Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Ds1211
I'm a participant level 1

FlDO BlLL DEPARTMENT***.
Due to a mistake on our last mobile bill services on the 5th of May, we are offering you a sum of $158.83 CAD to make up for this inconvenience.
Get hold of it here:
http://178.18.252.222

Data rates may apply*

i have received this message today from a number +1 (902) 315-2288. 

Thanks for the heads up @Ds1211! That's definitely not from us and you can forward it to us at 7726. Smiley

We've also moved your post to this thread for visibility.

Cayne

5mkgaku1kcv61

It was only a matter of time when someone would use the blackout to start scamming people

HN11

I got a text from this number (12049610658) saying that FIDO BILL DEPARTMENT*** sent me money and I get hold of it here: http://95.111.225.145.

What is this?? Of course I didn't click on it.  

Hello @HN11,

That is definitely a spam message.

You can send any spam SMS you receive to 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the message to be audited and then blocked from the Fido network. This can be easily done on most devices by pressing and holding the body of the message, then press the forward button and send it to 7726. No additional charges apply for using this service.

You can also get more information here.

Esan1

(819) 434-6256 sent a message:- (In French) Cher membre, notre equipe de facturation a recemment detecte une erreur dans votre facture du mois denier. Nous vous avons envoye un total de 135$ CAD a la suite de cette faute.

Reclamer ici:

http://79.143.188.17/

**Don't navigate to the link above**

Translation:- There was an error in my bill last month a sum of money was sent. Initially i was temporarily deceived as there factually an error in my last bill but for another amount, I thought Fido reversed the bill correction. I logged into my Fido account and the correction was unchanged.

I did some research and this notice from Fido was important:- "

"When Fido sends you a text, it will be from a 4 or 5 digit short code and not from a normal 10 digit phone number. If you get one from a number like 587-123-4567, itā€™s not us."

Hi @Esan1!

Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for taking the time to post the smishing attempt you received here. You can forward it to 7726 (SPAM) if it hasn't been done already! 

wendywlyoung

(855) 231-8736 This number keeps calling me everyday and it's really annoying. When I pick up, it hangs up immediately. I've tried blocking the number but somehow the calls still go through. I tried calling the number to see what company it is and they say they are "Fido" 

ShaunaS
I'm a participant level 3

I just want update this situation.  As of 8pm mountain time, this number still states it is a Fido number.  It goes on to say that if you want your number temoved from the Fido calling list to choose option '2'.

I did not go any further into the system, as I didn't want to give them my phone number, but I feel like this number, after 2 months of it being reported and acknowledged here by Fido as illegitimate, should no longer be up and running.

Does Fido have no legal recourse here? Why is this number still being allowed to continue to prey on Fido customers?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @ShaunaS

We do have measures in place to combat spam/fraudulent phone calls and we're working hard both with the CRTC and industry partners in order to fight these fraud/spam attempts.

That said, it does prove tricky as the numbers can often be spoofed and may be legitimate numbers. The one mentioned above does seem to be a toll-free number. What we suggest, is that anyone receiving these calls reports them asap. The best place to do this would be directly to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. You can do that here.

I hope that helps out! 

Hey @wendywlyoung! Philippe here. I hope you're doing well. Smiley

That looks like it could be a spam number. It's certainly not from us. I suggest you simply block in on your phone to avoid dealing with it.

EJ20

it is unfortunate that messages like this still happens.

F655AC94-429C-4D3D-98BA-BA4E58DE4BE1.jpeg

ā€ƒ

wickie
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

I too, have received several of these type of phone messages over the years ... even one as a text message recently.   So, you are not alone EJ20. 

But yes, it is definitely spam.  Simply delete it without even opening it/ clicking on it.  

wickie 

Hey Smiley This definitely sounds like a spam call to me. You can report those anytime here 

DrishtiPurohit

576E5A78-48BE-42FC-A78D-5BF87380B075.png

ā€ƒ

I received this SMS few days back but I found something suspicious so I didn't go further with the process.

Hey @DrishtiPurohit! Philippe here. Welcome to the community. Smiley

I've moved your post here, as it deals with this very subject. You were correct to be suspicious, Fido will never refund you in this way.

Thanks for letting us all know!

daweb
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Screenshot_20210124-131545.png

ā€ƒ

Hello Daweb,

Thanks for the information! You're right, those messages are most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps šŸ˜€

Cheers

MShaw

I've been receiving these texts which I know are scam.

[FlDO MOBILE DEPARTMENT]-
Due to an overbiIIing Iast month, we issued you a cash-back of $135.60 CAD
CIaim here: http://89.45.4.123/

*Data rates may apply

Hello MShaw,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps šŸ˜€

Cheers

dovan

Screenshot_20210112-055352_Messages.jpg

ā€ƒspam text beware