Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch back to 2 networks (2.4 - 5G)

SimiD
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

Fido switched that I can see only one WI FI and depending on the speed at switched my devices from the 2.4G to the 5G network, but I don't like this. I need to connect specific devices to the 2.4G network and others to 5G so I would like to have back 2 wifi networks. Any idea how to do this? I tried to configure from the modem but it doesn't have this feature.

27 REPLIES 27

i2ice

Hi there, 

I tired what you suggested and it still doesn't allow me to set different SSID names. Whatever name I change, gets automatically changed for the other band. Likewise when I enable or disable it. It's either all or nothing. Is there a way to have seperate names for the two bands? 

My windows surface laptop gets tripped up when it can't choose a network

Hello @i2ice,

Welcome to the community!

Which router do you have? 

i2ice

Hi Anthony, 

I have the Hitron CODA-4582U 2A.

Did you find the band steering setting? You need to disable this in order to separate the 2 bands. This would be in the Wireless - Advanced menu. 

ed426
I'm a participant level 1

The default username and password printed on the back of the modem doesn't work.

I just got this modem few days ago, i have the modem setup using the quick connect.

I was trying to login to the configuration and disable the wifi because i want to use my other router instead.

Tried what's mentioned above, but still no luck. 

The tech support call take hours to have someone to pickup the phone, i don't want to call the line again.

Would anyone able to help me with this?

I have tried resetting the modem by pressing the reset button at the back.

Hello @ed426,

Welcome to the community!

Did you have this resolved yet? 

BukInHamm
I'm a participant level 3

Life is not fair. My CODA-4582 modem with band steering was replaced with the CGN3 modem and this particular CGN3 modem doesn't have band steering. The problem is I DO like the band steering feature as it probably connects the appropriate devices to the appropriate frequency. Fido insisted they had to change my modem when I got a new promotion instead of just giving me the promo price. How can I keep my old CODA modem?

hazeem

I was in the same boat man. After a lot of trouble and Fido unable to help out. I went to a nearby wireless wave where they had the CODA-4582 modem available. I signed up for a new 3rd account and cancelled my original (before the promo) as well as the new account Fido created for the promotion. It was a hassle but the result is much better. I have much faster internet speeds and range with CODA 4582

Hey @BukInHamm! Smiley

Can you please confirm which modem you have exactly? Right now, band steering is supported on the :

•  Hitron CGN3AMF Fido Wi-Fi Modem
  •  Hitron CODA-4582U Fido Wi-Fi Modem

The  Hitron CGN3-U does not support it though. Is this the one you have or is it the CGN3AMF? If it's the CGN3-U the feature is not supported, you'll have to manually connect each device to the network you prefer. 

I hope this info helps! 

BukInHamm

Hi Nick,

I have the CGN3U model which does not support band steering. I do know that. My question is, since I have the old CODA-4582 modem and yet to send back, is customer service or technical service able to activate that one for my account instead of giving me the old CGN3U model which is considerably older? I am yet to send it back after Customer service sent me two of the CGN3U models for my account and frankly, I prefer the CODA model to the CGN3U model.

Hey @BukInHamm! Smiley

Since you have the modem you want, we can look into what we can do. What we suggest is calling tech support at 1-888-259-3436 and they can take a look to see what can be done!

Hope that helps!

BukInHamm

Hi Nick,

Talk about misinformation. Fido is now becoming the number one company for misinformation. So yesterday, I was told by one associate in customer service that it was not possible for them to change over my modem since the modem is tied to the promotions. I did not understand that because if I walk into a store that has different modems in store, I can have them activate either of the modems depending on what they have in stock (In this case, CODA being my preference). I decided to call again today and after holding for one hour, an associate in Customer service told me that to do what I am requesting, I have to speak to technical support (which I found odd since they are there to help in times of trouble) but anyway, they were "kind' enough to transfer me to technical support. After holding for another 45 minutes on hold the person that came on told me that changing over of modems is probably possible but that it has to be done by customer service. I told him that I came to him from customer service but he insisted there is nothing he can do and proceeded to put me on hold again to wait for customer service in the "hopes" that they can help me out. Wow. Wow. Wow. How else can I show my frustration? Now I'm on hold again waiting for customer service.....This is definitely not worth the discount price I am trying to get OR they are making me literally work for it. I may just go ahead and order a decent router and just use the modem. But I still would like to have the CODA modem and not the CGN3U modem which is old.

BukInHamm

Update:

After holding for over another hour until about 9:06pm, I got someone from customer service on the phone and unfortunately, I'm being told the internet queu closed at 9pm EST and it's now 9:06pm so there's nothing they can do. Wow. I have to repeat this again tomorrow.

I've sent you a PM @BukInHamm! Please get back to me there. 

We're going to look into what can be done together @BukInHamm!

I'm sending you a PM, please get back to me there Smiley

BukInHamm

Thanks Nick,

I think the best solution to these Wifi issues with the CGN3U or the CGN3XXX series of modems and the CODA-4582U modem is for customers to just get a good quality router and just use the modem as a modem. I was doing that before I switched and got my first CGN3ACSMR modem from Fido. Then after I got the CODA-4582U modem that really showed me the advantage of a good router (turns out the CODA-4582U was better than my D-Link 860L router I was using), I have realized I need a good router. Unfortunately now that I'm hooked, I can't get it because I got a deal.

I have decided it's not worth the hassle because after I change my plan on Fido Internet again, I will be asked to return the modem and go through this whole cycle. So finally, my order of TP-Link Archer A9 router arrived just this afternoon. It's set up and wow, what a difference. Guys, save yourself the hassle and just get a good quality router and just use the modem as a modem. Leave the WiFi to WiFi geniuses who make routers. Right after connecting the router, it showed me there's a firmware upgrade already and has been upgraded. It's like night and day. I will drop off the CODA-4582U modem to a Canada Post and have it sent back to a lucky customer who might benefit from it. It's really a good router/modem combo.

StephenGuan

i am using CGN3AMF modem. how ever i could not find 'advanced' setting in my page.  anything i can do? Thanks

StephenGuan_0-1606254923422.png

Hey @StephenGuan! Welcome to the community. Smiley

Can you clarify which settings you are trying to edit? Our support is limited when it comes to how you wish to rearrange your home internet network. That said, you can find useful tools such as the user manual guide online to better assist you. 

Also, our home internet technical support team is available 24/7 by phone or live chat, should you require further assistance. 

Demola

Please help. I have the same issue. Router model is hitron CGN3U.

Hey @Demola

Welcome to the Community. Smiley

What exactly happens when you try to follow the steps outlined above?