Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Nicole32
I'm a participant level 1

FidoPhilippe_0-1609637766953.png

Hello Nicole32,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

vinokadams
I'm a participant level 2

9FC2F791-5642-40F3-986C-DAFC660BD4B8.png

 

Hello @vinokadams,

Yes, definitely it is fake, you forward any spam SMS receive to 7726 (SPAM).  This will submit the message to be audited then blocked from the Fido network. This can be easily done on most devices by pressing and holding the body of the message, then press the forward button and send it to 7726. 

Superman3

Please help I really need it my rent money is gone and I'm need to go to call or email

Hey @Superman3

I'm sorry to hear that you were a victim of a scam. You would need to contact your bank immediately for anything related to your bank account. They would have a process in place and would be able to help you securing your account and funds.

Hope this helps

Superman3

I'm wondering if you guys can call me back please because my rent money is in that and after that I don't have anything going to have any food or anything for my hamster guinea pig and I'm going crazy I'm like sitting here crying I need you guys to help me please

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

make it easy. when in doubt contact the source directly. i.e. if I received sms from my bank that my account is frozen. I call my bank asap to confirm using bank contact number on back of my card. 

aw13
I'm a participant level 3

4AA0516B-6D25-4ADB-B816-C596BDC0DC6A.jpeg

 

This old trick is still going around.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @aw13

Thanks for flagging this as well.

I've moved your post to this thread so we can continue compiling example. Remember to forward it to 7726 (SPAM) as well so we can add it to our database!

Roxy0905

it doesn't work. I send it to 7726 and it doesn't deliver ? Not sure what's wrong 

Hey @Roxy0905! Welcome to the community. Smiley

I'll be happy to help you with that! I'll need to ask you a few questions though:

1. What kind of phone do you have?

2. What steps do you take to forward the SMS?

3. Do you get a specific error message? If yes, what is it?

4. Are you able to send SMS normally?

Let us know.

Roxy0905

I have iPhone XR and I started a new message and put the 4 digits in that I saw on the Fido website that everyone on Fido website was saying and I put in the screen shot of the message I got and sent it then I got an error message. It just said message can't be delivered and yeah I can send sms normally! 

Hello Roxy0905,

While some of us have previously provided screen captures of messages in this thread, those images were only for this community. The actual SMS SPAM reporting is unable to receive pictures or MMS. You would need to forward the message (not a screen shot) to 7726 (SPAM). You can view details on how to forward SMS using iOS here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Elsie1

I received text message saying I have a refund and asking where to transfer the money? Is this a scam?

Hello Elsie1,

Sorry for the delayed reply... Yes, that text message is likely a SPAM scam.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

aw13

Do fish swim?

;-]

Yes, it is a scam. Delete the text and never think of it ever again.

Goodbye.

Laddie

I just received a text message on my phone saying I was getting a reimbursement for $44 to my account (my phone number).  It was from a phone number I didn't recognize.  My husband told me it was a scam and to block the number which I did and then deleted.  I looked the number up, but could not find out who sent it.  

Hey @Laddie! I hope you're doing well. Smiley

I've move your post here, as it has many examples of spam messages people receive. You did the right thing, as we never send reimbursements by text. You can also forward these types of messages to us at 7726. Smiley

Laddie

Thanks, yes, I was almost fooled at first until I realized the account # mentioned was my Fido cell number.  Sure have to be careful.

Jan76
I'm back
I'm back

Just got this text, is it spam/virus or Fido?

71F2BEDE-6C18-404C-B7E9-87EF5C541E21.png