Thread for reporting SMS spam

MVP
MVP

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Thread for reporting SMS spam

***UPDATE***

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to flag all of these to us.

Now you can send any SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the messages to be audited and potentially blocked from the network if confirmed to be spam.

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726. You can do this easily by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button. No additional charges apply for this Smiley

Thanks again for all your help!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 450
MVP
MVP

Hello Jawbone,

Welcome to the community!

That message would most definitely be SPAM. As FidoCharles suggested, you could forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for auditing.

Yes, the spammers/scammers are getting quite good a making things appear legitimate, which is why we need to stay vigilant. A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't reimburse an overcharge via email or text message. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, Fido's domain is Fido.ca, not Fido.online. Also, I'm guessing the SMS came from an actual 10 digit phone number. If Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 391 of 450
I'm a Participant Level 1 Loe
I'm a Participant Level 1

From mobile # 250-457-3188

Fido Inc:You have received a Mobile etransfer
Click this link:http://indictranslation.com/ To Deposit your transfer

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 392 of 450
MVP
MVP

Hello Loe,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 393 of 450
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Greeetings,

Just received an scam/spam sms from +(647)241-9056 with a link to click on.

Take care :Veryhappy:

:Image-1.jpg

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 394 of 450
Highlighted

Thanks for the heads up @silentbuddha!

I've moved your post to the relavant thread here.

Keep them coming. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 395 of 450
I'm a Participant Level 1 PrettyPinkTDI

I just revived this today 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 396 of 450

Hey @PrettyPinkTDI,

Welcome to Fido Community!

Please forward any SPAM message you receive to 7726. We'll audit it and if it's confirmed to be SPAM, we'll block it from our network.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 397 of 450
I'm a Participant Level 1 smehta

Please help, why did I receive a message claiming to give cash back form FIDO. 

Please look into it doesn't look genuine.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 398 of 450

Hey @smehta!

I've moved your post to this thread as it's related. 

The message you've received is definitely not from us. You can find more details about how to handle spam text messages in the solution above. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 399 of 450
I'm a Participant Level 1 Traceym

This is just a post to say not answer a call coming from the number 858-987-8609 as it's a scammer and they are charging you long distance. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 400 of 450