cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brightstar Scam

Tristram666
I'm a participant level 2

You pay $13 a month for this.  Your reps routinely tell people the deductible is $150 (it's more).  They can't tell you what the actual cost will be when you want to make a claim yet they sell the protection. 

When you pay the deductible it doesn't subtract from the total of your device balance. 

In my case this was an S9 I was looking to replace.  They didnt have any so they are sending me an S10.  Except this phone I later found was $0 if you upgrade online.  So I could have just ate the my balance of $413 and got the same phone.  Instead i had to pay $226 for the deductible, still pay off the $413 on the old device, not to mention for $150+ ive already sank into paying for the protection.

TOTAL SCAM!

4 REPLIES 4

Mgray1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

It's a scam, period!

Hey there @Mgray1 and welcome to the Community!

What makes you say that exactly? 😮

You can visit this link for more information if needed.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Tristram666,

Welcome to the community!

I understand some people might not think the device protection is worth the money. However, that does not make it a SCAM. I can't speak as to what the sales representative discussed with you when you purchased the device, however, the repair and replacement processing fees should have been outlined in the documentation you should have been provided when you purchased the protection. You can also view the fees here.

@Tristram666 wrote:...

When you pay the deductible it doesn't subtract from the total of your device balance. ..

That's not how the device protection works. That's not how any insurance works. The device balance is the amount of money you still owe on your device. The processing fee (ie deductible) is the charge for the service to replace or repair your device. The former is paid to Fido, the latter is paid to Brightstar. They are completely different. If you financed a car and had to pay your insurance company a deductible for repairs, that money for repairs doesn't get deducted from the amount you still owe on the car.

@Tristram666 wrote:..Except this phone I later found was $0 if you upgrade online. ..

That promotion is not for a free phone. That promotion is $0 upfront; you would still have to finance that device after paying out the balance on your old device. The replacement processing fee you're paying for the S10 is less than the financing you would have had to pay if you upgraded online.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Tristram666

I get that i'd have to finance the new phone, but I was willing to do that.  I almost always just get 0 dollar phones.  The difference now is I could have done that for $226 dollars cheaper.  and based on the reputation of brightstar, my likelihood of getting a non fully functioning phone is pretty high.

You know how life insurance works?  If a rep misleads you and gives you false information verbally it can actually null a written contract.  in this case fido reps have been doing that on the regular.  they really should have the ability to give you proper information considering they are selling this product

im just lucky my claim was accepted right away but we will see what happens.