messaging. It would also be recommended to keep Airplane or Flight modes enabled for the duration of trips. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS or emergency calls. However, people need to know how their devices behave if they intend on keeping their devices available for those services.

@Sean_mcnair wrote:

... Do I really believe that fido can't see roam usage until end of month? absolutely not, does anyone? seriously?? they can see every kb and call but can't see roaming? ..

While it might not take a month for Fido to receive your usage, it does not happen in real-time.

For post-paid roaming, when the user first switches their phone on, the visited network checks in real time whether the home network authenticates the customer and authorises its use abroad...  ~ taken from here.

That would result in the Welcoming text message we receive when our phones connect to a foreign network.

...But the data records (CDRs) with the details on each SMS and data session are sent to the home operator with some delay (up to several days).. ~ also taken from link above.

If home networks don't receive usage information in real-time, it's not possible for them to provide customers with notification that a roaming session has begun without a delay.

The situation is different with pre-paid services where a real-time exchange is required to prevent the balance of the roaming customers' accounts from becoming overdrawn. That's likely the reason why pre-paid roaming often costs more than post-paid roaming.

I don't know what usage triggered your roaming charges. If your device did connect to a foreign network, it should have received the Welcome message. You should be able to view the roaming usage in your detailed billing. You should be able to view your bill via your My Account --> Billings & Payments. From there, you should be able to Save or Print a PDF copy of your bill. Alternatively, you should also be able to view those details online.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Denscott

Good evening Cawtau, I was wondering if you could provide some answers for me.

I work in the UNited States and live in Canada, crossing the border daily like thousands of other Canadians in my city. I have had Telus and Virgin plans prior to Fido.

I have only had Fido since December, 2022...so about 2 months. I have always had Roaming turned off on my phone and never once received charges with Virgin and Telus for "connecting to a foreign network" yet in January I was charged $39 for roaming. The customer service rep told me that they were charges for, get this, "receiving Canadian calls while in the USA even if they were not answered and went to voice mail". Yep, I was charged for a telemarket calling my phone and me not answering it. Never once was I charged by Virgin or Telus in almost 15 years for roaming. Yet here we are with Fido.

Please explain why Fido is charging differently than other Canadian mobile providers MVP Cawtau?

Hello Denscott,

I replied to your other post here.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak as to what was previously discussed when you contacted customer service. However, it's possible the representative was not fully aware of the circumstances which trigger roaming charges. As far as I am aware, having calls go to voicemail and/or rejecting calls to send them to voicemail should not incur roaming charges (see here). However, checking your voicemail would be considered roaming as one must call the voicemail service. 

If you have received your monthly bill, you should be able to view which usage triggered the roaming charges via your My Account --> View & Manage bill (or Billing & Payments). From there, you should find the option to Print or Save a PDF copy of your bill. Alternatively, you should also be able to view the details online under Other charges and credits (see here). It's possible those charges were for other usages when your device connected to the local networks.

You should note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. You might consider re-contacting customer service if you wish them to look into the matter. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

**edit** Are you using any apps to block SPAM calls? If you are, you should note that while you might not have answered the calls, those apps technically do answer the calls and almost simultaneously hang up as a means of preventing those calls from getting sent to voicemail.**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

hk13456

Hey Fido and Fido reps, this is not cool and the way to blame customer for not knowing how their phone works is not good customer support. 

Instead of blaming the customer and their device, why don't Fido take a look and review the Fido Roam feature as this is something Fido can do to help customers. 

Here are my suggestion for Fido:

1.  Consider charging roaming by the kb or minute first instead of charging a full day the moment roaming is used.

2.  When Fido Roam is actived for that day, consider informing the user each day Fido Roam is activated. 
3.  Condider asking your overseas network partners why roaming data is used when celluar data is switched off. As I have spoken to tech suppoort from Apple (iPhone) that the data leak is likely due to the SIM carrier trying to ping and find the most optimal network to connect to.  They say likey the SIM is bypassing the cellular data settings on IOS devices as there is no data usage logged on any of the apps or system app. 

Also, expecting the common user to know how roaming works or know how their phone works to the level you described is just unrealistic.  We just turn off celluar data and expects no data will be used and no roaming charges.

Hello HK13456,

Firstly, I don't work for Fido. I understand you feel like it's blaming customers, but they do need to know how their devices behave. I'm not suggesting a full detailed knowledge about the nitty-gritty of how things work. However, turning off data and verifying there is no data usage is helpful. Also, perhaps ensuring background data is not being used unnecessarily by apps. etc.

