cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls from Fido's number 18884813436 and Chinese hotline 8668883436

Zuzucat
I'm a participant level 2

Someone had been trying to spoof calling using the same caller display as Fido number 18884813436.  I realized it's a scam as soon as they asked me if I speak Chinese because it wasn't the Chinese Fido hotline.  Later in the day they spoof call using the Chinese hotline 8668883436.  I hope Fido is aware of this!

13 REPLIES 13

Vancouver3
I'm a participant level 1

Same infofrmation told. They can switch from Mandrain person or Cantonese person. But Cantonese person still has accents. So I found this very unprofessional. I speak back in English saying we are in Canada; you are not speaking well in two official lanuages that are very suspecious. I told them I need to verify your identity instead of you verify me. Leave your numbers and name I will call you back. Their numbers 1-888-481-3438 Winnie - even have employee number C10946. Haha Then I call back this number it is not from FIDO. I also reported to FIDO.

Confusedhere
I'm a contributor level 3

I got a call today to sound very much like a scam. Long-distance overseas connection pretty obvious. I got the call today to sound very much like a scam. Long-distance overseas connection which was  pretty obvious. However, they didn't know my spouse' surname.  Looks like Rogers Fido is stooping to new lows.

Anyway, only Telus and Bell have effective anti-spam call control technology.

luckylikly

I got the call from the same number 1-888-481-3436 who spoke mandarin, they knew all my information and talked I registerd a new phone number, I believe this is spam, and they kept calling me from this number 3 times.

tngan

I got the call from the same number 1-888-481-3436 who speak mandarin, and I don't speak mandarin. They keep calling me 4 times to try to talk to me by cantonese. They know some of my information and said that I had register an number on public web.

Confusedhere

@tngan Yup. How they got this info is very slimy. They obviously "bought" the info from Fido and are sanctioned. Probably some special offer for Chinese-speaking present and former Fido customers. 

Irislu03

I got this call too.  Then i called this number 18884813436 back and it was genuinely fido. I am confused now. Did i call the scam themselves back? 

gcxu

I got call from 18884813436 (who claimed to be FIDO Chinese hot line) and the person gave a detialed case and lured me to believe someone use my account to open a new phone card, which had received complained and CRTC is going to lock my cell phone number if I did not file a case with Police. I was checking the number they provided about CRTC  (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) with correct public contact number 18772492782 and even a file number with case under my name.

Although finding suspicious I went as far as they connected me to 8659522180500 who claim to be Chinese Police station in Fujian quanzhou China.  Then that was it. I was totally amazed by how the spoof could make up a case like such. I hope it catches FIDO's attention and gets more ppl aware this type of scam

robinmli

I got call from this number today. I am adding it to my blocklist now.

Zuzucat

Before these chinese fido spoof calls, I also got scam calls from someone who claimed to be China border custom from Shenzhen few months back, they also have some of my personal information like my legal name and all, but they lost me when they had my address wrong.  About this Chinese Fido calls got me wonder if our informations were really leaked, because I switched to Rogers a month ago for 5G network and I no longer calls from this spoof number of Chinese Fido.  And of course there are new scam calls after I switched to Rogers, this time is RCMP lol 

I experienced exactly the same thing!!!

yohoho6789

Got a call 3 times today. Asked if I speak Chinese and other Fido related information. Who sell my information to these people? Can Fido protect us and be responsible?

Envy

1-888-481-3436 is a SCAM, everyone watch out!

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thank you for sharing @Zuzucat 

I'll also link a solution provided in another post to provide more context on this particular issue.

Hope this helps!