Thread for reporting SMS spam

MVP
MVP

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Thread for reporting SMS spam

***UPDATE***

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to flag all of these to us.

Now you can send any SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the messages to be audited and potentially blocked from the network if confirmed to be spam.

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726. You can do this easily by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button. No additional charges apply for this Smiley

Thanks again for all your help!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 2 J_K_B
I'm a Participant Level 2

I was told to take a snapshot of the SPAM message, but am not able to send pictures via SMS so cannot forward to 7726 (I've deleted the original message). Is there an email where I can send the picture (for future reference)? The picture DOES include the phone number it came from. When I type in 7726 it automatically changes to 772-6 which is not recognized as a number. 

The SPAM message was received from: +1 (705) 413-0323
It read: "Fido to 604-728-****, here is the funds we ow you for overcharging your previous bills:"  (note spelling errors
Under that was: "Tap to Load Preview" and a link to "securefunds.fund"

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 376 of 443

Hey @J_K_B!

Usually we would suggest that you forward the message itself to 7726 (SPAM) by opening the message, pressing and holding the body of the message, then pressing the forward button to send it to 7726.

Since the you received message has already been deleted, and it included a link, you can send your screenshot to internetabuse@fidomobile.ca using the subject line: Suspicious Text Message Received. 

It's important you include the phone number that sent the text message and that you paste your screenshot into the body of the email instead of sending it as an attachment.

We'll take it from there. You won't receive a reply to your email.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 377 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 2 J_K_B
I'm a Participant Level 2

I've sent it to the email mentioned - thank-you. Next time I'll forward the actual text (if it comes again) and include the phone number it came from in the text. . . as per the instructions in this Thread.

Thanks, Amanda -

Joy

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 378 of 443
MVP
MVP

Hello J_K_B,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information!

For future reference, forwarding the messages to 7726 (SPAM) won't include the number from where the message was sent. That said, most of the SPAM messages (and calls) are sent from spoofed numbers. That is, the numbers shown do not usually belong to the actual senders of the messages. They often belong to innocent unsuspecting people who are unaware their numbers are being spoofed.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 379 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 1 Wayneroc
I'm a Participant Level 1

I’ve tried to forward the spam message to 7726, but never got it delivered. I don’t know why. Maybe someone can help.

here is the snapshotE045038A-9F86-4ACD-87B6-7E13D5DBB80C.jpeg

The number is 647-327-4684

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 380 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 1 Origamiman

Screenshot_20190118-101955_Messages.jpgThis was the SMS Message.Screenshot_20190118-112042_Samsung Internet.jpgThis is where it takes you.Got this text and thought it looked susoicious.

I searched the phone number and got a return indicating it was from Rogers/Fido from a store in Joliette Quebec. Having recently upgraded my phone with Fido I thought maybe it was a refund or something of that nature. So I went ahead and clicked it and got this second pic above to select my bank to make the deposit in. I entered my cardnumber and proceded to log into my account. I then quickly noticed that this site was not securred with encryption. The response page I got after that was a server error. I quickly used another device to login to my Bank and changed my Password. I then called the number itwas sent to me from and I got an automated response that this number wasn't in service yet. 1-450-750-0437 Is the number. I also then forwarded this text to the 7726 (SPAM) reporting service. 

Attention to detail is important. The "s" was missing from the http:// so it's not secure! Call the number it was sent from and see if it's actually in service first. This one wasn't.

Sincerely Ken

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 381 of 443
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Thanks for sharing your experience @Origamiman

Glad to learn you were able to protect your account in time!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 382 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 1 Jmar0182

Hey, 

C65D1E8F-0E30-405C-BC99-1B968A05FC1C.png

i got a text that reads:

You received a refund from Fido due to an overcharge on account linked to phone number (my #here).
Deposit your funds

519-969-7042

Now I know this isn’t true. I checked out the phone number online and it’s from an animal hospital. Not sure what’s going on but I sent it to spam.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 383 of 443
Former Moderator FidoValeska
Former Moderator

Hey @Jmar0182

Welcome to the community Smiley 

Thank you for sharing the screenshot, 

It is possible that the number was used as spoofing. 

You can get more information regarding spoofing here

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 384 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 1 Dmbears

D7B4B78A-3217-489E-93EF-83161EC356F3.pngThis is a text scam?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 385 of 443
Former Moderator FidoPhilP
Former Moderator

Hey there Dmbears!  

First of all, congrats on your first post and welcome to the community!  

Now, as for the text message, it is definitely a scam! I would advise you to forward the body of the message to 7726 (SPAM) to have them investigate the sender! It goes a long way into the fight against scams. For more information about potential scams, don't hesitate to read our library article about it right here!   Have a great evening and stay awesome

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 386 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 1 Hnysweet

Screenshot_20190214-200254.jpg

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 387 of 443
MVP
MVP

Hello Hnysweet,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 388 of 443
I'm a Participant Level 1 jawbone

I got an SMS message with "sync-fido.online" in it - I typed it in instead of clicking and it took me to a very legit looking Fido page about being overcharged and that I would soon be directed to the next page to claim my refund - I backed out of it and came here
Anyone else get this one??

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 389 of 443

Hey @jawbone

Thanks for bringing this up

It doesn't sound like one of our SMS. I would suggest referring to the Accepted Solution for this Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 390 of 443