cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIDO app doesn't work outside of Canada?

fcarter452
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Does the FIDO app require cell data only to function?! 

Every time I go to Mexico I am unable to access my accounts via the FIDO app on my iPhone  when a new SIM card is installed.  Always an error message each time.  Yes, I have allowed access via WiFi.

If FIDO cell data is required ,this makes no sense for an smartphone app and puts FIDO customers who travel abroad at a disadvantage because they must enable roaming n their home account to access their online accounts when abroad - a $14 charge per day for the privilege of self-service.  Boo.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fcarter452,

Welcome to the community!

No, the Fido My Account app does not require cellular data to function properly. You can verify cellular data is not required by disabling data and using Wifi to access the app while you have the Fido SIM inserted. However, I believe it requires the Fido SIM to be inserted to verify the device and account. I think that's why the app can provide some information without requiring customers to actually log into the app. Only certain account functions require logging-in. If the Fido SIM card is removed, the app will not be able to verify the device and account, even if the app had previously been verified by receiving the authorisation code.

If you wish to check your account from abroad, I think you will need to log into your My Account via Fido.ca.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers