cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can data only plan SIMs still can receive text and calls?

snowweiwei1
I'm a participant level 3

Hello

When i activated my tablet, i was told i can put the sim into a phone and if i need to make call or send text, i am able to do so with additional per per use costs. $1 per minute for call for example.

But i cannot make or receive calls.

Please advise.

30 REPLIES 30

Hi @eebeeebee-van

There has indeed been a change. It's no longer possible to send/receive text messages on data-only plans. 

w00f
I'm a participant level 2

well funny you mentioned

i also lost the capability to receive txt messages on my older tablet which is still using the 3gb plan

this tablet with this plan was able to receive texts

but now it's not anymore

i can't even authenticate the fido xtra app as it's not receiving the authentication text message

any reason why did i lose this feature ? my plan hasn't changed and it worked before

seems like you removed something i had on my plan without notification?

Hello FidoValeska,

@FidoValeska wrote:

Hey @snowweiwei1

I apologize for the misinformation. 

Our tablet lines do not offer outgoing / incoming calls or outgoing text messages. 

The service is blocked since it is a data only plan. 

Keep in mind that text messages can still be received. 

Is that a new policy? As far as I remember, it used to be that those services were automatically enabled for Data only plans and people had to contact Fido to have them disabled.

Cheers

snowweiwei1

i cannot receive any text.

please help.

Hey @Cawtau!

Yep, this is something that is relatively new.

This applies to all of our newer data-only plans released after March 12th. 2019. We're simplifying things. These plans are now strictly for data use only. All calling and SMS is blocked. 

@snowweiwei1, What device are you using? Does rebooting your device change anything?

snowweiwei1

i have tried 2 unlocked device, one iphone 7 and one iphone x max

neither can receive text.

Yuri18

I have the same issue. I can’t receive verification code message from Apple, Google and Yahoo Canada while I could get it from Fido and could send a message to myself though. I really need to receive verification code from Apple ASAP. Please confirm why we can’t receive messages with the data only plan.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Yuri18

Welcome to the community Smiley

If you're able to receive regular SMS, the service is working as intended. As for the short code you're trying to receive, it needs to be from one of the numbers on this list. Have you also had the chance to contact Apple to have them look into it? The link provided will include a contact number associated with the short code you're attempting to receive.

@snowweiwei1, can you please confirm if you're unable to receive regular SMS as well? The SIM card linked to your Data only plan number should be able to receive incoming texts free of charge.

Let us know!

snowweiwei1

hello. 

i cannot receive regular text message.

i have 4 other fido numbers which i used to try.

why would you assume i am trying to receive some special messages.

Hey @snowweiwei1

We don't want to jump to any conclusions or make any assumptions. It's important for us to ask the appropriate troubleshooting questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation. 

In this case I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look through your account details to review the details together.