cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Bytes Usage Limit

fanel
I'm a contributor level 1

I just wanted to confirm this since I wasn't able to find the information anywhere on the Fido website.

I was under the impression that Data Bytes limit is defined by the time and not the actual usage of GB but when I go into the My Account app and look into the Data Bytes history, I see the message below:

( up to 45 GB )

So is there an actual cap of how much GB can be used with Data Bytes?

Screenshot_20181120-224424_My Account.jpg

7 REPLIES 7

thebonman
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Yes but they throttle the speed so its literally impossible to reach that amount in either case 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fanel,

Data Bytes usage is determined by the amount of data used within the hour. However, that doesn't mean they cannot place an upper limit on the amount of data used within the hour.

That said, I don't think it's even possible to use 45GB of mobile data within an hour. To achieve that amount of data during a session would require sustained data transfer speeds of 100Mbps (for conversion see here). Given that the fastest LTE speeds seem to have hit a plateau at around 45Mbps (see here), it doesn't seem likely that anyone could ever reach that cap during a Data Bytes session.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

fanel

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

That was actually going to be my next question, if the 45 GB limit is per Data Bytes session, or total for the billing period (so for all 5 sessions).

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @fanel!

@Cawtau is correct in both cases here. When using Data Bytes there is a maximum of 45 GB that can be used and that limit is per Data Bytes session that you activate. 

Hope this clarifies everything!

fanel

Thanks for the additional information Amanda.

Not that it's an issue since I wouldn't even come close to using that much data in an hour but it's perplexing that the limit is not communicated anywhere on the Fido website (unless I missed it?) & it's only mentioned in the app after you've used one session of Data Bytes.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @fanel,

It can definitely be confusing, we'll make sure to update our website Smiley

Hello again,

@fanel wrote:...if the 45 GB limit is per Data Bytes session, or total for the billing period (so for all 5 sessions).

I read it as 45GB per Data Bytes session, but I can't be certain that is what they intended...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers