cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad LTE coverage at Cypress Mountain West Vancouver

ansmalp
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I tried on cypress mountain , It was really bad coverage. LTE wasn't working at all, It switch to 3G which was not working either. I use Iphone Pro , So I know phone is not an issue, I used to be Virgin mobile and never had an issue. Can you FIDO people upgrade your service there.

32 REPLIES 32

There are some local mountains that you can receive a signal with Fido. I am on the sunshine coast and go up Dakota Ridge for xcountry skiing and am able to get a signal. Most towers out here are put up by telus and would likely receive a more reliable signal. Most communities are trying to block towers from being installed for various reasons out here, whether it is aesthetic or perceived risks of a  communication tower. That's a whole different debate. If you have an emergency, you can use the make an emergency call on your phone and it will connect through whichever tower is available. If you don’t have a consistent signal while being at work on a mountain, I would suggest you research which carrier would work best for you. There isn't any "gaslighting" going on. We do live in an extremely mountainous and challenging area. Search and rescue always recommend getting spot locators while in the mountains. For me, fido works on Seymour and Dakota Ridge. 

galuple
I'm a participant level 2

Chipping in on this as well, as an avid skier at Cypress mountain I've noticed how dreadful the coverage is. Sometimes I have to walk around the parking lot to find a signal if I need to make a call, and forget being able to call anyone on the hill. A friend got hurt and we weren't able to even call the ski patrol for help because the call kept dropping. I've never had this problem with any other mountian. Even though it shows "3G" the signal is so weak that calls don't connect. 

Pupper
I'm a contributor level 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/snowboarder-avalanche-cypress-bc-1.5889305

I've talked to other people who work on Cypress and they, like me, have been Fido customers for years, and this year has been awful for their reception as well. I've changed my billing from auto to manual so I can cancel service and change providers at the end of the billing period. After more than 20 years, I'll be leaving Fido over this. It's no use getting a good price on a data plan that I can't use. If I wanted a 3G plan, I'd use Public Mobile.

And btw, someone was rescued from an avalanche yesterday because they had reception. I guess if they had Rogers or Fido he would have died.

Hello again,

@Pupper wrote:...And btw, someone was rescued from an avalanche yesterday because they had reception. I guess if they had Rogers or Fido he would have died.

I am glad that snowboarder was rescued safely. However, that is a completely unfounded comment. There is no evidence of which tower that snowboarder's phone connected. With the exception of voLTE, voice calls and messages are transmitted via the '3G' networks. You, yourself noted that you get 3G reception. That connection would have been sufficient to make the necessary calls.

Cheers

Confusedhere
I'm a contributor level 2

@Cawtau lol. This decade willing be known for (among many things) as gaslighters. 

I was in Steveston Richmond today after a two year absence. The reception was atrocious. I looked online and there's only two towers in the area. One is shared by Shaw. The Fido towers are far apart and saturated. 

Also looking on the map, Telus must have around 15 towers in the same area. I can understand Shaw/Freedom having poor to no reception but Rogers/Fido? 

Hello Confusedhere,

Gaslighter?? Not sure where that came from...

I understand there may not be very many Fido/Rogers cellular towers in the area. However, there are bigger issues at hand than simply one mobile company wanting to fix the problem. The issue isn't necessarily as simple as Rogers adding cellular towers in the area. Often, it is the residents in the area who oppose the erection of cellular towers. In fact, the Township of Langley has a specific Telecommunication Tower Policy. As well, North Vancouver has their own Wireless Communication Design and Consultation Policy. Clearly, there needs to be discussion and evaluation with your municipality regarding the need for additional cellular towers (see here). 

In addition, the current rules require companies to share cellular towers rather than build new ones (see here). As you note, there are already multiple Telus towers in the area. With the roaming agreements your phone should connect to those cellular towers as a part of extended coverage (Fido-EXT). In order to use data in extended coverage, your device would need to have data roaming enabled. However, there are some limitations to its usage (ie majority of your usage still needs to be your home network).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Pupper

Absolutely it's speculation, but I'd put money on it. Yes, if I'm lucky, I get 3G for a minute or 2. So, that spotty "service" doesn't count. Sometimes I get EDGE, which is useless because I gave up my flip phone years ago.

is there even a point to this forum? I doubt anyone who can actually do anything reads these. Really is a shame, Fido has been a good company with good reception. Maybe I'll start my own company with great prices and no reception. Fido isn't even mailing it in. But I guess when the company is based in some office tower the east, the west isn't relevant. 

Confusedhere

Yeah. Theres no use here. You're better off posting on Reddit. However, if you think Fido help forums are bad, just visit Shaw forums. One troll/shill is like Trump and is replies to ever post in a troll like manner. His handle is mdk. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Yes, although Network Aid says there is no problem, you should still be able to file a report. If you can let your friends in the area that also experience trouble to do the same then our network team can investigate things quicker.

That said, to expedite things you can also gather the information we sent above and get in touch with us. This way tech support can open a ticket and our network teams can investigate! 

Confusedhere

The network team is aware. They just don't care. Period. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Pupper!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us, we'd love to help get this resolved. 

Have you by any chance reported the network quality via the Network Aid section of the Fido app? We invite you to do that and let others in the area do the same - this way our network team can be aware!

Alternatively, you can also contact us with the specific location. You'll need to be transferred over to tech support and a ticket can be opened. Make sure you have the below info first so that they can send it right away, what we need is :

- The exact place where coverage is weak (exact address if possible)

- How far you need to go before coverage improves (an exact address or cross street) 

- The network type - LTE / 3G. Does it happen with both of those?

Please gather that information, and contact us when you can! 

Pupper

Reception problems are in the base area at Cypress Mountain in West Vancouver BC. Reception has been fine for years. This year it is absolute garbage. It switches to 3G, LTE for a second, back to 3G. Edge. I'm trying to work here.

Pupper

Network Aid Tells me there's nothing wrong with the network. But everyone knows there's something wrong with them at work.

Confusedhere

network aid is useless. stop using it. Use a third party app cellular tower locator. 

Pupper

The reception for both fido and Rogers on Cypress Mountain has gone downhill this season. It WAS good before, so something has changed. It's now complete garbage. Freedom and Shaw is just as useless, but at least they admit that it's out of area. It has been good for as long as I can remember- and now I get EDGE and 3G. Is Fido trying to get people to go back to flip phones?  I'm up there daily and I'm getting fed up with the lack of reception. I'll probably switch to Telus if it doesn't improve soon. I hope nobody dies on the mountain because their Rogers/ Fido phone didn't work when another network would have saved their lives.

Hey @Pupper

That is quite odd! We definitely don't want anyone to get hurt and not be able to reach out for help! Sad

If possible while at that location, I would recommend that you reach out to us by phone to speak to a technical support representative.

You can also send feedback directly through the NetworkAid feature on the Fido My Account app. 

Are you able to make phone calls when you're there? 

Ansm

For Fido app to work required Internet convection, which is this thread about

Hey @Ansm

Welcome to the Community!

I am not entirely sure I understand your request about the Fido My account app. Can you please clarify?

Ansm

Sorry , I mean I tried connections to Fido app, but there was no internet connection . And this thread is all about internet connection . 

Thank yo for the clarification! 

If you are located in the same area and are having trouble with your services, we would suggest reaching out to our technical support team via phone as Valerie suggested.