cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese (or else) recorded call almost everyday !

PCIMPOTS
I'm a participant level 2

Almost everyday, I am receiving a recorded call in Chinese (or else) ! This has been for months, now. Anybody else receiving this annoying call ? Every time, the source calling number is different. No way to stop this ?

56 REPLIES 56

NPCBOT
I'm a participant level 1

I just can't contain my excitement when my phone rings and it's a Chinese spam call! It's like a daily dose of mystery and suspense. Will they try to sell me the latest fake designer handbag, offer me a free stay at a non-existent resort, or just regale me with a recorded message in a language I don't understand? Truly, it's the highlight of my day, and I eagerly await each call with bated breath. 

Meakah

Pretty much EVERY SINGLE DAY for years now.  Losing my mind! It's now 2-3 times a day filling my voicemail inbox. Different number every time.  How do I make it stop?!?

Ray_A
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

You can't, and I doubt FIDO really cares either. I simply put my phone in "Do not disturb" mode 24/7 and only allow calls from my contact list to come through. I see no other way of ever stopping these spam calls.

Hey @Meakah, 

We completely understand that receiving those types of calls is not pleasant at all and can be a great irritant and I assure you that we take this very seriously. You can also rest assured that we have nothing to do with these kinds of calls and don’t support them in any way. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do to stop these numbers from contacting you because there are no laws stopping them from doing so. But we do everything we can to lower their chances of getting in touch with you.I suggest avoid picking up those calls as much as possible and make sure to block the unwanted calls by blocking the caller's number. I also recommend reporting the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online: www.antifraudcentre.ca or by phone at 1-888-495-8501 

FidoBaba

Fido does not reflect the intent to fix these scam text and calls as these have been increasing over the past few years.  Many countries have had mass header blocks for such scam text messaging and calls and have betterb policies. Each given day i am receiving at least 4 text and calls on Fido's number and so are other people in my network. Fido will do what ever to increase its market share and nothing to maintain the quality of service and data protectiuon - Disappointed where a brand itself has no respect for its goodwill 

Kbyrne

I get 2-3 of these calls a day. I block every number but they keep changing. My husband gets at least one a day. Is this just Fido customers? It's really a lot

H3110

I've been getting weird scam calls for months now. I ignore unknown numbers and they go to my voicemail instead. Not all of them leaves a message, but those that do are nearly always the exact same one -- a woman who speaks in Mandarin and says the exact same opening words. (I immediately skip out, so I don't remember the rest of it.) They call with different numbers, but with the same message, so it's safe to say it's a scam. 

Anyways, recently, a number (+18668883436) who claims to be Fido Customer Service on call display, did the same thing. 

This is both a warning to anyone who reads this and a question: how do I stop this these calls?

Hey @H3110,

I have moved your message in this thread as it is about the same topic  (Chinese spam calls). Hopefully, you will be able to go over the answers provided by our members. 

Having said that, our Chinese team will not make an outgoing call. You can learn more about how to protect yourself from spam calls here.

biffowitz

This is for the birds, I'm on my second "Fido'd Chinese voice dept." this morning, the calls are getting more frequent, not less. I'm getting 5 or 6 calls a week, six months ago it was 2 or 3.

Seems to me, Fido does not care!!!

Hey @biffowitz!

We are indeed aware of these spam attempts pretending to come from our Chinese department. Please note that we are aware of the situation and working on a permanent fix, namely universal call blocking.

When it comes to spam calls, we suggest being very vigilant and to not provide any personal information.
It's always best to not answer a call from a number you don't know, as most people who are trying to reach you for legitimate reasons will leave a voicemail.

If you're using an Android device, you can block calls from certain numbers, by adding them to the device “Block Numbers” settings in Phone > Settings > Block Numbers.
The blocked numbers will be redirected to the voicemail.

If you have an iPhone, you'd instead need to click on the Phone icon, click on "Recents" then on the "i" next to the phone number you want to block, then click on "Block this call" at the bottom.

Following the tips provided above won't stop all fraudulent calls, but it should at least help reduce the number received!

I hope this helps!

drzee

I have been blocking these calls, but they (obviously) keep changing numbers. However, just now I received one that actually appeared to originate from Fido's main number (1-888-481-3436) - I don't think I want to block that...?

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@drzee hi ! I agree that is Fido main number! Therefore, I would suggest you not block it!

Ps They might have attempted to reach you for a promotion, about your account or following on one of your request?

drzee

Hi - no, it was an automated message like all the other scam calls, starting with "This is a message from Fido Chinese voice". I hung up at that point.

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@drzee @FidoSolutions can you please inform

the status of your number

Fido contact Information 

seems main number looping with your mandarin Chinese reply service number !?

Thank you!

biffowitz

Thanks for the reply Vanessa

Not picking up the phone isn't really a solution. At some point I have to go into my voice mail and delete Chinese voice message. Also blocking calls did nothing to stop this, the phone numbers are always different.

Thanks

biffowitz

StM

Hi,

Here is what I do. When receiving this kind of calls, after some tray and fail, I found that "0" is the option to speak to a "real person" - chines scammer. They don't speak English so he will hang up after he sees that you don't speak Chinese.

The whole point is to waste their time so they will not want to call you anymore.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but after using this method on all kind of scammers I have not received CRA, credit card, or car related scam calls in more than 2 months. Plus, I learned how some scam schemes works and had some fun Smiley

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

@StM I like your enthusiasm Smiley

Maybe you haven't got those calls again because they've now already suceeded establishing a link to your line! 

Ever heard of dormant virus?

VOIP it's all coding!

Chinese are pretty bright at IT and make most our devices.

I suggest not to answer unless you know the caller.

Cheers!

StM

One time during a conversation with CRA scammers I got a spoofed phone call from Montreal RCMP so, you never know who's really calling you. Awareness is the only weapon we have.

Dormant virus - yes, heard about it. How to to send them through SIP trunks (although my android phone is not a SIP endpoint) - no, didn't heard but you made me curious about it. I will appreciate if you could share a link where to find more info. In case you are right, I guess I wont have to even answer the phone, they will send the malware the same way we receive the emails or text messages - without acknowledging the receipt.

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hello @StM 

Your android and every phone out there are using the same protocol VOIP UC RTP .. I will not get into too much details ..and acronyms lol 

Just know  that it is possible to pass packets. I agree with you better to know than not. so out of the many XEPs of XMPP - Extensible Messaging and Presence protocol (Open Source) See here --> Jingle 

Best regards

Xaxmbr

OMG! I HAVE BEEN TOLERATING THIS FOR MORE THAN A YEAR! I thought I was the only one! At this point I'm absolutely fedup because I run a business and I pay Fido thousands of dollars a year for their service yet I have started to feel like maybe this service has become cheap and doesn't have protection as it should for people who pay A LOT! This is absolutely bonkers! This automated Chinese msg calls me 2-3 times everyday, leaves voicemails and then when I block them, they call from a different number. I am calling Fido now and deactivating my voicemail service.