I also understand customers expect those settings to work as they are intended. However, if they do not, that's an issue with the manufacturer, not the mobile providers.

@hk13456 wrote:

...3.  Condider asking your overseas network partners why roaming data is used when celluar data is switched off...

As mentioned previously, the mobile providers only know usage. If a device is using data when cellular data setting is disabled, that's an issue with the device. The mobile providers have no access to a device's settings to know what settings are enabled/disabled.

I understand your version of what Apple has stated regarding data leakage.

@hk13456 wrote:H...They say likey the SIM is bypassing the cellular data settings on IOS devices as there is no data usage logged on any of the apps or system app.

The mobile providers cannot bypass the device's settings. If that setting allows that type of data to transmit/receive despite it being disabled, that is the way Apple designed their device.

That said, they have also noted elsewhere that their devices might connect to their servers for what they deem to be necessary for proper usage of the devices. Apple might deem it necessary, but it's still data usage.

In order to prevent roaming charges, it is usually recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, it should be noted that disabling roaming data does not prevent roaming for voice or text messaging. It would also be recommended to keep Airplane or Flight modes enabled for the duration of trips. You could manually enable Wifi when required. I understand doing so would also prevent incoming SMS or emergency calls. However, people need to know how their devices behave if they intend on keeping their devices available for those services.

Cheers

gloriaP

How about Fido not enable roaming automatically? You say you don't work for Fido? Who believes this? Lmao

hk13456

Hey look, if you choose to defend for Fido, then you are representing them in their defense.  I don't care if you get paid by Fido or not or who promote you to MVP. 

Second, the point is not about why data leaked (in my case).  I already accepted that the fact that data can leak even with the cellular data setting turned off.  So no point in blaming or arguing who fault it is that caused the data leak.  Note that at no point did I blame Fido for the data leakage. 

What I am asking here is for Fido to review thier Fido Roam policy so that in future case where there is unexpected data leakage (esp in these small amounts) that Fido customers do not end up getting a hefty bill after their travel.   And I have provided good suggestion for Fido to consider.  I sincerely hope they will consider these suggestions. 

Now, I also thank you for your tech explaination.  But your expectation that every phone user knows how their phone works technically underneath the settings, this I cannot agree with.  We did what we can to the best of our knowledge to disable cellular data and roaming data.  So please don't blame us for not knowing how our phone works and causing the data leakage.  And no, pulling out the sim or airplane mode is not an option as we still want to use roaming in case of emergency. 

Also, I simply relay what the tech at Apple informed me regarding the cause of the data leak.  The way Apple put it is that those settings only prevent iOS and Apps from using data. It doesnt stop / disable the sim from using data or roaming data in this case.   If you wish to continue the argument with Apple Tech, please go ahead and call Apple tech support.

Hello again,

@hk13456 wrote:

... The way Apple put it is that those settings only prevent iOS and Apps from using data. It doesnt stop / disable the sim from using data or roaming data in this case.   If you wish to continue the argument with Apple Tech, please go ahead and call Apple tech support.

As mentioned previously, a mobile provider can only note usage. If a device uses data when it is not supposed to, that's an issue with the manufacturer. If you choose to use a device from that manufacturer, it would be up to you to ensure the device does not use data. You would need to contact Apple so they can place measures preventing that usage.  It is not a mobile provider's responsibility to know how your device works.

If you choose to not remove the SIM or enable Airplane mode for the duration of your trips, that is certainly up to you. However, that could allow unexpected roaming to occur. It would be your responsibility to ensure your device does not use services when you do not intend for them to be used.

**edit** If you wish, you could opt-out of Fido Roam. Once opted-out, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You would need to contact customer service in order to opt-out. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.**

Cheers

gloriaP

I was a Telus customer in the past. The rep reviewed the "data usage", like 59kb and instantly reversed the charges. 

Fido just being dirty with their tactics...people need to complain to CCTS AND post their negative experience and let others know Fido tactics. I will update my post if Fido reverses their fees....

CautiousUser

Opting our of Fido Roam and using pay-per-use is NO solution.  New pay-per-use Fido charges for the US are $12 for 50Mb!

Best solution is to buy an eSIM (sent by email) mobile service in US from someone like Mint Mobile for $20/month unlimited calling/10Gb prepaid and pull out Fido SIM card.