cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can data only plan SIMs still can receive text and calls?

snowweiwei1
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hello

When i activated my tablet, i was told i can put the sim into a phone and if i need to make call or send text, i am able to do so with additional per per use costs. $1 per minute for call for example.

But i cannot make or receive calls.

Please advise.

30 REPLIES 30

vinarty
I'm a participant level 1

I got cheated as well.  I bought the plan just for SMS and Data. I hate these tech companies without humans of any skill

Hey @vinarty! Philippe here. I hope you're doing well. Smiley

Text and data plans are available, you can find them here. Those plans are not available for tablets though.

I hope that helps!

pmjzzz

To register the Fido app on a data-only plan, select the "I have a Fido internet plan" option, and use the email address you have previously registered for your mobile account at fido.ca. Just tried this on a whim, and it worked :-). Also surprised the CSR I was text-chatting with!

smrtby28
I'm a participant level 2

I can't register fido extra app, as I didn't receive the incoming text to confirm on my tablet.

Is incoming text blocked too? Or I have to call to get it enabled any idea 

Hey @smrtby28! Welcome to the community. Smiley

Our data only plan doesn't include, outgoing SMS or minutes. Some tablets can receive SMS. What is the tablet you are using?

Hi @smrtby28,

I have looked into the situation and sadly there are no options available to allow incoming texts on our data-only plans.

We do offer wide selection of data and text plans starting as low as $15 which would allow you to use that feature.

You can find more information here

Annie25

That is ridiculous. We are not looking for outgoing call or outgoing text on our Tablet. But when you the incoming text you are preventing us to use and register apps on the tablet. My mom doesn't use cell phone but she uses tables and some apps. she needs to receive verification code when logging to some apps and when she forgets password. This causes so much inconvenience, and you should notify us the changes. This is fraud.

Hey @Annie25,

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, as mentioned, this option is not available as our data plans do not offer a texting option included in the plan.

You can find more information here

Sab13

hi,

I agree with Annie25, selling  a tablet data service  plan  with no ability to authenticate because receive txt message are not allowed is TOTALLY ridiculous .....if  you cant ,  authenticate  then you cannot use many of the apps and web sites.. ....your table plan becauses very limited and cannot be used properly....it like selling a car without the steering wheel..

You should have  a warning in RED  that states  authentication is  is not possible before you sell the plan.....The agent that sold me the plan told me that you  have  unlimited  receive only text message which was false....I olny found out after  a few  months into the plan otherwise i would have returned the tablet...

Fido has to make this right...as a minimum you should provide receive txt messages...maybe 20 per month which would allow authentication to proceed  at least  or allow peple to forward incoming txt to their other cell phones from which authentification codes could be then received...

Unsatisfied customer....

Hey @Sab13

Welcome to the community! 

I can definitely understand the inconvenience with this feature not being included.

That said, it's important to understand that these data-only plans will only include data. 

Nonetheless, we do have other plan options that do cover SMS and other usage as well as data!

Annie25

In that case can I cancel my contract? I can't use this sim to register app. What would I need this sim for? You should should mention to us clearly you made such changes. 

Hey @Annie25

These plans are meant as Data-Only plans and do not cover text messages. The SIM is used to be able to access the Data while you're not on Wi-Fi. 

We would hate to see you go, but if you would like us to take a closer look and review your term together, you can reach us through one of the options found here

We can also send you a PM here on the Community if you would prefer. Let us know! 

smrtby28

Thanks for supporting 

smrtby28

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand calls and outgoing text not available.

I'm only looking for incoming texts so that I can register to apps like  Fido myaccount and WhatsApp.. which requires codes received as texts

My device is new Samsung galaxy 8

FidoValeska
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @snowweiwei1

I apologize for the misinformation. 

Our tablet lines do not offer outgoing / incoming calls or outgoing text messages. 

The service is blocked since it is a data only plan. 

Keep in mind that text messages can still be received. 

KS111111

I am unable to receive any text msg on my 4GB data plan. Is that any technical issue?

Thanks,

Kate

Hey @KS111111

Our new data only plans do not support any other services but data included in your plan. 

When did you get that plan? 

w00f

so in the old 3gb plans

we were able to send text (at a fee) and receive text for free

i did add a code before to lock this feature out, so i dont accidentally get charged

i'm being told that now with the 4gb plan this is by default removed and cannot be added

why can the code to send or just even receive free txt be added back?

it's critical to use for password recovery and account authentication of several apps

FidoRuth
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi w00f, you are correct, our previous data-only plan offered the option to text and call for an additional fee.

As part of our current plans, the option is no longer supported.

We understand that having a phone number is useful for those purposes, but we also have Data and Text plans that offer those features.

You can find out more information about those plans here.

eebeeebee-van

I have the same issue that woof mentioned.  Without the ability to receive texts, I can't even properly install your own fido app on my tablet. In the beginning of the thread, a fido rep mentioned that data only plans have the ability to receive texts only. So this has been changed? Any possibility of adding that function back?